• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

One reason why I am getting Zimmerman is because I am so high on Bryce Harper. Harper & Zimmerman are hitting 3rd & 4th in the batting order. Kind of a similar thing with Bruce. I'm very high on Choo & Votto (like Phillips, too, but he didn't make my 2nd base cut).

(In other words, I think that both Cincinnati & Washington are much better offensive teams than they have been in the past, which should boost the numbers for Bruce & Zimmerman.)

I'm now wondering if I should spend 1300K on Kimbrel. I might be guilty of "overkill" with closers. Also have Chapman & Soriano...and I think Perkins is going to perform above his cost. And closers can swing hot & cold from year-to-year. If I could find a relatively safe closer for 800K or so to compliment Chapman & Soriano, I might be able to be pretty competetive in saves and have an extra 500K to boost my hitting. I think my SP is extremely solid....probably the strongest part of my roster.

You also must think that the Braves lineup is much improved since you have 3 hitters that are Braves. Yet, the only pitcher for the Braves you have is the 5th starter which you just added. I am considering adding Hudson in place of that 4th closer. That would give me 13 plus Chapman. There is noway all of my pitchers will work out. When I drop a pitcher who is struggling it would be for a fielder who is also struggling. I still think that 12 is a good number for starters. 11 is sustainable if they are all producing.

When I get my lineup set I will invite you to pick it apart. :)

I actually have 4 Braves hitters. I'm not starting the two left-handed hitters (Heyward & Freeman) next week because the first two guys they are going to face are two great left-handed SPs (Hamels & Lee). As I mentioned in an earlier post, this is a completely different Braves team than their great teams in the 90s....when their super SPs like Maddox, Glavine, Smoltz & Avery carried them. Hitting is the strength of this Braves team, in my opinion. I don't really like any of their top SPs.

74 hours to go now. I love baseball!

The Braves staff is ranked between 5th and 9th this year, and that is without counting their Ace Beachy who should come back in June. Of course we don't go with entire staffs. I expect most of their pitchers to have pretty good years, at the least in the win category. That is also considering the WHOLE staff. When you consider relievers, set up man, and closer nobody comes close to the Braves. Any pitcher on that team that gets thru 5-6 innings with a lead is highly likely to get the win. They are all cheap....I think that I need to have 2 Braves pitchers.

Well, we will just have to disagree on Braves pitching...other than Beachy. I'm afraid that Medlen will regress back to something more normal after his unreal last half-season in 2012. (He hasn't looked good in ST.) And I'm guessing that Hudson's ERA will be above 3.60....and in his 95 starts over the last three years he has averaged only 4.2 Ks/start. (And that number is getting worse. He only had 102 Ks last year in 28 starts....a K/9 ratio of only 5.1) Trying to buy wins is always problematical....and he's 37 years old. Plus, he's not cheap at 1020K. I just don't get the attraction....but it's your dime.

The attraction is all those hitters on your team along with Walden Venters Kimbrel. If these guys don't win games then you won't do well with your Brave hitters. That is pretty simple math if you ask me. I worry more about the Brave hitters letting down the Brave pitchers. If the hitters are as good as you think, and they have the best bullpen in baseball...their pitchers should win games. The reason Hudson is not already on my team is because Brave hitters have been underachieving. (both Uptons and Heyward) Pitching has certainly not been the Braves biggest problem.

I'm just not following you, I guess. All those relief pitchers aren't going to help Hudson's ERA or inability to get strikeouts. They can help him win a few games...but wins is only one category out of four for a SP. And if the Braves hitters produce runs, whether the Braves win or lose games doesn't affect their stats at all....so I don't understand the statement that if the Braves don't win games, I won't do well with my Braves hitters. There is no hitting stat that is connected to the Braves winning games. I agree with you that Braves pitching hasn't been their problem...in the past...as far as how the Braves do as a team, but I think it is this year. And any way, since Teheran is the only Braves pitcher I have, whether or not the Braves win games is immaterial to me. I just want Simmons, Heyward, Upton & Freeman to hit well.

