• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

Yeah, unfortunately it's looking more and more like Rondon is not going to emerge from ST as the closer....I had him penciled in as well...

I finally made it over here, bkf.

Did you see that Fantrax added Hicks today?

Here's where I'm at right now....still have some tinkering to do

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C Martinez, Victor C,UT - DET 780,000
C Posey, Buster C,UT - SF 990,000
1B Rizzo, Anthony 1B,UT - CHC 810,000
1B Votto, Joey 1B,UT - CIN 1,470,000
2B Altuve, Jose 2B,UT - HOU 980,000
2B Weeks, Rickie 2B,UT - MIL 910,000
3B Cabrera, Miguel 3B,UT - DET 1,700,000
3B Longoria, Evan 3B,UT - TB 1,250,000
SS Segura, Jean SS,UT - MIL 450,000
SS Tulowitzki, Troy SS,UT - COL 1,270,000
OF Eaton, Adam OF,UT - ARI 450,000
OF Ellsbury, Jacoby OF,UT - BOS 1,030,000
OF Harper, Bryce OF,UT - WAS 1,000,000
OF Heyward, Jason OF,UT - ATL 1,060,000
OF Stanton, Giancarlo OF,UT - MIA 1,120,000
OF Trout, Mike OF,UT - LAA 1,450,000
UT Braun, Ryan OF,UT - MIL 1,710,000
UT Marte, Starling OF,UT - PIT 550,000
SP Bumgarner, Madison SP,P - SF 1,200,000
SP Darvish, Yu SP,P - TEX 1,000,000
SP Greinke, Zack SP,P - LAD 1,180,000
SP Medlen, Kris SP,P - ATL 1,080,000
SP Strasburg, Stephen SP,P - WAS 1,250,000
SP Wainwright, Adam SP,P - STL 1,100,000
RP Axford, John RP,P - MIL 1,080,000
RP Motte, Jason RP,P - STL 1,090,000
RP Soriano, Rafael RP,P - WAS 1,020,000
P Zimmermann, Jordan SP,P - WAS 970,000
Total 29,950,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
Middlebrooks, Will 3B,UT - BOS 730,000
Cabrera, Everth SS,UT - SD 620,000
Bautista, Jose OF,UT - TOR 1,170,000
Upton, Justin OF,UT - ATL 1,190,000
Rutledge, Josh 2B,UT - COL 650,000
Gonzalez, Gio SP,P - WAS 1,240,000
Hamels, Cole SP,P - PHI 1,340,000
Johnson, Josh SP,P - TOR 950,000
Lee, Cliff SP,P - PHI 1,170,000
Moore, Matt SP,P - TB 850,000
Sale, Chris SP,P - CHW 1,090,000
Street, Huston RP,P - SD 1,060,000
Total 12,060,000

Chris Sale gets two starts the first week....at home vs KC & Seattle. I'm not sure which Phillie SP will get two starts. I haven't checked them that closely because I don't have either of the three (Hamels, Lee & Halladay) on my roster. However, Bumgarner, Greinke, Medlen & Zimmerman will only get one start......and Bumgarner & Greinke will probably be going against each other.

Hmmmm good to know. I'm still swapping guys around a bit. Just added your guy Marte, dropped Rondon and Desmond Jennings.

I like Zimmer, and Gio against Miami, even if it's only one start. Surprisingly Hamels is listed as the #1.

Okay.....swapped some guys around...two starts from Sale, Wainwright, Hamels, and Stras......Then followed by favorable matchups from Gio and Zimmer (Mia) and Darvish (Hou)

Last edited:
I think that i will be Wainwright back up for Greinke. Too easy to get burnt on a pitcher with inflamation this time of year.

I haven't changed much over the last couple weeks.

