• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Starting a food truck in Winston/Greensboro

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
I have been thinking about/researching the idea of starting a food truck in the Winston/Greensboro area. My idea is to provide and combine both: authentic NC barbecue and simple-authentic mexican food. The uniqueness of my truck would come from the combination of the two in Mexican barbecoa (NC style chorizo?) sandwiches, and NC barbecue tacos with spicy slaw, etc.

I would appreciate any ideas/opinions/advice that anyone has on this idea. I realize that food trucks, especially taco trucks have a poor reputation, but I would intend on selling fresh, high quality food.

Last edited:
You need to be selling cochata - iced coffee + horchata.

What is your target market? In Charlotte, there are some very good food carts, but they cater to a centralized demographic of uptown workers.

You'll want to look into regulations around where you can park. Here in Charleston, the food trucks are limited in where they can go, in that the truck has to have permission from someone to park on private property - that is they can't park on the streets, they have to be in a parking lot, at a business, etc.

I think if you keep your truck clean enough, and do a good job marketing, you'll be able to overcome any stigma associated with eating from a truck; shows like "The Great Food Truck Race" and the general rise in popularity of street food make this possible.

Who thinks taco trucks have a bad rep? They are the best tacos you can get in NC.

You need to be selling cochata - iced coffee + horchata.

I've never heard of that, it sounds really good. I was thinking about jamaica (Hibiscus tea) sweet tea.

Definitely research current & future regs for food trucks in the cities/counties where you would want to market your wares. In the city of Raleigh, this became a huge war between food trucks & their proponents and owners of brick & mortar restaurants. Food trucks are now more limited as to where they may sell, hours in certain locations, and have an increased # of rules around the number & price of permits required.

Last edited:
A taco place here in Phoenix sells it. Amazing.

Definitely research current & future regs for food trucks in the cities/counties where you would want to market your wares. In the city of Raleigh, this became a huge war between food trucks & their proponents and owners of brick & mortar restaurants.

And truck owners just won a huge battle. Thank goodness. I want more food trucks (specifically taco trucks). The Mexican food in Durham is WAY better than Raleigh (that is true of food in general too though).

FoodTruckFiesta has a consulting service for people looking to start their own food truck. While their information is most helpful for people looking to start one in the DC area, I would imagine they could still be quite helpful for creating a food truck in general. Not sure their costs but I would imagine given your situation it would be negotiable.

http://foodtruckfiesta.com/food-truck-consulting/

Either that or any number Taquerías along Central Ave in Charlotte.

My inspiration for the Taqueria portion is Chubby's Tacos in Durham. I was present for the restaurant opening, and the owner created it as a "gringo friendly" Taqueria.

And truck owners just won a huge battle. Thank goodness. I want more food trucks (specifically taco trucks). The Mexican food in Durham is WAY better than Raleigh (that is true of food in general too though).

Thank goodness indeed! I :heart: food trucks! I'll recommend a new one we tried New Year's Eve while at Big Boss: Baguettaboutit. Baguettes stuffed with sausages/brats & paired with tasty sauces.

My inspiration for the Taqueria portion is Chubby's Tacos in Durham. I was present for the restaurant opening, and the owner created it as a "gringo friendly" Taqueria.

I love Chubby's. I used to live within .25 miles from there. It is not, however, the best Taqueria in Durham.

The food trucks that have succeeded in Kansas City seem to have done a great job through social media and coordinating with local chefs/restaurants. One food truck in particular prides itself on serving other food industry workers after their weekend shifts.

FACT: SF has the best food trucks
fort-mason-off-the-grid.jpeg

Back