I realize you are not following me. It's not very important for us to spend much time on this (1 player) this time of year. Hudson is a guy who wins a lot of games. He is not a strikeout guy.If I pick him it would be for the wins...I have guys who will have high number of strikeouts. Not all my batters are 4 tool players nor will be my pitchers. Lee is not that much more expensive than Hudson even though he blew him away in every category other than wins.

Feeling pretty good about my squad. I think I got all my two-start pitchers in the starting lineup, but I still need to double check. My total spent is $42,440,000. Should I try to spend a little more on my reserves?

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C Posey, Buster C,UT - SF 990,000
C Santana, Carlos C,UT - CLE 770,000
1B Goldschmidt, Paul 1B,UT - ARI 1,120,000
1B Votto, Joey 1B,UT - CIN 1,470,000
2B Altuve, Jose 2B,UT - HOU 980,000
2B Rutledge, Josh 2B,UT - COL 650,000
3B Cabrera, Miguel 3B,UT - DET 1,700,000
3B Zimmerman, Ryan 3B,UT - WAS 1,140,000
SS Castro, Starlin SS,UT - CHC 1,120,000
SS Segura, Jean SS,UT - MIL 450,000
OF Bruce, Jay OF,UT - CIN 1,100,000
OF Harper, Bryce OF,UT - WAS 1,000,000
OF Jennings, Desmond OF,UT - TB 880,000
OF Stanton, Giancarlo OF,UT - MIA 1,120,000
OF Trout, Mike OF,UT - LAA 1,450,000
OF Upton, Justin OF,UT - ATL 1,190,000
UT Holliday, Matt OF,UT - STL 1,240,000
UT Rizzo, Anthony 1B,UT - CHC 810,000
SP Niese, Jonathon SP,P - NYM 940,000
SP Samardzija, Jeff SP,P - CHC 710,000
SP Strasburg, Stephen SP,P - WAS 1,250,000
SP Verlander, Justin SP,P - DET 1,590,000
SP Wainwright, Adam SP,P - STL 1,100,000
SP Zimmermann, Jordan SP,P - WAS 970,000
RP Nathan, Joe RP,P - TEX 1,100,000
RP Perkins, Glen RP,P - MIN 940,000
RP Soriano, Rafael RP,P - WAS 1,020,000
P Chapman, Aroldis SP,P - CIN 1,110,000
Total 29,910,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
Wieters, Matt C,UT - BAL 790,000
Davis, Ike 1B,UT - NYM 1,000,000
Pedroia, Dustin 2B,UT - BOS 1,210,000
Frazier, Todd 3B,UT - CIN 840,000
Rollins, Jimmy SS,UT - PHI 1,090,000
Choo, Shin-Soo OF,UT - CIN 1,090,000
Bumgarner, Madison SP,P - SF 1,200,000
Greinke, Zack SP,P - LAD 1,180,000
Latos, Mat SP,P - CIN 1,060,000
Lee, Cliff SP,P - PHI 1,170,000
Moore, Matt SP,P - TB 850,000
Scherzer, Max SP,P - DET 1,050,000
Total 12,530,000

Bruce Rondon to triple A. I worried about the closer by committee thing, but this surprised me. I now have 2 closers to replace.

I expected them to lose that game. They have been really soft the last 10 games or so. Crean is a good guy, and a good recruiter, but his coaching skills aren't even average, imo. You can't start 2 six foot (if that) guards against Syracuse with their zone. They recruit for that zone...it's like they have 5 wings on the floor. They also took the ball straight at hulls and Yogi. They knew they couldn't defend their big guards. If he would have started Remy and Sheehe, Syracuse would have been back on their heels. Sheehe (sp) is 6' 7" and can play the guard position. He would be able to get the ball to Zellar as well. He would start on any other team in the country. Was the Big 10 6th man of the year. Remy has size and toughness which is what we are lacking. Hulls and Yogi should have never been in the game at the same time. Hulls has just 40 points over the last 8 games and is a defensive liability. Their starting guards out scored Indiana's guards 38-0. That stat just about tells the story of the game. I also think Hulls could be hiding an injury. He hasn't had 2 bad games in a row in 4 years. He ended his career with 8 bad games.

