• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

That's good to know. I haven't flown Delta in years.

They have those rows, it's called first class. Which is what you should be buying if you can't fit into a coach seat

I mean, I'm sorry but if you are spilling into someone else's seat and they complain about it, they are not the problem. You've gotta know yourself and buy a seat you can fit into

Or if you have a problem with your seat, you buy the first class ticket?

You could make the argument either way.

don't stop the victim from whining

I think you're a little confused about who is doing the whining.

so you honestly think people who fit in the seat are whiners when stuck next to someone spilling over into their seat/space?

Coach comes with risks. Pay for first class to avoid those risks.

Yeah one person is causing a problem if they sit in any seat but first class because they are too big but the person minding their business that fits in their seat is the problem? That's some dumb logic.

Yeah one person is causing a problem if they sit in any seat but first class because they are too big but the person minding their business that fits in their seat is the problem? That's some dumb logic.

If you're referring to my comments, I was just talking about who was doing the "whining". I think it's completely fair to regulate seats for maximum comfort...but your argument should be with the airlines for sacrificing common sense for squeezing out as many $dollars$ as they can. If there were airlines that would provide seats for different sized passengers, even for a slightly higher rate, it would solve many of these problems. (Meaning, offering larger coach seats for the same or slightly higher costs, not coach vs first class costs.) And it prevents people from directing vitriol and hatred toward their fellow human beings....at least for this reason.

impotent rage is a good term but not appropriate in this instance

If you're referring to my comments, I was just talking about who was doing the "whining". I think it's completely fair to regulate seats for maximum comfort...but your argument should be with the airlines for sacrificing common sense for squeezing out as many $dollars$ as they can. If there were airlines that would provide seats for different sized passengers, even for a slightly higher rate, it would solve many of these problems. (Meaning, offering larger coach seats for the same or slightly higher costs, not coach vs first class costs.) And it prevents people from directing vitriol and hatred toward their fellow human beings....at least for this reason.

I mean they already have seats that fit 95% of the population, and for the rest, they have first class available. I don't understand the issue. Don't understand why people who can't fit into a normal seat should be able to get a bigger one at no charge

I mean they already have seats that fit 95% of the population, and for the rest, they have first class available. I don't understand the issue. Don't understand why people who can't fit into a normal seat should be able to get a bigger one at no charge

Because they're bigger?

I mean are you worried you wouldn't be getting something that they are getting? Are you missing out on anything? Everyone gets a seat they are comfortable in, within reason. It's not fair to force someone to pay a much larger fee for a slightly different seat. Someone who flies often on their own dime probably can't afford first class seats for every flight. I don't get the harm, other than whiny little bitches with an inferiority complex.

Sounds like airlines need to install mock-seats at the gate next to these things:

And assign those above the designated size to the larger seats, and if airlines want to charge an upgrade fee (within reason) then so be it. I don't see the issue there, though I know there would be a shit fit thrown if bigger people had to pay more, but it's better than having to buy two seats or pay for first class.

The problem is the airlines biggest cost is fuel the biggest contributing factor to fuel consumption is aircraft weight. The models haven't really caught up to the fat assess of America and its something like the assumption is the average person weighs 150 pounds. Simple math puts it like something .60 cents per a pound to account for fuel costs. So the overweight person that gets their new bigger seat needs to take into account the fuel cost, 90 dollars more if you are 300 pounds, and the loss of revenue from now having less seats let's call it 60 dollars. Are these new priced seats at 150 dollars over regular priced seats a fair compromise. I'm going to say you are probably going to say no even though this cost less than first or buying two seats.

The problem is the airlines biggest cost is fuel the biggest contributing factor to fuel consumption is aircraft weight. The models haven't really caught up to the fat assess of America and its something like the assumption is the average person weighs 150 pounds. Simple math puts it like something .60 cents per a pound to account for fuel costs. So the overweight person that gets their new bigger seat needs to take into account the fuel cost, 90 dollars more if you are 300 pounds, and the loss of revenue from now having less seats let's call it 60 dollars. Are these new priced seats at 150 dollars over regular priced seats a fair compromise. I'm going to say you are probably going to say no even though this cost less than first or buying two seats.

Well it depends on how many "normal" seats are taken out for "bigger" seats. I'm sure they could run some math so that the average weight doesn't fluctuate between flights, and could figure out a way to recoup the marginal costs of a few less seats would hurt them.

If you're going to make the seat wider, it will have to cost 50 percent more for the airline to break even. You're losing the middle seat in that scenario. Maybe a little less when you consider load factors are maybe 85 percent right now.

Regardless, as long as the airline has the bottom line as #1 priority above customer comfort, you should direct your anger toward them. Trying to make everything smaller to sell more seats at the expense of passenger comfort is just stupid, though I've read that some airlines are aiming for that in the near future.

Maybe fat people should just lose weight? It's not hard to be in ok shape assuming you're able bodied.

Back