• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

OK, barring injuries, I think I'm about ready for Opening Day.

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C Mauer, Joe C,UT - MIN 870,000
C Santana, Carlos C,UT - CLE 770,000
1B Rizzo, Anthony 1B,UT - CHC 810,000
1B Votto, Joey 1B,UT - CIN 1,470,000
2B Kinsler, Ian 2B,UT - TEX 1,290,000
2B Rutledge, Josh 2B,UT - COL 650,000
3B Cabrera, Miguel 3B,UT - DET 1,700,000
3B Machado, Manny 3B,UT - BAL 560,000
SS Ramirez, Hanley SS,UT - LAD 1,180,000
SS Reyes, Jose SS,UT - TOR 1,330,000
OF Cespedes, Yoenis OF,UT - OAK 1,020,000
OF Eaton, Adam OF,UT - ARI 450,000
OF Harper, Bryce OF,UT - WAS 1,000,000
OF Heyward, Jason OF,UT - ATL 1,060,000
OF Trout, Mike OF,UT - LAA 1,450,000
OF Upton, Justin OF,UT - ATL 1,190,000
UT Bruce, Jay OF,UT - CIN 1,100,000
UT Marte, Starling OF,UT - PIT 550,000
SP Anderson, Brett SP,P - OAK 740,000
SP Darvish, Yu SP,P - TEX 1,000,000
SP Kershaw, Clayton SP,P - LAD 1,560,000
SP Price, David SP,P - TB 1,430,000
SP Sale, Chris SP,P - CHW 1,090,000
SP Strasburg, Stephen SP,P - WAS 1,250,000
RP Kimbrel, Craig RP,P - ATL 1,300,000
RP Rondon, Bruce RP,P - DET 750,000
RP Soriano, Rafael RP,P - WAS 1,020,000
P Hernandez, Felix SP,P - SEA 1,250,000
Total 29,840,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
Posey, Buster C,UT - SF 990,000
Craig, Allen 1B,UT - STL 1,100,000
Pedroia, Dustin 2B,UT - BOS 1,210,000
Middlebrooks, Will 3B,UT - BOS 730,000
Castro, Starlin SS,UT - CHC 1,120,000
Stanton, Giancarlo OF,UT - MIA 1,120,000
Cain, Matt SP,P - SF 1,310,000
Cobb, Alex SP,P - TB 680,000
Gonzalez, Gio SP,P - WAS 1,240,000
Medlen, Kris SP,P - ATL 1,080,000
Verlander, Justin SP,P - DET 1,590,000
Motte, Jason RP,P - STL 1,090,000
Total 13,260,000

Are you serious? You don't have near enough home run power. That also means not enough rbi's. I see lots of purchases in your near future.

I made a first stab at a roster. I still need to go through the projections and see where this squad would end up relative to the data bobknightfan posted.

I'd appreciate any comments, especially about the reserves. I'm not quite sure how to best use the reserve spots.

C Posey, Buster C,UT - SF 990,000
C Santana, Carlos C,UT - CLE 770,000
1B Goldschmidt, Paul 1B,UT - ARI 1,120,000
1B Votto, Joey 1B,UT - CIN 1,470,000
2B Espinosa, Danny 2B,UT - WAS 940,000
2B Rutledge, Josh 2B,UT - COL 650,000
3B Cabrera, Miguel 3B,UT - DET 1,700,000
3B Zimmerman, Ryan 3B,UT - WAS 1,140,000
SS Castro, Starlin SS,UT - CHC 1,120,000
SS Segura, Jean SS,UT - MIL 450,000
OF Bruce, Jay OF,UT - CIN 1,100,000
OF Choo, Shin-Soo OF,UT - CIN 1,090,000
OF Jones, Adam OF,UT - BAL 1,250,000
OF Stanton, Giancarlo OF,UT - MIA 1,120,000
OF Trout, Mike OF,UT - LAA 1,450,000
OF Upton, Justin OF,UT - ATL 1,190,000
UT Craig, Allen 1B,UT - STL 1,100,000
UT Davis, Ike 1B,UT - NYM 1,000,000
SP Lee, Cliff SP,P - PHI 1,170,000
SP Niese, Jonathon SP,P - NYM 940,000
SP Peavy, Jake SP,P - CHW 980,000
SP Scherzer, Max SP,P - DET 1,050,000
SP Strasburg, Stephen SP,P - WAS 1,250,000
SP Wainwright, Adam SP,P - STL 1,100,000
RP Motte, Jason RP,P - STL 1,090,000
RP Parnell, Bobby RP,P - NYM 800,000
RP Perkins, Glen RP,P - MIN 940,000
P Zimmermann, Jordan SP,P - WAS 970,000
Total 29,940,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
Wieters, Matt C,UT - BAL 790,000
Encarnacion, Edwin 1B,UT - TOR 1,300,000
Pedroia, Dustin 2B,UT - BOS 1,210,000
Frazier, Todd 3B,UT - CIN 840,000
Rollins, Jimmy SS,UT - PHI 1,090,000
Bautista, Jose OF,UT - TOR 1,170,000
Greinke, Zack SP,P - LAD 1,180,000
Hernandez, Felix SP,P - SEA 1,250,000
Latos, Mat SP,P - CIN 1,060,000
Moore, Matt SP,P - TB 850,000
Sale, Chris SP,P - CHW 1,090,000
Chapman, Aroldis SP,P - CIN 1,110,000
Total 12,940,000