Looks like you were right about Darvish starting monday, as opposed to sunday. I am still stuck in old school baseball mode where the best option takes the mound every fifth day, regardless if it means someone else misses a start...

Also, I think Chapman listed as SP is going to keep him off my team. I hate not being able to put him at RP....

I wonder if they had enough entries for the rookie leagues to add a 6th league...(or more). That's a great deal.....26 weeks of great entertainment for only $39.95....plus a chance to win up to $1,200. ($1.50/week for entertainment is cheap, even if you didn't win anything.)

My final, final...final 1st week lineup & roster (total price 43.10M):

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C Mauer, Joe C,UT - MIN 870,000
C Santana, Carlos C,UT - CLE 770,000
1B Pujols, Albert 1B,UT - LAA 1,630,000
2B Hill, Aaron 2B,UT - ARI 1,090,000
2B Rutledge, Josh 2B,UT - COL 650,000
3B Middlebrooks, Will 3B,UT - BOS 730,000
SS Simmons, Andrelton SS,UT - ATL 450,000
SS Tulowitzki, Troy SS,UT - COL 1,270,000
OF Bruce, Jay OF,UT - CIN 1,100,000
OF Cespedes, Yoenis OF,UT - OAK 1,020,000
OF Choo, Shin-Soo OF,UT - CIN 1,090,000
OF Upton, Justin OF,UT - ATL 1,190,000
UT Brown, Domonic OF,UT - PHI 480,000
UT Marte, Starling OF,UT - PIT 550,000
SP Hernandez, Felix SP,P - SEA 1,250,000
SP Kershaw, Clayton SP,P - LAD 1,560,000
SP Price, David SP,P - TB 1,430,000
SP Sale, Chris SP,P - CHW 1,090,000
SP Teheran, Julio SP,P - ATL 440,000
SP Verlander, Justin SP,P - DET 1,590,000
RP Janssen, Casey RP,P - TOR 970,000
RP Perkins, Glen RP,P - MIN 940,000
Total 29,910,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
Posey, Buster C,UT - SF 990,000
Craig, Allen 1B,UT - STL 1,100,000
Pedroia, Dustin 2B,UT - BOS 1,210,000
Zimmerman, Ryan 3B,UT - WAS 1,140,000
Castro, Starlin SS,UT - CHC 1,120,000
Heyward, Jason OF,UT - ATL 1,060,000
Bumgarner, Madison SP,P - SF 1,200,000
Cobb, Alex SP,P - TB 680,000
Darvish, Yu SP,P - TEX 1,000,000
Hamels, Cole SP,P - PHI 1,340,000
Strasburg, Stephen SP,P - WAS 1,250,000
Wainwright, Adam SP,P - STL 1,100,000
Total 13,190,000

I see you popped on Pujols. You must have watched that Yahoo video, too. lol I almost did the same thing, but that would have taken lots of restructuring. I even thought about going with 4 first-baseman to add him. If I got him then Hamilton would have to leave. That would not be a big deal since I have never had much luck with hitters that change teams...at least not in there first year with the new team. Big reason that i didn't take Fielder last year after having him for several years. Of course he became the exception. :)

I think that is a very balanced lineup. Less speed than you usually have, but I think that is a good thing.

I'm fairly pleased with it. I was actually surprised that I was able to get so many top hitters and top pitchers under 30M. To do that, you almost have to use a little of that "stars & sleepers" strategy. There is really no other way.