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C Perez, Salvador C,UT - KC 640,000
1B Craig, Allen 1B,UT - STL 1,100,000
2B Cano, Robinson 2B,UT - NYY 1,530,000
3B Middlebrooks, Will 3B,UT - BOS 730,000
SS Escobar, Alcides SS,UT - KC 900,000
SS Simmons, Andrelton SS,UT - ATL 450,000
OF Braun, Ryan OF,UT - MIL 1,710,000
OF Ellsbury, Jacoby OF,UT - BOS 1,030,000
OF Hamilton, Josh OF,UT - LAA 1,470,000
UT Montero, Miguel C,UT - ARI 810,000
UT Rizzo, Anthony 1B,UT - CHC 810,000
SP Anderson, Brett SP,P - OAK 740,000
SP Chapman, Aroldis SP,P - CIN 1,110,000
SP Dickey, R.A. SP,P - TOR 1,220,000
SP Sale, Chris SP,P - CHW 1,090,000
RP Romo, Sergio RP,P - SF 1,050,000
RP Rondon, Bruce RP,P - DET 750,000
P Motte, Jason RP,P - STL 1,090,000
Total 29,660,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
Forsythe, Logan 2B,UT - SD 610,000
Cruz, Luis 3B,UT - LAD 450,000
Tulowitzki, Troy SS,UT - COL 1,270,000
Bautista, Jose OF,UT - TOR 1,170,000
Gonzalez, Carlos OF,UT - COL 1,360,000
Cobb, Alex SP,P - TB 680,000
Cueto, Johnny SP,P - CIN 1,090,000
Medlen, Kris SP,P - ATL 1,080,000
Scherzer, Max SP,P - DET 1,050,000
Weaver, Jered SP,P - LAA 1,390,000
Total 12,560,000

Last edited:
I just added another SP to my sleeper watch list: Julio Teheran (440K)

"Braves starting pitcher Julio Teheran continued to figure it out on Tuesday in a Grapefruit League start against the Cardinals. The young Atlanta starter earned a win as he managed to go five scoreless innings, his deepest outing of the spring. He didn't give up a hit over his time on the bump and walked two batters for the only base runners against him. Teheran managed six strikeouts and his ERA on the spring is now at 1.29. "Julio has got some weapons," Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "The more he goes out there, the more he is impressing me with his changeup and two-seamer that comes back on the lefties." The 22-year-old has given up just two earned runs and four hits over 14 innings with 18 strikeouts."
(Updated 3/12/13)

Looks like he has the 5th starter spot locked up. The Braves are going to be very good this year & he has the best closer in the game to back him up. Who knows, he might turn into this year's Kris Medlen.

He could be a real good one. When is Beachy coming back?

I think I'm going to sign up for this. I spend way too much time prepping for my fantasy baseball league. I might as well apply all that prep and research to something else that could make me some money.

It looks like you guys are spending around 30% of your budget on pitching. I assume that is not random and is part of your strategy?

Also, why are you making such a big deal about two-start pitchers? If it is a season long game, won't the full-time, top of the rotation starters get the same number of starts, give or take a few? Or does your focus on the two-start pitchers have something to do with the unlimited lineup changes? Will you rotate guys out after they get their 2nd start in a week?

I apologize for all the questions. This sounds interesting and I'm looking forward to giving it a try this season.

It looks like you guys are spending around 30% of your budget on pitching. I assume that is not random and is part of your strategy?

Also, why are you making such a big deal about two-start pitchers? If it is a season long game, won't the full-time, top of the rotation starters get the same number of starts, give or take a few? Or does your focus on the two-start pitchers have something to do with the unlimited lineup changes? Will you rotate guys out after they get their 2nd start in a week?

Can't speak for the others, but I spent more on pitching last year than I am this year. On the one hand, it helps when you know someone like Kershaw is gonna turn in pretty much nothing but solid outings, but I'm seeing a ton of value in pitching this year. Would be interesting to see what your research says. We try to get in different leagues so we can discuss players and help each other.

As for the pitchers, you hit the nail on the head. I rotate pitchers based on three factors. 1) is a guy getting two starts this week? 2) is there a favorable matchup? And 3) is a closer playing an extra game. (of course you also need to factor in where you need help in the standings. I was cruising in Ks, and Wins last year, but Mike fucking Minor did a little damage to my ERA) You're not always going to get a bunch of two starters or favorable matchups, but you can increase your chances by carrying more pitchers on your bench. But when you are able to throw in a cheaper pitcher like the shark because he is playing in Petco that week, it frees up money elsewhere.....of course you can play the same game with hitters in places like Colorado or Texas, but it's a lot more difficult.

