• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

I've seen Tyler play a number of times, and I've never observed an attitude issue.

Originally Posted by RJKarl
Other than Codi being a better all around player....

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the first "expert" who can tell me the difference between a guy ranked #80 and #140.

Quote:
When I asked a major publication's national college bball writer what the difference between #40 and #100,he just laughed.

There is a difference between Top 25 and #75 but much less between #75 and #125.

When you get out of the Top 25-40, it can often be as arbitrary as when the kid is seen or what team he plays for.

Seeing as Lewis is ranked #59 in the RSCI and CMM is ranked #75, it seems you've found your "expert." Congratulations!

No what it shows is you don't understand the English language.

All I've said is ONE guy is a better all around player.

None of what you quoted says I can consistently tell who is better. But keep exptrapolating to your heart's content.

TITSWF retweeted some good stuff tonight about 2013 Dematha PG Jairus Lyles being real high on Wake. I could definitely see us taking a PG in 2013 if CMM evolves into more of a scoring guard.

Not sure if the attitude is the issue with Tyler. He's always been a standup kid. The issue is more that he is small. He's probably closer to 5'9, 150-pounds than his listed 5'11, 165. Whether or not he can bulk up is absolutely essential to his chances at the ACC level. I'm sorry, even a 5'11, 165-pound point guard is going to struggle, especially when they lack the athleticism of a Ryan Harrow, for instance.

I know that everybody thinks that he'll just be a distributor, but contrary to Kendall Marshall, point guards have to be able to put the ball in the basket every once in awhile. Point guards have to be able to drive-and-kick and attack the basket. They have to be able to finish with contact. That's not even considering the defensive end of the floor. I'll be convinced that Lewis is the real deal once he tips the scale at 180.

Until then, I'm very pleased with Codi.

Dematha has an extremely strong program, doesn't it? Have we gotten a commit from there before?

He scored 47 points against Garner Road at the TOC. He can score. Size will be something going against him in the ACC for sure though.

Dematha has an extremely strong program, doesn't it? Have we gotten a commit from there before?

Yea they are loaded. Whole starting lineup is D1 usually.

Codi and Tyler are friends. Codi is still more of a combo in this stage of his development. I expect Codi to match up with DS-R on tuesday night more than Tyler. Tyler is all grown up and as you can see, quite the ball handler. I wouldn't underestimate him as a PG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khwseld8Glg

dv7 edit to embed the youtube

Last edited by a moderator:
After watching all the videos of these two kids, I have no idea how Tyler is ranked above Codi.

Codi has a better shot, better frame, good handle, he's quick, he can dunk the ball, and he can elevate off the dribble on his jump shot.

Tyler has a better handle and court vision, but 5'11" must be with tall shoes on, and that step-back push jumper will be useless in the college game against athletic guards. That doesn't look like a kid who will develop like Ish did physically.

I could see Tyler being successful as a pure passing point guard, will probably rack up assists... But he has a lot more to overcome than Codi does to be an effective ACC player. Somehow all of his highlights have him covered by a kid the same size as him.

Two words; Chris Corchiani

I like both guys, but I'm gonna take Randolph Childress over Chris Corchiani every time.

Tyler is gonna get called for some carries early in his career. As did CP3.

Tyler could become The Professor of And One.

With Tyler on your team you need two things:

1. You must have a big guy to erase his defenisve liabilities. A normal sized sized ACC PG will be a total mismatch on D. You will need an eraser.

2. You must play at a tempo to score 85+ppg. At that pace there is a lot of open court in which Tyler cna excel. At a low-mid 70s pace, the lane and court are more packed.

Last edited:
In the first half of that video, there were at least 6 carries and 2 travelling violation. 8 and 6 if he was playing against UNJ-Durham.

After watching all the videos of these two kids, I have no idea how Tyler is ranked above Codi.

Codi has a better shot, better frame, good handle, he's quick, he can dunk the ball, and he can elevate off the dribble on his jump shot.

Tyler has a better handle and court vision, but 5'11" must be with tall shoes on, and that step-back push jumper will be useless in the college game against athletic guards. That doesn't look like a kid who will develop like Ish did physically.

I could see Tyler being successful as a pure passing point guard, will probably rack up assists... But he has a lot more to overcome than Codi does to be an effective ACC player. Somehow all of his highlights have him covered by a kid the same size as him.

To the bolded, Tyler Lewis is far and away a better high school/AAU point guard. That's why. Like not even close. Skillset is Tyler Lewis all the way. Codi might have a prettier shot but it's not as good as Lewis's.

But I 100% agree with you, the issue for me is that size. Tyler Lewis reminds me a lot of Ryan Harrow, who was even better than Tyler in high school. The size didn't matter in high school but it definitely can in college, especially if you're not blazing quick, which I don't think either of them are. I think it's very possibly CMM is better than him in college.

I don't know how you are judging "better shot" but as they stand now, Codi's will be much more effective in college. It's "prettier" because he gets considerable elevation before release which will make it difficult to defend. Tyler's from what I have seen is more of a set shot, which compounded with his size will not be easy to get off in the ACC.

Tyler is a pure PG and definitely got much better handles and vision right now. Codi is more of a scorer.

To the bolded, Tyler Lewis is far and away a better high school/AAU point guard. That's why. Like not even close. Skillset is Tyler Lewis all the way. Codi might have a prettier shot but it's not as good as Lewis's.

But I 100% agree with you, the issue for me is that size. Tyler Lewis reminds me a lot of Ryan Harrow, who was even better than Tyler in high school. The size didn't matter in high school but it definitely can in college, especially if you're not blazing quick, which I don't think either of them are. I think it's very possibly CMM is better than him in college.

Definitely want to see Lewis play - he looks like a lot of fun to watch. Maybe I think of rankings more like NBA draft rankings, as in pro potential, and it doesn't seem like he has anywhere near the ceiling of CMM. Then again, if he's tearing up AAU top 10 point guards then what else can he prove at this point.

I will say that if I'm recruiting for Wake at the point we are now, I'll take CMM in a heartbeat. So much upside and he can play multiple positions.

I expect TJ Warren will pick NC State over Unc. I think we will be competitive in the ACC next season -2012-13 but I couldn't tell who we will jump over. There will be a lot of parity.

Back