• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

Well, a couple more guys got in since their were favorites left over. With 6 guys playing I win $125 with Jason Day! How about that! Thanks Bud! Would have been nice if he won it all for $250 but I will take it. I was so overdue. lol

Well, a couple more guys got in since their were favorites left over. With 6 guys playing I win $125 with Jason Day! How about that! Thanks Bud! Would have been nice if he won it all for $250 but I will take it. I was so overdue. lol

Congratulations. You were fortunate to win with 6 guys playing. Spieth & McIlroy playing terrible was a key for you, but Dustin Johnson was the 4th rated favorite at 12 to 1 after Spieth, McIlroy & Day. It's a little bit surprising that 6 people picked and DJ was still available. Worked out well for you, anyway. It wasn't Day's best effort, but he hung in there after a poor opening round.

Congratulations. You were fortunate to win with 6 guys playing. Spieth & McIlroy playing terrible was a key for you, but Dustin Johnson was the 4th rated favorite at 12 to 1 after Spieth, McIlroy & Day. It's a little bit surprising that 6 people picked and DJ was still available. Worked out well for you, anyway. It wasn't Day's best effort, but he hung in there after a poor opening round.

Ha, sorry about the wrong "there" I know that hurts your eyes.

My Maltese now has COPD. I didn't even know this happened to dogs. He has had such a hard life. Started out at a puppy mill, then passed on to a bad breeder before I rescued him. His personality went from being afraid of his own shadow (literally) to aggressive. We have went through acl problems and then intervertebral disc disease, and now this. Here I am sitting up with him at 2 am in the mourning listening to the gagging of him trying to breath. So heartbreaking...hoping the steroids kick in soon. He has 3 weeks to get better or he will have to be put down. If he makes it pretty much all of the rest of his teeth will have to be pulled. Glad I am still in good shape...I couldn't afford both our medical bills. lol

I don't understand what you are saying in this post. Where were you wrong? What is supposed to "hurt my eyes"?

I must be a little slow this morning. LOL.

I typed their instead of there. I remember that is pet peeve for you.

BKF, you don't seem to get any of my private messages. I hit reply to post and submit but they never show up anywhere but my send box. If I have something to say I will just email you for now on.

I know they say that good & bad breaks even out over a full season, but it damned sure seems like they have stacked up against me lately. Here was the situation tonight:

A one-inning save with a strikeout is 12 points. I have the Phillies' closer Gomez. The team ahead of me has Toronto's closer Osuna. Now....going to the 9th, the Phillies led by 1-0...a potential save opp for Gomez. What happened? The Phillies scored 3 runs on an error and go to the bottom of the 9th leading 4-0. No 12-point save for Gomez. Toronto goes to the 9th leading by 4-0....no save opp for Osuna. What happened? They bring a set-up guy in with the 4-0 lead....and he gives up a 2-run HR with one out. Now, with a 4-2 lead, it's a save opp situation again. The Blue Jays bring in Osuna and he gets the save.

My closer goes to the 9th with a 1-0 lead and a potential save....and gets nothing when the Phillies score 3 in the top of the 9th.

The other guy's closer goes to the 9th with a 4-0 lead and no potential save....and gets a back-door save after the set-up guy gives up 2 runs to cut the lead to 4-2.

24-point swing. That stuff really sucks when it seems to happen regularly. Just take Chris Sale's last two starts....or I should say last two scheduled starts. He leaves after 8 innings in the first one with a 1-hit shutout and a 3-0 lead....and the bullpen gives up 4 runs in the 9th to cost him the win. Then, he doesn't even start the 2nd game after throwing a fit and cutting up his uniform. That's a potential 30+ point loss there.

And I'm still in 2nd place, only 70 points out of 1st. Those two things listed above might have gotten me to within 25 points of 1st place. This game sure can be frustrating at times!

I'm still reading your posts. I just don't have anything to add. lol Another miserable year for me. I also lurk a little on the political board. I haven't posted anything over there for quit a while. Everything posted gets attacked no matter what side of the fence you are on.

I won again on my golf challenge game. Picked last again and nobody had Day. No reason not to take him again. lol Just 4 of us so I only won $75. Would have been $150 if he could have won it at the end.

