• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

I don't know how many...if any...other guys we will have. We've probably had 7 or 8 other players in the last 3 years since we moved the Fantrax thread over here on 3/11/2013.....but they come & go. I think only DiegoTiger has played the points game, other than me. When I moved the thread here, I really thought there would be many more guys interested....particularly since there was such an inexpensive option. $30 or $40 total cost for 6 months of entertainment and the possibility of winning up to $3,000 seemed like an attractive option to me for guys who were already very interested in sports....and probably already playing fantasy games of some kind, anyway. Oh well, it's like Yogi Berra used to say about poor attendance at games: "If the fans don't want to come, you can't stop them." The thread is here. If anyone wants to play, they know where to find it.

One last thought about the roto/points thing and possibly having time restraints: The points game is really much easier to play than the roto game because it eliminates ERA, WHIP & BA. I think this makes the entire process easier & requires less time. If a person was going to try it for the first time, playing only the Bronze game (counterpart to the Roto Rookie) would let him do it with a much smaller investment ($30 for one team or $80 for three teams)....while still having that shot at a $3,000 overall prize, as well as 50 paying places overall + the league.

You've been doing this for more than 10 years now. Yes, the points games would be an adjustment....but not that much of one for someone who is so familiar with the overall workings of salary-cap fantasy baseball. (We couldn't do worse than we did last year in roto. LOL.)

Last year was brutal. I looked at the message board and a player who was the overall winner 3 years ago hasn't been in the money since. He was like us saying how tuff this game is in fantrax.

Last year was brutal. I looked at the message board and a player who was the overall winner 3 years ago hasn't been in the money since. He was like us saying how tuff this game is in fantrax.

I think that is why cdm is so popular. With so many players the leagues are diluted. Half my league last year had a league championship with a couple overalls. And that is just the teams I recognize.

Fantrax now has its more expensive Gold & Silver game details out....and there have been some significant changes regarding prizes.

The Gold League entry fee has gone up from $280 to $370 (Feb.16th early-bird price....and if anyone is going to play, they should take advantage of that deadline. After that it goes to $420.) With the entry fee increase, though, they have added an overall competition back into the game: $20,000 first place with 25 places paid in the overall competition. League prizes are $1,500 - $1,000 - $700 - $400 - $200. Right now, they have 8 leagues open for registration.

The Silver League entry for the points game has actually dropped from $200 to $180 (again, this is the Feb. 16th early deadline). League competition only. Also, they have increased the league prizes & have gone from 5 paying places to the top 7 in the league. 1st place in the league has gone up to $2,300. How can they lower the entry fee and increase the payouts? I almost missed that. The Silver leagues (not the Gold) are now 30 teams, rather than 25 teams.

Roto: 3 Rookie teams & 1 Gold team costs $470. (Rookie overall 1st place = $1,000) - (Gold overall 1st place = $20,000)

Points: 3 Bronze teams & 1 Silver team costs $260. (Bronze overall 1st place = $3,000) - (No overall competition)

So......what are we going to do? We have two weeks to decide.

Something big happened over at CDM. Don't know what happened but it is why Fantrax is going with a grand prize for the overall winner. They are hoping/planning to recruit the diamond challenge players. Fantrax forum is buzzing.

Fantrax has made it easy for me. (Increasing the price while cutting the prizes) I suppose there are a lot of players who like the big overall money. If I play at all it won't be the Gold.

Fantrax has made it easy for me. (Increasing the price while cutting the prizes) I suppose there are a lot of players who like the big overall money. If I play at all it won't be the Gold.

I would like to move to the Bronze/Silver leagues. I know you are a little hesitant about changing formats, but as I said, with your extensive experience you would pick the nuances of the change very quickly. Nice balance of cost/rewards there. The cheap league has league prizes similar to the Rookie league, as well as a $3,000 overall 1st place...and 50 payout places in overall. The 3-team package there is only $80. The Silver league is $180 and has a $2,300 1st place for the league...and pays 7 places. And if you wanted to ease your way into the Points game you could skip the Silver & just do the $80 3-team package this year. The $3,000/50 payout spots combo for overall to go along with smaller league prizes still gives you some significant winning potential at a very low total cost.

Of course, if you stay in the roto leagues and do the 3-team Rookie package only, that would be $100 with identical payouts to past years (including $1,000 1st place overall...but only 10 places.

Or...we could just take the summer off. That would be a new experience for me over the last 20+ years. LOL. Maybe I could go back to playing golf again. I quit golf about the same time I started fantasy baseball.....circa 1992 or so.

