• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

Yeah I like the Wright pickup.....agree with you on guys that can do a little bit of everything, and Wright could easily go 25/90/95/.300....

That can also be a trap though.....I think Pedroia is overpriced at 1200....Altuve can pretty much make a wash between the two for $200 less price tag.....you'd be fine if your version of Stanton (Bruce) wasn't terrible so far. I was counting on Stanton's HR and got burned...thankfully Prince and Braun have kept me within striking distance, but I still need HR....I guess the point to this rant is I think a long hard look needs to be given to Bruce...His peripherals are horrific this year.....babip up, but avg down? Yuck....

Side note, how about the Choo Choo train? Only 4 teams own him in my Gold, and 1090 isn't terrible for a possible 25/100/70/.300

I took Altuve out several weeks ago even though he has the best BA on my team. (still does) His numbers were empty. He is starting to pick up some with runs/rbi's. I really thought he would get me 35-40 stolen bases this year. He has been on first base 45 times this year with just 3 bags. I knew Houston's offense was going to be bad, so I figured they would try and manufacture some runs. I can't figure why he is not running more.

I agree with you about Bruce....and I've come close to dropping him 2 or 3 times. There is a lot of irony here. First, I had Choo on my first draft back in February....and about the only reason I took Bruce was because of his HR potential, hitting in that park in a good Reds' lineup. His HR stats have been on the ascendency in the last 3 years, and I thought he was a candidate to hit 40 HRs this year, but man, has he been a disappointment! Bruce definitely doesn't fit the profile of "my kind of player". What I will probably do is keep him on my bench as much as possible until 1) he starts hitting, or 2) I drop him for an injury somewhere. I have 9 outfielders now, and I feel very comfortable with only 8 if a need somewhere else arises. I've really made all the purchases that I should make at this time of the year. (More than I should have made, actually.)

You are doing an absolutely fantastic job so far. And so is DDeac08, for his first time with this kind of fantasy format. (So is Ace, but I've come to expect that from him. :) )

This is the first year Bruce hasn't been on my team since he come up. I finally gave up on him being the .300 hitter he was in triple A. It is because he has such long droughts. He will go on a tear for a month or two and then back in a drought. He sure can put up some numbers when he is in a groove. He has great end of the year stats for a guy with such a poor BA.

Once again the guy who is second in my league is in first place overall. I wonder if anyone has ever been the overall champion without winning his league.

Damn, wish I didn't sit Zimmerman against Detroit.

Wish I had Zimmermann instead of Strasburg. He sure doesn't look like the same pitcher this year.
(Detroit is batting .285 as a team)

Finally was having a good pitching night last night...then Street once again gave up a couple runs. Closers are not only suppose to save games, but help improve your whip/era/k's. He has a 1.36 whip and an era of almost 5. Grilli has been terrific, and is 210k cheaper. He is going to be my new closer going forward.

Wow Bud.....page out of Tigerpride's playbook? It's too early to only have 3 purchases left. Some of the teams ahead of you are still flying high on fool's gold.

Rookie League

My Rookie League is getting tight:

Rk Team Pts
1 st pete bucs 181.5
2 Meltime 178
3 Skeleton Crew 176.5
4 CCCP 174.5
5 River Pirates 172.5
5 BobCat roto 4 172.5
7 Northcoast 164
7 Controlled Chaos 164

I can't seem to move out of that 10-15 range in my gold league.....gonna make a couple more moves as well...

Would hate to trade one cheap SS for another, but if Segura keeps stealing bases like last night everyone will have to own him.

Funny how as soon as my pitching starts to come around my hitting hits a wall.

I feel like it's just a couple of players that have made the difference this year.....segura, grille, marte etc are all producing at a higher level than the cheap guys last year....Altuve, JD Martinez, lance Lynn were all good, but the cheap guys this year are on a whole different level so far, and if you had them from the beginning you are in a better spot...

On a side note, I had a great day yesterday and dropped in the standings.....after poking around some, it looks like the culprits were Kershaw and Matt Moore....I couldn't afford to get Kershaw in, but can't be making that mistake too many times....

Side side note......looks like I was a year early on Mike Minor. He destroyed me early last year, but I sure would love to have his 5 wins, 42K, 2.75 era, and .975 whip.....and the teams with Rizzo/Goldschmidt or similar combinations are really annoying. They are getting tons of production and spending nowhere near what I am for Prince/Votto. I think Votto might be headed for my bench for awhile...