A young kid changed jobs and didn't pay me the $25 he owed me from the US open. I wasn't surprised, but my best buddy has become obsessed with getting my money. The kid leaves in a different county and my buddy set up the challenge. I believe this kid will feel bad about skipping at some point in his life and that's enough for me...but not my friend. lol

Still time to enter CDM's NFL Playoff contest. $25 entry fee. Runs thru the three weeks of the playoffs (does not include Super Bowl). Payout to the Top 100 places, with $10,000 for 1st place. (Also pays 5 places for each of the three individual weeks, with $500 for weekly 1st place). You can finish 100th and win back your entry fee.

Players score points for yardage & touchdowns. You can change your lineup at no charge before each of the three weeks' games.

Here is my lineup for the first week:

QB ROETHLISBERGER, BEN PIT
QB RODGERS, AARON GB
RB MILLER, LAMAR HOU
RB BELL, LE'VEON PIT
RB AJAYI, JAY MIA
TE GRAHAM, JIMMY SEA
TE EBRON, ERIC DET
WR NELSON, JORDY GB
WR BROWN, ANTONIO PIT
WR BECKHAM JR., ODELL NYG

Still time to enter CDM's NFL Playoff contest. $25 entry fee. Runs thru the three weeks of the playoffs (does not include Super Bowl). Payout to the Top 100 places, with $10,000 for 1st place. (Also pays 5 places for each of the three individual weeks, with $500 for weekly 1st place). You can finish 100th and win back your entry fee.

Players score points for yardage & touchdowns. You can change your lineup at no charge before each of the three weeks' games.

Here is my lineup for the first week:

QB ROETHLISBERGER, BEN PIT
QB RODGERS, AARON GB
RB MILLER, LAMAR HOU
RB BELL, LE'VEON PIT
RB AJAYI, JAY MIA
TE GRAHAM, JIMMY SEA
TE EBRON, ERIC DET
WR NELSON, JORDY GB
WR BROWN, ANTONIO PIT
WR BECKHAM JR., ODELL NYG

No Salary cap on this game huh? Those are all the chalk plays!

Yeah, that's the thing about contests like this. There will probably be 1,000 entries or so. If you take all the chalk plays you can stay in contention to hopefully win something, since it pays 100 places...but to win the big prizes you have go out on a limb at some point and pick a couple of fliers....and get both of them right. That is particularly true for the first week of this contest, because there are some very obvious picks...as you correctly pointed out. Probably 7 or 8 of those guys are going to be on 80-90% of the team rosters, but there will be some crazy picks who might have unusually big days. Tight End is usually an unproductive position, so if some obscure TE catches a couple of TD passes, a guy could move around a lot of entries with him....but how can you predict who that would be? I decided to "play safe" the first week because I couldn't come up with any "wildcards" that I really liked.

Went back & forth between Ebron & Fiedorowicz for my 2nd TE. Matter of fact, I just changed to Ebron this morning. My other "first outs" at positions were: QB Russell Wilson; RB: Latavious Murray; WR: Doug Baldwin.

Another thing about this contest as opposed to contests for the entire playoffs thru the Super Bowl is that you can completely change your lineup each week and you have unlimited players to choose from, so you don't have to balance off picking slightly worse players from teams that you think will advance further in the playoffs like you would if you had a limited number of players on your total roster. (That's the difference for most playoff contests from regular season contests in all of CDM & Fantrax games...you don't have salary caps in the playoffs, but you have to weigh how far you think each team will advance because you only have a limited number of players on your roster and it might be better to have an average player on a team that goes all the way to the Super Bowl than to have a star player whose team is only going to play one game.) In this contest, you have neither restriction.

It's just a little something to perk my interest, since I really don't care which team wins any of the games.

Last edited:

This was the "ringer" team for Week #1 of the playoffs:

2 QBs: Aaron Rodgers & Brock Osweiler
3 RBs: Le'veon Bell, Thomas Rawls & Lamar Miller
3 WRs: Randall Cobb, Antonio Brown & Davante Adams
2 TEs: Jared Cook & Jimmy Graham

This was the "ringer" team for Week #1 of the playoffs:

2 QBs: Aaron Rodgers & Brock Osweiler
3 RBs: Le'veon Bell, Thomas Rawls & Lamar Miller
3 WRs: Randall Cobb, Antonio Brown & Davante Adams
2 TEs: Jared Cook & Jimmy Graham

Yes, looks like the "Jordy gets Hurt" lineup was the play

Yes, looks like the "Jordy gets Hurt" lineup was the play

That rushing TD pushed Osweiler (18.9) slightly ahead of Roethlisberger & Wilson (who ended up tied at 16.9). Actually, Matt Moore ended up 3rd among QBs with a lot of late-game garbage points to get to 17.7.

