• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Campus Updates

Nice find. Great pictures.

This pic from 1951 shows the area the campus would eventually be built on. I never knew a large portion of the land was already cleared until now.

ewf_001_00156.jpg

It's always crazy to me how significant a construction undertaking building what still amounts to most of campus from scratch all in one big project.

This pic from 1951 shows the area the campus would eventually be built on. I never knew a large portion of the land was already cleared until now.

ewf_001_00156.jpg

I'm assuming that's bascially Robin Hood Rd. with Graylyn on the left, Reynolda on the right, & Lake Katherine in the middle? Or is that Graylyn?

I'm assuming that's bascially Robin Hood Rd. with Graylyn on the left, Reynolda on the right, & Lake Katherine in the middle? Or is that Graylyn?

If my bearing are right, Graylyn should be just out of the picture on the bottom left. Best I can tell, its an aerial shot from what is now the area near the Reynolda Rd and Coliseum Drive intersection.

Carswell, and the field where the athletic practice buildings and fields are now.
ewf_001_00074.jpg

The initial campus plan. Its a shame you cant zoom in closer.
ewf_001_00172.jpg

Small scale campus model, pre-construction.

ewf_001_00171.jpg

If my bearing are right, Graylyn should be just out of the picture on the bottom left. Best I can tell, its an aerial shot from what is now the area near the Reynolda Rd and Coliseum Drive intersection.

That makes more sense. What is that building on the left? Part of Reynolda Village?

Carswell, and the field where the athletic practice buildings and fields are now.
ewf_001_00074.jpg

The initial campus plan. Its a shame you cant zoom in closer.
ewf_001_00172.jpg

Small scale campus model, pre-construction.

ewf_001_00171.jpg

I wonder if anyone has that small scale model? I would love a framed print of the original plan. It's a shame the golf course never happened.

Aerial of Wake Forest College under construction. Wait Chapel is at right, with the Z. Smith Reynolds Library at left.
uzz_mig_03534.jpg

uzz_mig_03531.jpg

I'm really digging these aerial photos.

Aerial of Wake Forest College under construction. Wait Chapel is at right, and the Z. Smith Reynolds Library is at left.
uzz_mig_03532.jpg

Aerial of Wake Forest College under construction. Wait Chapel is located near the bottom, to the right of center. The Z. Smith Reynolds Library is near the top, right of center.
uzz_mig_03533.jpg

Aerial of Wake Forest College under construction, 1956. Wait Chapel is near the top at left, with many other buildings already completed.
uzz_mig_03530.jpg

Onlookers after a robbery of the Wachovia branch at Wake Forest College campus, 1958.
uzz_dae_05628.jpg

Panorama of Groves Stadium during a football game between Wake Forest and Clemson, 1968. The background buildings at left and center belong to R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. Ernie Shore Field is at right.
uzz_dad_05447.jpg

Aerial of Wake Forest College campus, 1959. The water tower can be seen at the bottom center. The street at the bottom is University Parkway.
uzz_dam_06819.jpg

Aerial of Wake Forest College campus, 1959. Faculty Drive can be seen at the far left of the photo, with the baseball fields at the bottom.
uzz_dam_06818.jpg

I went back and searched for pics from the 1940s-1950s.

Aerial of the Reynolda Estate, Reynolda Road, and the site where Wake Forest College was built. Reynolda House can be seen at right, with Lake Katherine behind the house. Reynolda Gardens are near the bottom of the photo, near Reynolda Road.
uzz_mih_03599.jpg

Panorama of Groves Stadium during a football game between Wake Forest and Clemson, 1968. The background buildings at left and center belong to R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. Ernie Shore Field is at right.
uzz_dad_05447.jpg

Interesting 'WF/WS' in the endzones.

Aerial of the Graylyn estate, located off of Reynolda Road. The Graylyn estate was the home of the Bowman Gray family.
uzz_hoc_03322.jpg

Aerial of the Reynolda Estate, Reynolda Road, and the site where Wake Forest College was built. Reynolda House can be seen at right, with Lake Katherine behind the house. Reynolda Gardens are near the bottom of the photo, near Reynolda Road.
uzz_mih_03599.jpg

It looks like Reynolda Gardens was even more intentional with landscape architecture back then.

Back