Last edited:
Well, there hasn't been any interest so far...which doesn't surprise me...and since the early discount entry deadline is Tuesday night, I decided there was no point in waiting any longer to enter.

I decided to move from the roto leagues to the points leagues. I got the 3-team $80 package for the Bronze leagues (#4, #5 & #6) and one $180 Silver league team (#5).

If anyone wants to get a points league team we can begin discussing strategy for the points league game....which differs somewhat from the roto league. If anyone wants to stay with the roto leagues, we would just have to have multiple strategy discussions, I suppose.

Deadline for reduced entry fees is midnight Tuesday, Feb. 16th. Until then, one entry in the Bronze league is only $30. Four league prizes ($1st place, $150) & 50 overall prizes (1st place, $3,000).

Correction: The $30 price for a Bronze team does not change after Tuesday. The Bronze deadline is just for the 3-team discount. One Bronze team will remain $30 until Opening Day on April 3rd. However, the price for a Silver team will go from $180 to $200 after next Tuesday.

Last edited:
Are there any other websites out there with season long salary cap games that don't take such a huge cut of the entry fees?

Are there any other websites out there with season long salary cap games that don't take such a huge cut of the entry fees?

I guess that CDM has more players than anyone I've seen...but they take a much bigger cut than Fantrax takes. I've been playing in these things for almost 25 years and Fantrax is the most reasonable one I've found. They generally pay out around 85% of the entry fees in cash prizes....and I think that is pretty reasonable.

For example, the Silver league entry fee is $180 (if you take advantage of the early discount). There are 30 teams in those leagues, so that would be a total of $5,400 in entry fees....and that's all inclusive, there are no other charges for trades, etc. The Silver league pays 7 places: $2,300 - $1,000 - $650 - $450 - $300 - $200 - $100 = $5,000 total payout. That's a 92.6% payout....which is damned generous, in my opinion. Of course, if none of the players took advantage of the early discount and paid the full $200, the total entry fees would be $6,000 ..... but that would still be an 83.3% payout, which dwarfs CDM's payout. And there is no reason not to take advantage of the early discount.

It's hard to calculate the percentage payout on the Rookie, Bronze & Gold leagues because they also have an overall competition and you never know how many total teams will be playing. Obviously, since Fantrax is guaranteeing the overall prizes without knowing how many teams they will have, they will pay slightly smaller league prizes to give themselves a "fudge factor" to protect themselves against a smaller number of players with a guaranteed overall price payout.

The Bronze league, for example, has 25 teams. At $30 per team that is a total of only $750 in entry fees per league. Those leagues only pay 4 places of $150 - $75 - $50 - $30 = $305. Remember, though, that Fantrax is guaranteeing a payout to the top 50 overall finishers of $6,150....with a $3,000 prize for 1st place overall. And that is with no guarantee that they will even get enough entries to cover their guaranteed payouts.

Bottom line: I don't think you will find anyone who runs this kind of fantasy competition with as good a percentage payout as Fantrax.

Last edited:
I was close to sitting this year out and went ahead and bought 3 Rookie teams. Had $40 in my account so it is only a $60 investment. Would rather lose the 60 then kick myself in April for not having a team. I am 5 weeks behind from the time I usually start researching players. Not sure how much it really helped getting started so early. A lot was just a hobby for the winter months I suppose.

Think I am going cheaper with pitchers this year. I just got killed in the hitting categories last year, and there are several good pitchers in the million dollar range. Plan to pay attention to both Glasnow (650k) and Taillon (400k). Either one of these guys could earn a spot in the Pittsburgh rotation. Only other player that jumped out at me was Jung-ho Kang. I think he is a steal for 760k. Good batting average and probably around 20 home runs. Just wish Fantrax listed him at SS or even second rather than 3rd base.

It is going to be difficult for us to compare either players or strategy this year....with you playing the roto game and me playing the points game. Players are valued differently (the points game salaries are basically double the roto, with a $60M cap instead of $30M) and you are limited to 11 SPs in the points game. Also, the points game doesn't use the three average categories (BA, ERA & WHIP) & gives points for extra base hits & walks....so OBP & Slugging Percentage are important in the points leagues, rather than batting average. As far as SPs go, the only things that count in the points league are strikeouts, innings pitched, wins & saves....so a guy like Price in Fenway, for example, would be more valuable in the points league than in roto....because a higher ERA & WHIP wouldn't hurt him in the points league.