Thomas Rawls had a surprise huge game for Seattle (22.1) & Doug Baldwin was 4th among WRs, just slightly behind Adams.

None of the TEs did anything, with Cook's 48 yards giving him 4.8 points & Graham's 37 yards for 3.7 points. No TDs from any of the 8 TEs this week.

ETA: Don't know how many total entries there were, but I finished Week #1 in 909th place....and the guy in 1st place had 7 of the same guys that I had. We had 3 different players: I had Ajayi, Nelson & Beckham and the leader had Rawls, Baldwin & Adams. Those three guys dropped me all the way from 1st to 909th. 209.75 points to 148.65 points. The last money spot (100th place) after the 1st week was 179.90 points. Still a long way to go, but I'm going to have to punch close to a perfect ticket in the next two weeks to get back into the top 100.

Last edited:
fantrax 2017

Was thinking about whether I would even get a rookie team this year. Looking at this years format and it is again something different. $419 and you are all in in the gold league. 9k is the league payback. Finish in the top 6 and you get your money back....7th pays $200

Was thinking about whether I would even get a rookie team this year. Looking at this years format and it is again something different. $419 and you are all in in the gold league. 9k is the league payback. Finish in the top 6 and you get your money back....7th pays $200

As usual, we seem to be tracking each other's thoughts. I just sent you an email about the upcoming MLB season. Will make that post I mentioned later today. Have a few things to take care of related to my mother-in-law's recent death.

OK, here goes. Fantrax has its usual 4 different salary cap games for this MLB season.....Gold (Roto, league only), Rookie (Roto, league & overall), Silver (Points, league only) and Bronze (Points, league & overall):

http://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/baseball/mlb/salaryCap/games.go?gameId=215

http://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/baseball/mlb/salaryCap/games.go?gameId=216

http://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/baseball/mlb/salaryCap/games.go?gameId=214

http://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/baseball/mlb/salaryCap/games.go?gameId=213

The cheaper Rookie & Bronze games also have the "3-team discount" package" available thru Feb. 19th. I've come to prefer the points-scoring game over the roto-scoring game. It's a more simple scoring system and you do not have to worry about ERA, WHIP or Batting Average. Also, hitters get credit for walks & extra base hits, so OBP & Slugging Percentage replaces Batting Average as a value indicator.

I think the best value as far as cost to potential winnings is the 3-team Bronze package for $80. (Single Bronze teams are $30) The season runs 26 weeks, so that works out to a total cost of about $3/week. Maximum potential winnings for 3 Bronze teams is $4,950. ($3,000/$1,000/$500 for top 3 overall places and $150 for winning each league.)

By contrast, the 3-team Rookie package for the roto game is $100 (Single Rookie teams are $40), and the maximum potential winnings for 3 Rookie teams is only $3,175. ($1,500/$750/$325 for top 3 overall places and $200 for winning each league.)

The Gold league ($419) & Silver league ($200) have significantly larger entry fees and I just like the idea of having an overall competition as well as a league competition. That gives you an opportunity for a larger winning amount at a much smaller entry fee cost, while still offering an opportunity to win $450 in leagues prizes alone for only an $80 investment (in the Bronze leagues). And with a single team purchase in the Bronze league you have an opportunity to win up to $3,150 for a $1.15/week investment.

Time to start looking for some sleepers!

Last edited:
Why Do People Play Salary Cap Fantasy Baseball?

Not everybody is playing Salary Cap Fantasy Baseball, but the ones who do play absolutely love it. While the rules may seem somewhat straightforward, it's the fascination of the diehard fans that have most people intrigued. This article tries to capture that passion from a group of Salary Cap Fantasy Baseball fans while going over some of the rules and strategies from Fantrax's Salary Cap Fantasy MLB games.

The Rules 
In Salary Cap Fantasy games each MLB player is assigned a salary based on performance from previous years, and Fantasy managers must put together a team where the combined salaries of the 28 starters falls at or below a certain threshold ($60 million for Points,  $30 million for Roto) for each given scoring period/week.

Salaries are fixed for the duration of the season, and the contest encompasses the entire 162-game regular season.

Using the Fantrax point-style scoring method, points are accumulated each stat week (generally consisting of games played Monday through Sunday) by all 28 players in your starting lineup.

