• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DirecTV NFL Ticket - might be worth a phone call...

Online price I'm getting quoted at is $56 a month for the 2nd best package. Price actually goes up the farther down the feature line you go.

I'm betting they'll do better than that, especially if I'm switching from TWC. What do you guys think?

I bet you could get a better deal if you called them.

Should I call TWC first, tell them I'm switching, get them to give me their best price. Then call DTV?

I'm thinking that would work best, especially if DTV isn't willing to deal that much with me.

Should I call TWC first, tell them I'm switching, get them to give me their best price. Then call DTV?

I'm thinking that would work best, especially if DTV isn't willing to deal that much with me.

Go to SatelliteGuys.us or DBStalk.com and read up on new user deals. You used to be able to get an additional discount for having AAA (even if you don't actually have AAA), a discount for signing up for auto-pay, maybe some more stuff.

All told a top package with free nfl ticket should be like $50/mo first year $75/mo 2nd year, or thereabouts. This should include HDDVR and locals with some temporary free movie channels.

TWC, didn't try very hard to keep me, assholes.

Looks like I'm going with DTV either way now.

Go to SatelliteGuys.us or DBStalk.com and read up on new user deals. You used to be able to get an additional discount for having AAA (even if you don't actually have AAA), a discount for signing up for auto-pay, maybe some more stuff.

All told a top package with free nfl ticket should be like $50/mo first year $75/mo 2nd year, or thereabouts. This should include HDDVR and locals with some temporary free movie channels.

That's for one TV. Once you add extra DVRs, boxes, and even their protection package, it goes up by quite a bit.

It just pisses me off. They didn't even try to get me a discount or anything! I guess I got a hardass.

That's for one TV. Once you add extra DVRs, boxes, and even their protection package, it goes up by quite a bit.

I'd only ever need another box and that probably wouldn't be for a few months.

Our bill with DTV had gotten out of control. I just called and got it down to less than $100. I had/have the premium sports package and HBO, as well as 3 DVRs (1 is HD) and an extra box. I ended up getting a $20/month reduction in cost for 24 months, and a $10 and $5/month discount for 6 mos., as well as free Sunday Ticket and 6 mos. of Showtime free.

My girlfriend watches Bravo, E!TV, MTV, HGTV and VH1. Will she be fine?

If I mess with her TV, it will not be good for me :p

People still watch that channel?

In all seriousness, though, I considered Direct TV when I first moved to Arizona but I didn't like the 2 year contract since my work tends to make me move around a bit and living in an apartment you have to hop your apartment faces the right direction to get signal. If you know you'll be in one place for a while, though, or know you'll always be in a house even if you move (they will transfer your service for free for you) it's definitely worth it.

I have Cox Cable here and the HD sports package is awesome for college sports but I did break down and get the NFL Sunday ticket through my PS3. It's so worth it.

If you get the Direct TV, make sure you know what you're signing up for and the terms. They'll throw a ton of free stuff at you when you sign up but then the stuff is on auto renewal after a certain time period and it can increase the bill significantly.

I'm on the phone with them right now. This stuff is hilarious.

"Cinema direct is a free gift I am giving you."

So its probably the wrong time to be saying this, but the 2 year contract worries me :rofl:

I figure since you can move your service for free that it won't be a huge deal if I do end up moving next year.

I figure since you can move your service for free that it won't be a huge deal if I do end up moving next year.

Yeah. I don't see myself renewing after all these deals I get for signing up run out, though. The price goes up to like $72/month without them in the second year.

I jotted down some notes during my call. The dude was trying all the mad sales skillz he could on me, such as:

• Vague reference to buying a Big Mac that I still don't understand
  • Compared shopping around to perusing a magazine for coupon deals that you don't know you really need
  • Changes happen in life, and "DirecTV is there for you, should you experience something like lost wages."
  • I'm "part of the DTV family"

If somebody tells me this: * I'm "part of the DTV family" on the phone, I am immediately asking who my crazy but rich uncle is, and if he will pay for my service.

What a horrible line.

A few options for a 2nd TV (assuming it's HD) :

1) All outputs are active on HD DVR's, so you can run an HDMI cable to one TV and some component outs to another TV and watch HD on two tv's. Of course, both TV's will be watching the same thing.

2) You can get another basic HD box (non DVR) and pay like $5/mo to enable whole-house DVR. Then you can see whatever is in your DVR on that basic box as well, plus you can watch normal tv of course. But you need to run cable to it from the sat dish, so do that during your free install.

3) You can connect an HTPC to your tv and use DirecTV2PC (free), which shows you everything in your DVR as well. You can't see a guide to channel surf life tv, but you can do something like setting a program to record via your smartphone and immediately start watching it on your computer.

Back