I hate to use a purchase for one cheap player for another.....but Jean Segura is turning into more of a must have than a cheap player.

Wow Bud.....page out of Tigerpride's playbook? It's too early to only have 3 purchases left. Some of the teams ahead of you are still flying high on fool's gold.

I may have to follow suit with you and Tigerpride. 1 and 2 in my league have owned the Gold League so far this year. I have stayed in the the top 8 and better, but am no where near the leaders this year. Usually, I just play against the leaders of my league and let the overall play out. When the top 2 guys in your league are overall leaders it creates a real problem.

I'm trying to claw my way back up thru the standings. (Until things change, I'm always talking rookie league now.) I was 17-93 on Tuesday, and after the game this afternoon I am back up to 11-69. I pretty much have the roster I want now....though I had to burn most of my purchases to get there. Still have 3, plus the 2 roster expansions at the end of August. I realize that is very risky and not the ideal situation, but as I said, I didn't feel that the roster I had was one that would get me back into the hunt. As long as I don't get a bunch of extended injuries, I can live with having only 5 total moves left.....especially considering what I considered my alternatives to be. Votto & Bruce are beginning to hit a little more lately. As you said, Bruce is a streaky player who can get very hot for a stretch of time. And I still think that Middlebrooks might come around and be a decent backup 3rd baseman. (Wright had a great game today, 3 for 4 with a HR & a SB.)

Looking back at my purchases, I feel that I made a couple of mistakes, but at least 10 of the 12 were the right moves, I think. I feel right now that one of the mistakes was picking up Ellsbury. With Segura, Everth Cabrera & Marte, I don't really need Ellsbury's steals for 1030K. Choo would have been a better choice for close to the same money.

Ellsbury was on fire when you/me picked him up. Good chance that will happen again. (and you didn't have Segura at that time)

Bruce has it going on right now. Just homered against Lee. That hurts me since hardly anyone has Lee going this week except me.

I am a little concerned about Soriano. I picked him for the obvious reasons that he has been a good closer and was in an excellent situation where he should have lots of save opps, pitching behind Washington's strong rotation and top-notch team. However, I watched him last night and it seemed that he threw mostly fastballs...and he wasn't throwing them by the hitters. Don't know if his velocity is down, but when you just serve up fastball after fastball and can't get them past the hitters it's not a good sign. He backed into the win after blowing the save when Chad Tracy hit a two-out HR in the 10th, and he wasn't charged with an earned run due to an error....but he gave up three hits, didn't strike out anyone and it seemed like the SD hitters (at the bottom of the order, too) weren't having any problem at all making contact with his fastballs. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure if he even had a "swing and a miss" on a pitch, much less a strikeout.

Even if Soriano continues to pitch well he is going to lose some save opportunities at some point. Everywhere Davey Johnson has coached he has brought in another pitcher at some point. Storen will be in the mix at some point...just the way Johnson operates.

Bud,

I was surprised too, as I have set records for being bad this year. Anyway, I have been missing for a while and totally revamped a lot of my team and at least for a couple of weeks, it has made a BIG difference. We will see. I haven't thrown in the towel yet, but it is hard to rally after June, or at least it was last year. I made a nice effort at rallying last year, but a bad start killed me and I feel like it may be the same for this year. Anyway, haven't looked much at all(no time), but hope you guys are doing better than me.

As of now, I have dropped Soriano for Grilli on my mid-season roster. I will post that at some point, but it's still a work in progress right now. As I've said, though, I've found it much easier to get a strong lineup...even with a $29 million cap...with the advantage of knowing who a lot of the good, cheap players are by now (which we didn't know in March). Example: My full-season team has 3 saves this week.....all by the 730K Mujica, who I just picked up. (Of course, he didn't have the job at the start of the season.)

I wish that I could join you with a mid-season team. It's more than I want to take on right now. I will offer you this....my sleeper pitcher may get called up to replace Price who went on the dl. His name is Chris Archer (450k) You have to have one guy nobody else has...lol (he would be in the rotation of a lot of teams)

TB is going to bring up Alex Torres instead of Archer. (make a note of Archer for next year)

Back