• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC GOP overrides Perdue's Veto of Abortion Bill

I think abortion should be limited but this is a bad law. An ultrasound costs serious dollars. This is going to drive up health care costs. And I doubt it is ultimately going to limit the number of abortions.

I think if you go to an abortion clinic, 9 times out of 10 your mind is already made up. It'll be interesting to see some stats a year following this law to see of abortion rates fall.

Good. Maybe it will save a life.

I'd like to think it would but there is a more direct way to save lives... severely limit abortions based on rape, incest and the mother's survival. That's it. End of story. Millions of children get to experience life.

The more I think about this bill, the more I find it ridiculous.

The GOP wants to regulate a personal decision (GOP for small gov't and definitely staying out of personal decisions) about healthcare (GOP wants gov't out of healthcare) by basically levying a tax (GOP against raising taxes at all costs) that requires a woman to get an ultrasound.

The GOP wants to regulate a personal decision (GOP for small gov't and definitely staying out of personal decisions) about healthcare (GOP wants gov't out of healthcare) by basically levying a tax (GOP against raising taxes at all costs) that requires a woman to get an ultrasound.

This may be the one and only time I agree with you. It makes no sense. Except for the fact it may save a life or two. But it is not the best way to do it.

Ridiculus of course but not surprising. Pubs/baggers don't want limited government, they just want to spend money on different shit (and not pay for it). And this one really is shit.

Last edited:
People shouldn't have sex until and unless they're prepared to live with the possible consequences. Of course, those include pregnancy, STDs, etc.

I'm all for good and thorough sex education--which to my mind includes the above advice. And for doing what we can to limit unwanted pregnancies and abortions.

This bill? I haven't read it, but from the article I'd say it's not ideal but not entirely horrible. Doctors don't like it because they don't want anyone telling them what to do. And because it seems to increase their risk of being sued. Abortion advocates don't like it because its requirements tend to compel the physician and patient to recognize the fetus as a living human creature (person to many).

As usual, the whole argument hinges on whether or not you view the fetus as a (very vulnerable) person deserving of protection. If you do, then the rights to convenience or privacy of others becomes less important. If not, etc.

I do appreciate that there's a hypocrisy evident in those opposing governmental assurance of basic health care (etc.) and opposing (by government) easy access to abortion. No, preventing the destruction of life (if you can) isn't exactly the same as caring for life. But these two categories are not disparate, IMO.

People shouldn't have sex until and unless they're prepared to live with the possible consequences. Of course, those include pregnancy, STDs, etc.

I'm all for good and thorough sex education--which to my mind includes the above advice. And for doing what we can to limit unwanted pregnancies and abortions.

This bill? I haven't read it, but from the article I'd say it's not ideal but not entirely horrible. Doctors don't like it because they don't want anyone telling them what to do. And because it seems to increase their risk of being sued. Abortion advocates don't like it because its requirements tend to compel the physician and patient to recognize the fetus as a living human creature (person to many).

As usual, the whole argument hinges on whether or not you view the fetus as a (very vulnerable) person deserving of protection. If you do, then the rights to convenience or privacy of others becomes less important. If not, etc.

I do appreciate that there's a hypocrisy evident in those opposing governmental assurance of basic health care (etc.) and opposing (by government) easy access to abortion. No, preventing the destruction of life (if you can) isn't exactly the same as caring for life. But these two categories are not disparate, IMO.

Some of us were adopted and think life is kind of cool. I've engaged with liberals who think adoption is evil and abortion is a better option. So, at the end of the day I think you have to live with your own decisions and hope a higher power doesn't rain toads on you.

I'd bet most adopted people are glad they're around. Not that this determines much else, but it's worth considering. I recall the first time I viewed my own birth certificate and realized that my adoptive mother's name and not my birth mother's name was on the thing. Adoption took on a whole new meaning for me that day.

Anyhow, raining toads??? If that's the worst, whew. ;)

Some of us were adopted and think life is kind of cool. I've engaged with liberals who think adoption is evil and abortion is a better option. So, at the end of the day I think you have to live with your own decisions and hope a higher power doesn't rain toads on you.

nobody believes that

Wait, what? Why would they think such a thing?

Maybe they thought orphanages were a bad thing (which, I'm no expert but I could see where that might be the case), but there is no way a normal rational person thought adoption was evil. I'd guess by "liberals" you mean one cray guy on the street. No offense, I just think you're greatly exaggerating to make a point.

And then the GOP wants to put the kid on welfare. Hilarious.

:rulz:

nobody believes that

I'm totally serious. She was left of shoo. She maintained that a woman who puts her child up for adoption is scarred for life and hence abortion is a much better option. You can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:
I'm totally serious. She was left of shoo. She maintained that a woman who puts her child up for adoption is scarred for life and hence abortion is a much better option. You can't make this stuff up.

Crazy. I wonder if she had a bad adoption experience.

Back