It's ideal to get as many starts as you can for wins and strikeouts. The price tag of having top of the rotation pitching in every week would take a toll on your hitting categories.

Joined a rookie league. I'm in league 2, team name Orioles Magic.

Is there a way to see historical results from the leagues? Or do you guys have results saved somewhere? I'd be curious to see what it takes to be in the top 3rd or so of each category.

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C Napoli, Mike C,UT - BOS 760,000
1B Rizzo, Anthony 1B,UT - CHC 810,000
2B Cano, Robinson 2B,UT - NYY 1,530,000
3B Middlebrooks, Will 3B,UT - BOS 730,000
SS Escobar, Alcides SS,UT - KC 900,000
SS Simmons, Andrelton SS,UT - ATL 450,000
OF Braun, Ryan OF,UT - MIL 1,710,000
OF Gonzalez, Carlos OF,UT - COL 1,360,000
OF Hamilton, Josh OF,UT - LAA 1,470,000
UT Marte, Starling OF,UT - PIT 550,000
UT Tulowitzki, Troy SS,UT - COL 1,270,000
SP Anderson, Brett SP,P - OAK 740,000
SP Dickey, R.A. SP,P - TOR 1,220,000
SP Medlen, Kris SP,P - ATL 1,080,000
SP Sale, Chris SP,P - CHW 1,090,000
RP Romo, Sergio RP,P - SF 1,050,000
RP Rondon, Bruce RP,P - DET 750,000
P Motte, Jason RP,P - STL 1,090,000
Total 29,990,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
Forsythe, Logan 2B,UT - SD 610,000
Cruz, Luis 3B,UT - LAD 450,000
Ellsbury, Jacoby OF,UT - BOS 1,030,000
Craig, Allen 1B,UT - STL 1,100,000
Perez, Salvador C,UT - KC 640,000
Chapman, Aroldis SP,P - CIN 1,110,000
Cobb, Alex SP,P - TB 680,000
Cueto, Johnny SP,P - CIN 1,090,000
Scherzer, Max SP,P - DET 1,050,000
Weaver, Jered SP,P - LAA 1,390,000
Total 11,560,000

I've picked up one of your players (Alex Cobb, 680K) for Jeff Samardzija, 710K... and one of DT's players (Josh Rutledge, 650K) for Jason Kipnis, 1020K. My total roster price is now down to 42.67M.....a full 400K below my "neutral flexibility" price, so I've got some extra money to spend somewhere on upgrades.

(BTW, did you get my PM? Check your notification in box.)

I didn't know I had a PM. This is different than what I am used to lol

Archer was the guy I really liked from TB. They are sending him back down which is understandable. I have always had good luck with TB pitchers. I like his price (Cobb) for his position in the rotation, and the team he is on. Plan is for him to be my only really cheap pitcher.

I also added your guy Marte. I didn't want another cheap OF, but he does look to be a sure thing, and you have to jump on bargains where you can find them. I need to add about a mil to my total roster.

Last edited:
I like Gyorko when Headley gets traded....

Rutledge is who I swapped in for Weeks to get my SP set this week. I feel pretty good about Rutledge, Marte, and Eaton. The other cheap guy I have, that I'm not completely sold on is Segura. I feel like I have more cheap guys than is necessary this year, but I avoided them in my pitching. I feel like you can recover from a poor performing cheap hitter more easily than you can from a cheap pitcher. I stuck with Mike Minor too long last year, and the bastard actually ended the season fairly well, but he dinged me up pretty badly at the beginning.

[ETA: Everyone looks at players differently, of course, and everyone is playing on his own "dime", so he is entitled to his personal choice....but I don't understand the reasoning is choosing Logan Forsythe over Josh Rutledge (who is slated to bat 2nd in that Colorado lineup) as a cheap 2nd baseman.[/QUOTE]

I actually thought Rutledge was listed as a SS, and was Tulo's back up. Thanks, that will be 1 less cheap position for me to work on. I haven't done much more than look at box scores the last couple weeks. I'm trying to get my pitching figured out right now. I changed my mind about going with all the 1000k pitchers. Players like Forsythe and my 3rd baseman Cruz are just filler since we/I to name a player. Those are thee guys that get changed around before the deadline. At least in my case.