Very helpful, thanks bkf.

I guess I didn't put too much thought into my utility guys. I feel like ike and Craig have the potential to outperform their salary, so I went with them. But I see your point about being way too thin at OF. I'll definitely fix this.

With the closers, won't 3 at least get me close to 5.3 a week? I figure my 3 are a little below average, but I fell too far behind I'd pickup start a 4th in the P slot.

How does fantrax deal with adding new players to the potential player pool? There are some pitchers I like this year that aren't available right now. Will they be available once the season starts, if so, what will their salary be?

OK, I'm always ready to listen to alternatives. What are a few examples of relacements you would suggest to beef up my power numbers? (Keeping the budget numbers generally the same. You could do a "2 for 2" or "3 for 3", etc....where the total price is close to the same.)

Tulo and Napoli for Reyes and Mauer would give you about 30 more HR's while saving you 170k. You don't need the batting average or steals those guys offer...just overkill, imo. I have way more HR/rbi power than you, and i still don't think it is enough.

Yes, Fantrax will add new players periodically as they are brought up from the minors. Usually, the price for these players is 750K.

Virtually no team is going to carry only three closers. I definitely don't recommend that. Of course, it's your team, so you should play it the way you want to play it. As I said, the situation with Chapman leaves some uncertainty there....because he could well become a closer in reality, even though he was listed as a starter for us. In that case, you could go with only three listed closers, because you would actually have 4, with Chapman. I think Dusty Baker will make a decision on that before the Opening Day deadline to finally set your roster.

ETA: That was a good point you made about looking for some players whom you thought would "outperform their salary". That is one of the keys to success.....finding players who will perform above their designated cost. Kind of like buying undervalued stocks.

And about the closers....look at it this way: The season is 26 weeks long. 5.3 x 26 = 137.8 saves. If you divide that by 3, that's about 46 saves per closer.

Fantrax has the price of a player not listed in their first salary list at 700k. I think they should adjust that when they add a player before the season starts. I hope some of you other guys will give them feedback about such things. They encourage players to tell them what they think and seem to be always trying to make this game better. They really do a good job.

OK, I took half of your advice: I dropped Reyes for Tulo. A couple of reasons why was that I now have Rutledge, hitting two spots ahead of him...and Tulo seems healthy again. I'd like to have Cargo, but his price is just too high for me and I really like the 9 outfielders that I have now. (Now I have to take another look at my speed. I figure that dropping Reyes just took 40 steals from me....and Tulo doesn't run much anymore.)

My old sleeper who has disappointed everyone since he came up....Domonic Brown....is tearing it up in ST, but I just don't have any openings in my outfield right now, because I feel that I must have Eaton & Marte at those prices. Also, Brown hasn't even completely won the starting job yet.

Tulo works great for me since I don't have to have him. Utility spot most of the time. He's a health risk, but he is big numbers when he plays. He will probably see the dl at some point of the season....I am accounting for that...so if you take him keep this in mind. I will have a big bat ready to replace him.

I've always liked HanRam. That season he had in 2007 was a fantasy dream: 125-29-81-51-.332, and the next two years were almost as good. I know he's not going to put up anything like that again, but I think he could go something like 100-25-100-25-.275 or so. And I think Starlin Castro could do sonething similar to that. So I think I have shortstop covered, even without Tulo.

