• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Twitter Thread aka Coach Scheier wins the Internet

I'm not talking about the players, I'm talking about the information that marketing receives from people who actually attend games on why they go and how likely they are to increase student population at these games. Why throw away any information you could receive on the topic that might provide even the smallest amount of insight. Any insight they receive that helps in the future is better than doing nothing.

Because the people at the dinner were already the dolts that kept coming to games in a futile situation. They don't need to know what brings you guys to the games as you are already there. It was a nice reward for your loyalty but it ended there. You aren't nearly as important as you seem to want to believe in this situation.

Plus, I know you are Cumberland are graduating this month. So you'll be gone next year. They probably know that too. Another reason why your ideas went straight into the trashcan. You're gone in a few weeks.

Most of my friends do go, the ones who don't just don't care about sports or have work to do. My only point is if you're a freshman, you just get on campus and a guy from the basketball team helps you move your stuff in and then you see it's Travis McKie then you might be more inclined to say "hey I know that guy, he helped me move my stuff in the first day I was here, I don't really know anyone here yet, I'll go see him play basketball and then go get wasted afterwards".

I don't think that's implausible. I also seem to remember Prosser liked to get out with the team and help freshmen move in. It might not help at all, but it doesn't hurt.

That was a team decision. They didn't have kids come to them and tell them what they had to do to convince them to come to games they would get into for free anyway.

Also, Skip is a hell of a lot more personable than [Redacted]. He could have sold ice to an Eskimo.

My point is every little thing outreach-wise helps. Does anyone disagree with that?

Again, and I'll repeat this slowly... I. Have. No. Problem. With. Media. Relations. Or. The. Staff. Listening. To. Students. I. Have. A. Problem. With. The. Players. Being. Forced. To. Sit. Down. And. Listen. To. Students. Bark. Nonsense. At. Them.

Hammer. Dropped.

You are the wrong people to talk to....quite frankly, you guys would go even if R. Kelly was pissing on you all game. This was PR/lip service from sports marketing/AD to get you to write nice things.

If they really were interested in increasing attendance, why not ask the people who are not going? Oh, and LOL at making Travis (et al) help students move in! (good thing this idea didn't come out when he was on the fence about transferring!)

I'm 99% sure Skip and the basketball team helped freshmen move in slash walked around during freshman orientation. You guys just want to be critical for the sake of being critical.

I'm 99% sure Skip and the basketball team helped freshmen move in slash walked around during freshman orientation. You guys just want to be critical for the sake of being critical.

I was a freshman RA at Wake from '01 to '03; they definitely did.

Again, and I'll repeat this slowly... I. Have. No. Problem. With. Media. Relations. Or. The. Staff. Listening. To. Students. I. Have. A. Problem. With. The. Players. Being. Forced. To. Sit. Down. And. Listen. To. Students. Bark. Nonsense. At. Them.

Well you don't seem to think that [Redacted] talking to them is helping and you get mad at him for not taking responsibility for being the person who is wrong, but when he does and offers up an alternative you hate it. I guess maybe Childress can talk to them instead since he was a player. Once again I don't see how any little thing that might help is that stupid or misguided.

Good to hear about Nix, he seems like a great hire. Lepore's a good guy. Unfortunately Wake lost a lot with Geoff Lassiter moving to the Dash.

Nix was great. He had some really funny stories. The best were about the Knicks and how incompetent and awful Jim Dolan and Isiah Thomas are. Let me just tell you that Nix absolutely hates Thomas and quote "he is the worst human being on earth" I would probably feel the same way if I were in his shoes too. I told him that I one sat across the aisle from Thomas on a plan and played with toy trucks with his kids in the aisle ( I was like 5 or 6 at the time and I have no recollection of this happening but my parents tell me that it did). Nix's response was why didn't you throw him off the plane?

IMO, they could help move kids in, but jeffy is going to have to put his salesman pants on and try to sell this not as a mandatory event so as not to risk pissing more players off

I was surprised when I listened to the BSD podcast last week how warm the relationship has gotten with the athletic department. They talked about how great they were being treated and listened to and they were sorry about their past sins and wanted their listeners to quit being so negative and give Bz a break. One of the guys said he was likely going to work for the athletic department during football season. It appears they have been Borged.

I love how talking to students is now viewed as a bad thing. I understand the point that people like numbers, cumberland, and myself are always going to go to games. But at the same time we are students too and we understand why other students don't attend the games like us. We also all have friends who don't attend the games so it's not like we're clueless on the subject matter. Also I have a serious question. If students won't even show up to the games do you think they would actually show up to a meeting to talk about why they don't attend the games? It's better for them to talk to people like us so that they can have ideas to propose to the other students when they are able to set up meetings with them. That is just my opinion.

I love how talking to students is now viewed as a bad thing. I understand the point that people like numbers, cumberland, and myself are always going to go to games. But at the same time we are students too and we understand why other students don't attend the games like us. We also all have friends who don't attend the games so it's not like we're clueless on the subject matter. Also I have a serious question. If students won't even show up to the games do you think they would actually show up to a meeting to talk about why they don't attend the games? It's better for them to talk to people like us so that they can have ideas to propose to the other students when they are able to set up meetings with them. That is just my opinion.

I think it's a good thing for the staff and Athletic Dept. to talk to students, but I agree with DV7 that having the players listen to students advice is dumb.

I was surprised when I listened to the BSD podcast last week how warm the relationship has gotten with the athletic department. They talked about how great they were being treated and listened to and they were sorry about their past sins and wanted their listeners to quit being so negative and give Bz a break. One of the guys said he was likely going to work for the athletic department during football season. It appears they have been Borged.

There are many different viewpoints regarding how we have been treated in the past with the AD. Once again, if you don't believe me then you can ask some of the other writers who have had spats in the past. We are in no way getting "had" by the AD. Establishing a working relationship with the AD of the program that we cover is beneficial to us because it provides better insight for our readers and brings out more information, which is the only reason that we blog in the first place.

Then you just don't understand how this board works. It's simple. If Bz is involved in it, it's dumb, bad, incompentent, devious. Period. Anybody who says otherwise is an AD plant or sucking up for a job in the AD.

Fair enough, just try to be honest brokers. Since I have been Bzout before it was cool. I have developed some negative feelings toward the mothership. I'm sure a lot of us find it very uncomfortable to be in this awkward position.

Then you just don't understand how this board works. It's simple. If Bz is involved in it, it's dumb, bad, incompentent, devious. Period. Anybody who says otherwise is an AD plant or sucking up for a job in the AD.

William of Occam agrees.

Didn't realize BSD had a podcast. Congratulations. I'm checking it out now.

The sad thing about this "Borging" is that we're seeing the "new Staak era" I've been fearing. numbers is using 8-24 as a basis of comparison. We heard this a lot from the curmudgeons on Scout during mediocre days of Odom, Skip, and Dino: "at least it's not the Staak era". 20 years from now current Wake students may embrace this same attitude with respect to whatever mess we see on the court. This is the next rock bottom.

Don't be a tramp, Robby, make them earn it before you give it up. Three dates, minimum.

:rofl:

Just finished listening to the BSD podcast. Not a lot of disagreement among the panelists. Some "people in the AD are great and they're trying really hard" talk near the end. Really brings home now numbers and doofus are almost indistinguishable from each other nowadays which is a huge departure from how things were during the season.

Back