Why is the name "A.W. Hamilton " under my name when I post?

What I like about Cobb is his 18/1 K/BB ratio, his 1.29 ERA & his 0.64 WHIP over 14 innings so far. As I have said, I think that Eaton & Marte are virtual "must haves" at those prices. Aaron Hicks is another interesting guy if he wins the starting job, because he would also probably hit in the leadoff spot....but you only have room for so many of those types of guys. Probably don't need three cheap outfielders. Archer has a lot of upside potential....but his sample results with TB weren't that great (I think his ERA last year was 4.60 or something, though he did have 36 Ks in 29 innings), so he probably isn't ready yet. Julio Teheran has a similar situation with similar background numbers. The difference is that he is going to have a spot in the rotation. Both are priced super low.

(Whenever you need to respond to a PM, you can just type the reply above or below the original message.)

ETA: Everyone looks at players differently, of course, and everyone is playing on his own "dime", so he is entitled to his personal choice....but I don't understand the reasoning is choosing Logan Forsythe over Josh Rutledge (who is slated to bat 2nd in that Colorado lineup) as a cheap 2nd baseman.

The biggest thing I have against Teheran is that Beachy is already pitching off the mound. Beachy is a top 15 pitcher. Last man hired, first man fired. I don't know that Teheran will get much of a chance even with his obvious talent.

Anybody else think that Josh Johnson could get back to his old self at Toronto? I do...but don't know if I want to take the chance.

Hey Bud, they are saying that STL is a team nobody wants to play in the tournament. I will be rooting for them too for obvious reasons. Glad you have found a reason to watch college basketball again. While it may not be what it used to be, the NCAA Tournament is still maybe the number event in all of sports....at least from a fans perspective.

How many teams are registered in league #2 now? I'm in Gold League #4 (14 teams so far) & Rookie League #3 (17 teams so far). We still have a couple of weeks, but I don't want to wait until the last minute to get an email to Fantrax (if our leagues haven't filled up) to give them a list of our teams so they won't dump some of us back into the same league. What they are doing now is randomly filling 10 or 12 leagues or so....unless a person specifically requests a league #. Just before Opening Day, they will take all the partial leagues (without the full 25 teams) and consolidate them into full leagues. If our league has filled, that's no problem....but if there are less than 25 teams in it, there is a chance that some of us could get randomly moved into the same league. So we need to keep communications open about that....how many teams have signed up in each league, etc. Also, I'm not sure what DT or Ace's team names are...or if Ace is going to get a Rookie League team. Right now, in the Gold League we have my "BobKnightFan" in #4, DT's team ("Punch n Judy" in the past) in #5, Ace's team ("River Bats" or "River Pirates" in the past) in #6, and "Tiger Pride" in #8. In the Rookie League we have "Tan the Man" in #1, DDeac08's "Orioles Magic" in #2, and my "BobKnightfan" in #3.

If anyone decides to get a team other than those listed above, please post the League type (Gold or Rookie), League Number, and team name. No need to email Fantrax yet about making sure we are in different leagues, because those lowest league numbers....particularly in the Rookie League...could possibly fill up. We just don't know if they are holding spots open for some reason or not. It's much more enjoyable for everyone, though, if we are all in different leagues so that we can trade info and pull for each other's teams as well as our own. That's one of the main purposes of this thread over the summer.

Still haven't heard anything more from Wakeforest22890, who had a rookie team last year. The Gold league is rather expensive, but the Rookie league is a great way to get 26 weeks of inexpensive entertainment...and possibly win up to $1,200. (Yeah, that's unlikely, but there are several league prizes, too, with the winner getting $200. And $1.50/week is pretty cheap entertainment, even if you don't win anything! It's only $40 for the whole season...no other charges.) The link and info about rules, prizes, etc is in the OP on the first page of this thread.

I will get my rookie team tonight in league #4 unless someone claims that league in the next few hours.

Oh, I am River Bats in gold, and River Pirates in the rookie league.

Back