“One of the features I like is that scores never go downward; I don't like penalties that decrease a score for any reason” – Joshua  from New Jersey
Roster Construction – 41 players total (Points) or 40 players total (Roto)

Your 28 starters break down as follows:  2 Catchers, 2 First Basemen, 2 Second Basemen, 2 Shortstops, 2 Third Basemen, 6 Outfielders, 2 Utility (any Hitters), 6 Starting Pitchers and 4 Relief Pitchers for Points or 3 Relief Pitchers and 1 Swing Pitcher (any Pitcher) for Roto.

Also, you are allotted 13 bench players.  Weekly roster switches of bench players for starters are allowed to compensate for injuries, slumps, hot streaks, or just to play favorable match-ups.

Why the Salary Cap Fans Love It

“The attraction for me was playing against a large group of people (hundreds) compared to my local 10-team league, and the challenge of it. Anybody who enjoys draft leagues really should try a Salary Cap game, and Fantrax makes it quite affordable, with a Salary Cap Points game for $30 and Roto for $40, neither of which will break the bank for a newbie”.  -Roy from Maine

“The reason I like the Salary Cap game is the ability to use any player I want as long as my team meets the cap and if a player gets injured I can replace him as long as I have new player claims available.” - Rich from Nevada

“The attraction of the cap games for me was the level playing field against the competition. All players have the option of rostering anybody as long as you come in below the cap. Unlike draft leagues, where luck plays a bigger factor with injuries or bad years for a stud player, in duplicate player leagues, you can replace a stud player with another stud player. Everyone uses the same player pool, so, skill in managing and researching an initial roster makes the difference between a successful Fantasy season or a bust.” -Tony from Ohio

[B[COLOR="#FF0000[B[COLOR="#FF0000"]]"]]“I love the Salary Cap games because I am in total control of who I select for my team. You don't have to be concerned with that draft league owner in front of you "stealing" your players :)... Also the ability in picking the ultimate sleeper among sleepers and managing your team with limited new player claims is often what makes the difference, and once again, not being concerned with someone outbidding you for a potential free agent or losing out because your waiver wire priority is lower than the next guy[/COLOR][/B].[/COLOR]”[/B]  -Jeff from Maryland

Player Claims
The process throughout the season for acquiring or claiming new players for your roster is perhaps the most unique and tactical aspect of the game. Each team owner is allowed 17 new player claims over the course of the season and must use those pickups strategically. Those new player claims must be made with a corresponding drop from your roster. The biggest mistake first-time players make is chasing red-hot early season performers and blowing through a majority of their claims in April and May. Patience is key, and it’s important not to burn through your player claims too quickly, as they always come in handy for late-season call-ups (think Trea Turner/Gary Sanchez), injuries, or trade deadline changes.

“You can add to your team that ‘impressive new star’ of MLB anytime you want.”  -Alfredo from Mexico

“The Fantrax Salary Cap games have the highest percentage payouts in the industry – which, of course, means bigger prizes for Fantasy players. The prize money is very nice, too.”  -Jeff from Maryland

“I also have had a chance to chat with people from all over the world about baseball and even have had an opportunity to meet a few.”  -Mike from Indiana

“The small sample size of a 1-day contest leads to a huge luck factor compared to a full-season contest. In a full season game, it feels like doing research will pay off more times than not, but in DFS luck trumps skill/research a LOT.” -Roy from Maine

“I enjoy the level of competition here at Fantrax, winning leagues or overall contests here is an accomplishment that's gratifying to anyone’s competitive nature. This goes for both Points and Roto cap games.”  -Tony from Ohio

“I also really like the research leading up to opening day.”  -Guy from Pennsylvania

“Salary Cap games are way different from traditional draft leagues. You can have most of the players ‘you want’ on your team.”  -Alfredo from Mexico

“Salary Cap baseball combines my enjoyment of baseball and the challenge to plan and research trying to build the best team possible.”  -Mike from Indiana

“Draft leagues are fun, but once you've tried Salary Cap, it's a whole new challenge.”  -Roy from Maine

“Draft leagues come and go, but Salary Cap baseball is the game you will be playing every year for the rest of your life--it’s THAT much fun and very addictive!” – Joe from Alabama

Last edited:
Eight days left to take advantage of Fantrax' early bird discount packages.

Cheap Sleeper of the Day: Kendrys Morales

He had 30 HRs & 93 RBIs last year while playing in spacious Kauffman Stadium with a so-so Royals lineup. This year he will be taking Encarnacion's spot in the middle of a packed Blue Jay lineup and playing half his games in that Homer Dome in Toronto.

ETA:

https://www.fantrax.com/news/mlb/fantasy-columns/4tpovka5izjrcj4l

Last edited:
Back