I will never not allow a player on my team until their guilt is proven. That being said. it is obvious that Hanley was part of the 'juicing crowd" of those days. His recent numbers tell me he is now clean, and will never reach those crazy numbers again.

Yeah I'm really not sure what they are going to do. I really think they want/wanted to start Gyorko in the minors to save some money, and hope Forsythe worked out at 2b. Then when they deal Headley, Gyorko could just slide right into 3b.

Gyorko has really been forcing the issue this spring, and Forsythe isn't a particularly natural 2b, which complicates matters some. I think if he makes the club, he plays full time, and Forsythe platoons, which could be why he's been getting work in the OF.

If Andrelton Simmons is going to be the Braves everyday SS, why has he only had 5 at bats this spring? I expected him to get a lot of work in ST. Pastornicky is the guy getting the at bats and is having a great spring. I almost picked him as a cheap SS last year. If Simmons is not going to be an everyday player than i have a lot of work to do with my team.

If Andrelton Simmons is going to be the Braves everyday SS, why has he only had 5 at bats this spring? I expected him to get a lot of work in ST. Pastornicky is the guy getting the at bats and is having a great spring. I almost picked him as a cheap SS last year. If Simmons is not going to be an everyday player than i have a lot of work to do with my team.

I orginally had Simmons as well, but he's been concerning me, so I switched over to Segura. I'm not particularly excited about either at this point.....I'll be looking around as well.

I dropped Simmons a couple of weeks ago....but I'm not going cheap there. Have Tulo, HanRam & Castro. I think I have enough cheap players right now: Rizzo (810), Rutledge (650K), Middlebrooks (730K), Machado (560K), Eaton (450K) & Marte (560K). Since my overall total roster price is in line, I don't see any need in getting extra cheap players. Now if I decided to upgrade one of my guys around the 1000K-1100K range...throwing my total much above 43M...that would be another story.

ETA: One thing that might be a help to us: Rondon is looking a lot better lately. It will sure make things easier making budget if Rondon can get that closer job for the Tigers.

I need to add some money to my roster anyway. I think Castro would be my best bet. CBS Sportsline has changed it's format a little, and it's not as easy to find updates. I will keep an eye on this situation. If Simmmons doesn't start getting a lot of playing time soon than I can't take a chance on him. Since I added Marte I have 2 cheap fielders, and a cheap Pitcher in Cobb. Marte and Eaton are just about sure things this year, imo.

Simmons is hitting .370/.400/.704/1.104 in 27 WBC at bats. Making defensive plays all over the place too.

Chapman told the Reds he wants to be the closer. I was hoping this would happen after the season started. lol Of course it's not his decision. This will make it even harder not to have him on your team. I know he will be 1 of my 13 pitchers. There is always some weeks where I want to go with just 3 closers. It would be nice having the luxury of going with 5 closers if needed. If his not as good as Kimbrel he is right behind him at almost 200k cheaper.

If they announce that Chapman is the closer, I will definitely pick him up....probably dropping Motte (if Rondon gets the job) and treat Chapman just like he was my 4th closer. The only downside to that is that any week you want to go with 3 closers, you don't have the option of Chapman being one of the three....but there is nothing that can be done about that. If you keep Motte and drop an SP, you are actually carrying 5 closers...and I don't like that idea.

I actually don't mind that since I will carry 13 pitchers...1 more than i think is needed. I really like the option, and I don't have to make a quick decision if someone losses their job, or goes out temporarily. The 15 dl is a killer when it's a closer.

Anyone else starting to get excited? I am about to do my annual think long think wrong flip flop. I am thinking about adding some cheaper players mixed with some better pitching. Now that Craig is going to bat 2nd (until Beltran gets hurt) I am thinking Freeman may be the better choice. I still think that Craig will have a great year. His fantasy numbers will suffer batting in the 2 spot, imo.

Anyone else starting to get excited? I am about to do my annual think long think wrong flip flop. I am thinking about adding some cheaper players mixed with some better pitching. Now that Craig is going to bat 2nd (until Beltran gets hurt) I am thinking Freeman may be the better choice. I still think that Craig will have a great year. His fantasy numbers will suffer batting in the 2 spot, imo.

I've been doing the same thing. Switching around guys to get the last couple of high priced players I want.

Bob, what's that neutral flexibility you are always preaching? I think I get it for the most part, but maybe you could give a quick refresher? I think my recent movements may be pushing my roster out of the zone...

Back