This afternoon, I've already been looking at the schedule for the 2nd full week and writing down the trades I want to make to see how it fits into my budget. I try to stay about a week ahead on that, so that I can know what my plans are and can look out for injuries that might mess them up. Bumgarner & Darvish are my only SPs that get two starts that week (April 8-14). Colorado goes on the road, so I bench Tulo & Rutledge for Castro & Pedroia. Posey has 7 games to Mauer's 6. Craig & Zimmerman are home all week, so they go in for Bruce (who only hit .218 on the road last year) & Upton. Felix, Strasburg & Wainwright are home with decent matchups for their one start. I can almost do all of this without taking out any hitter that I would rather leave in.....I come up 140K short. So I'm looking now at the least painful move to cover that 140K. Keeping Sale at Cleveland instead of putting in Hamels at Miami would do it, for examply. That's 250K. I'd rather have Hamels at Miami. Of course, I could always put in Heyward for a hitter that's at least 1200K.

Plenty of time to think about that, of course.

ETA: One big thing that I like about Pujols is that he is hitting 3rd, between Trout & Hamilton. As you said, I wish that Aybar was a 2nd baseman. I would have probably taken him over Rutledge.

I still have Pujols on my brain. I could get him if I dropped Hamilton for a guy we both have had at on time or another since he was a rookie. Alex Gordon was deemed a disappointment from day one. The thing is he is still getting better every year. His numbers across the board are not bad for his price. He is having a great spring and is still just 29. While not a superstar, he has become very dependable.

I also like your closers. Toronto's closer isn't getting much love from the projection people. I don't really understand that since Toronto should win a lot of games next year.

I'm going to back off Pujols. I spent too much time putting this team together to make such drastic changes in the 11th hour. If he does what some/many might think than I will just figure out a way to pick him up. I still would like to have Gordon. lol Gordon has become a guy who hits for average....often good things come from that. Also, Hosmer is on that team and he is going to be very good at some point. Absolutely everyone thought it would be last year...didn't happen. This year has been a challenge. So many players i would love to have, both sleepers and blue-chippers.

After you brought him up, I talked myself into switching Choo for Gordon. That makes my total roster price an even 43 million. (So I guess you can say that is my final, final, final....final roster. (LOL)

ETA: The only thing I'd like to see KC do is drop Gordon down to 3rd from leadoff. He doesn't run that much (probably 15 or so SBs) and he has 20+ HR potential....so why is he hitting in the leadoff position? Looks like they would at least flip Gordon & Escobar at the top. Cain could also lead off.

I would give 10 to 1 that is not your final roster. lol

If I remember right, KC moved him from 3rd base to the OF to take off some pressure, and allow him to concentrate on his hitting. His average improved drastically. The talent has always been there, he just seems to be his own worst enemy. They have moved him around the batting order trying to find his comfort zone, imo. I like him batting 2nd, but i guess they have to do what's best for him and the team.

After reading my post let me add this....Gordon has very good numbers and is a very good MLB player. The criticism came from him being projected as a franchise player. I can't imagine having that kind of pressure.

Last edited:
I'm hoping this is my final roster. Starting with 13 pitchers/plus Chapman to start the year. Plan to carry just 12 at some point of the season. Wanted to take a chance on Perkins, but the Chapman situation changed my mind. The other 3 guys need to be solid if I have to take out my best closer to go with 7 pitchers.

