• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pat Summitt Has Died

Pat has always reminded me of my MIL (though my MIL isn't the ass-kicker I've always imagined Pat is). Now, they are both battling Alzheimers far too soon. Tragic.

Edit: and the tags... really, folks?

Just read the ESPN story - very sad. Coach Summitt transcends women's basketball. I hope her meds and mental exercises allow her to continue to be the coach she has been for the last 35+ years for at least a while and best wishes to her, her family, friends, and players.

Pat has always reminded me of my MIL (though my MIL isn't the ass-kicker I've always imagined Pat is). Now, they are both battling Alzheimers far too soon. Tragic.

Edit: and the tags... really, folks?

What is the difference between Alzheimers and early onset dementia?

What is the difference between Alzheimers and early onset dementia?

Dementia is a symptom of Alzheimer's but can also be caused by other disorders, and generally refers to a loss of memory and impairment of cognitive functions.

Alzheimer's is a specific disease, which has dementia as one of it's symptoms.

I go to Knoxville from time-to-time and one of the mains roads through the campus is Pat Summitt Blvd.

Extremely sad news. We are dealing with a legend when we are discusing this coach. She is the John Wooden of women's hoops.

According to the Sportscenter piece I saw, her dementia is alzheimer's. It's considered early-onset because the disease typically doesn't present until people reach 65 and anyone younger than that gets it classified as early-onset dementia.

According to the Sportscenter piece I saw, her dementia is alzheimer's. It's considered early-onset because the disease typically doesn't present until people reach 65 and anyone younger than that gets it classified as early-onset dementia.

See updated post below.

Last edited:

Such a shame. Feherty's show on the golf channel last night was with Peter Oosterhuis, former European & PGA tour golfer and long time broadcaster on the CBS golf crew and he's got the same thing as Summit. A lady at our church got that, before the disease she sang solos a lot, had a beautiful voice, for a 50 something she was a very pretty lady too, just had her first grandchild as well. That disease reduced her to a child like state from what I hear in a very short time and she passed within a couple years of finding out.

I few years ago a lady in her 50's at my church was diagnosed with that. Before that she sung in the choir and did solos sometimes, beautiful voice, and a very pretty older lady with a really sweet personality. From what I understand now, she functions like a small child as far as her ability to communicate and do things for herself. Very, very sad.
Maybe you should get checked out? ;)

Maybe you should get checked out? ;)

Lol, you know what, after I typed that I thought I had probably already posted that when the thread first came up. Damn, just realized it was only a couple posts up too, heading to the neuro doc now, lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Sad news

I read almost the whole thread before realizing it started in 2011 from the time of the diagnosis. Wondered why a couple posts said "hope she's still able to coach the team." Figured maybe somebody meant coach them from heaven or something. Then after 2 or 3 of those I realized those posts were 5 years old.

RIP Coach.

She helped bring women's sports from the b-league into prominence.

RIP Coach.

She helped bring women's sports from the b-league into prominence.

Some basketball programs go that direction. Others have different experiences.

R.I.P. Coach.

Terrible news! What makes things even worse is that Tyler could have carried on her tradition but then he got distracted.

They told a great story on ESPN radio. She dropped by men's prCtice when Bruce Pearl was coach. They guys were dogging it, lollygagging through practice. Summitt took over practice. She had the guys line up and start running sprints. One guy vomited twice before she was through.

Back