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C Napoli, Mike C,UT - BOS 760,000
C Posey, Buster C,UT - SF 990,000
1B Freeman, Freddie 1B,UT - ATL 1,090,000
2B Altuve, Jose 2B,UT - HOU 980,000
2B Cano, Robinson 2B,UT - NYY 1,530,000
3B Longoria, Evan 3B,UT - TB 1,250,000
SS Escobar, Alcides SS,UT - KC 900,000
SS Simmons, Andrelton SS,UT - ATL 450,000
OF Braun, Ryan OF,UT - MIL 1,710,000
OF Brown, Domonic OF,UT - PHI 480,000
OF Morse, Michael OF,UT - SEA 900,000
OF Stanton, Giancarlo OF,UT - MIA 1,120,000
UT Marte, Starling OF,UT - PIT 550,000
UT Tulowitzki, Troy SS,UT - COL 1,270,000
SP Darvish, Yu SP,P - TEX 1,000,000
SP Hernandez, Felix SP,P - SEA 1,250,000
SP Sale, Chris SP,P - CHW 1,090,000
SP Strasburg, Stephen SP,P - WAS 1,250,000
SP Teheran, Julio SP,P - ATL 440,000
SP Wainwright, Adam SP,P - STL 1,100,000
RP Romo, Sergio RP,P - SF 1,050,000
RP Street, Huston RP,P - SD 1,060,000
Total 29,970,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
Rizzo, Anthony 1B,UT - CHC 810,000
Cruz, Luis 3B,UT - LAD 450,000
Gonzalez, Carlos OF,UT - COL 1,360,000
Hamilton, Josh OF,UT - LAA 1,470,000
Rutledge, Josh 2B,UT - COL 650,000
Cobb, Alex SP,P - TB 680,000
Gonzalez, Gio SP,P - WAS 1,240,000
Lee, Cliff SP,P - PHI 1,170,000
Lester, Jon SP,P - BOS 920,000
Price, David SP,P - TB 1,430,000
Scherzer, Max SP,P - DET 1,050,000
Weaver, Jered SP,P - LAA 1,390,000
Total 12,620,000

I just wanted to mention one thing... David Price has a great first week schedule: home vs Baltimore & home vs Cleveland. Of course, that would put you 400K over cap, since the logical guy to replace would be Darvish. It would come down to trading one hitter for what should be one good extra SP start.

Thanks. I haven't set my lineup yet. I haven't even looked at the first full week schedule. Since I have no more than 2 players that will play tomorrow, I have until Monday to set my lineup. Right now I am checking to make sure there is not anything that was overlooked. Things like making sure everybody has an everyday job/no platooning. Also that I have chosen the best available sleepers. Nothing worse than making a stupid mistake that cost you a purchase right out of the gate. One year i overlooked Hamels 2 starts the first week. He was lights out in both starts.

I looked at the first full week schedule. I have 7 pitchers with 2 starts. 10 road games with just 4 home games. Chapman has 6 home games the first week, and would have to sit to get 7 starters in. Lester is @NYY and @TOR. He is a great road pitcher, but that is a little scary. Weaver has a couple tuff road games as well. AZ/TX I may just leave Weaver out and keep Chapman in. Getting greedy that first week has never payed off for me anyway. Besides, most that have Chapman are in the same position. A couple saves is probably better than a win and a loss.

LOL. I've already set my second full week starting lineup. Fantrax' supporting data for weekly schedules is really helpful. You can see where everyone is playing, how many games they have, and who the projected starting pitchers are, etc. I have 9 changes set for that 2nd week, with my starting lineup at 29.78M. (That's where that all-inclusive, one-time price really comes in handy!)

Money wise FB is much better now. In 2006 I won my league and finished 12th in my division. I won $800 but spent more than $600 on my team.....and that is not counting the mags. lol

That might have been closer to $500.

Last edited:
Can you actually set your lineup in advance? That would be really helpful sometimes.

I will only have 11 starts the first week. Two each for Kershaw, Price, Verlander, Felix & Samardzija...and one for Teheran.

(And you were right about the "10 to 1" bet on my lineup (though I think I really am ready now ;)).....dropped Chris Sale, my only White Sox player....for a Cub, Jeff Samardzija...and dropped Darvish for Matt Cain. Gave me a little more flexibility at a 42.93M roster total.)

Can't let any team preferences get in the way of fantasy success....and I don't really care that much which teams win, anyway.

That is a surprise! Not that you have Samardzija on your team, but that you dropped Sale for him. I think of Sale as "Kershaw lite." I had Cain for a while, and then dropped him for Felix. FH finally got his wins up last year and Seattle should have an improved offense. I like that he will turn just 27 in April. Cain is a good choice...just can't have everybody.

Back