Anyway, we'll just do the best we can.

If anyone is interested in entering, the cheap leagues are $40 for a rookie team in the roto leagues and $30 for a bronze team in the points leagues.

It is going to be difficult for us to compare either players or strategy this year....with you playing the roto game and me playing the points game. Players are valued differently (the points game salaries are basically double the roto, with a $60M cap instead of $30M) and you are limited to 11 SPs in the points game. Also, the points game doesn't use the three average categories (BA, ERA & WHIP) & gives points for extra base hits & walks....so OBP & Slugging Percentage are important in the points leagues, rather than batting average. As far as SPs go, the only things that count in the points league are strikeouts, innings pitched, wins & saves....so a guy like Price in Fenway, for example, would be more valuable in the points league than in roto....because a higher ERA & WHIP wouldn't hurt him in the points league.

Anyway, we'll just do the best we can.

If anyone is interested in entering, the cheap leagues are $40 for a rookie team in the roto leagues and $30 for a bronze team in the points leagues.

It's my fault we are not playing the same game. New car/house renovation/planning retirement/ has me out of sorts. Life hasn't got in my way like this since I was a young man. lol At least we are both playing and will find things to talk about. :)

What's going on over at CDM? Here are some messages on the chatboard for my Silver League team. Evidently, my league has a lot of former CDM players:

2/10 4:59:43 PM BTK Batter Up: Awesome to see familiar names here.. Cool Guys & Underdog!!!

2/14 1:23:05 AM Bartolo's Cologne: Also COLAVITO, Curbing My Enthusiasm (surewhynot), Living Legends, This Dog Will Hunt and The Goh Network (Bartolo's Cologne) from CDM. Did I miss any other CDM refugees?

2/14 1:24:04 AM Bartolo's Cologne: Aloha also to BA Blue Jays, Shep, Tug, and Aqua Sox!

2/14 12:16:56 PM surewhynot: League will be tough but the payout is over 90% if it fills with earlybirders so no reason to complain.

2/14 3:52:02 PM Painting The Black PTS: hi all

2/14 6:16:04 PM Screwballs: Came over from CDM myself, played DC Points last year

2/14 6:23:34 PM Screwballs: Hi to everyone, best of luck to all this year! Should be a competitive league

2/15 1:29:00 PM Shep Dogs: Hello all...good luck this year.

2/15 6:10:33 PM Pure Hypeness: I am a CDM guy too, is it official that they are closing? i have been asking and they always just blow off my question, but from a few things sure seems like it, was on CDM for 15 years in almost every points game on the site.

2/15 9:48:00 PM Shep Dogs: Glad you're here. You will like it over here.

I mentioned it earlier on this thread.

Yeah, I remember....but we didn't go into any detail, and I don't think CDM had closed registration for their games at that time, though I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm really getting off to a late start this year, though I agree with what you said that starting as early as we have in the past was mostly due to boredom. You can't really get anything done until March, when ST games are being played and you get some kind of idea about which new guys are going to win regular lineup positions, etc.

I've got a first draft roster, just to have a place to start. Not taking it that seriously, as probably 12-15 of those 41 guys won't be on it for Opening Day. It's still slightly above the roughly $90M it needs to be, and I've already trimmed 3 or 4 guys that I really would like to have. There will surely be some cheap new guys coming into their own in ST, though, that I will want to get....so I'm not that concerned much right now over a desired budget total. Just hoping that Capps will get the closer job in Miami right now. Also, I probably will decide that I don't want 3 SPs from the same team...though the Mets have 3 really good ones for the money.

Doubt I will go with many risky SPs in the points league, since you can only have 11. That means you only have 5 SPs on the bench (no Swing Pitcher) & really 10 extra hitters (8 on the bench after picking 2 for DH)....so you can cover every position on the bench in addition to the 2 DHs. That gives you more flexibility to make cap with hitters, rather than having to do it with pitchers. As I said, we can't really compare roto rosters to points rosters because of SP limits & scoring variations.

Anyway, just for starters:

ACTIVE

C d'Arnaud, Travis C,UT - NYM 1,460,000
C Realmuto, J.T. C,UT - MIA 1,300,000
1B Goldschmidt, Paul 1B,UT - ARI 3,240,000
1B Rizzo, Anthony 1B,UT - CHC 2,990,000
2B Odor, Rougned 2B,UT - TEX 1,630,000
2B Wong, Kolten 2B,UT - STL 1,690,000
3B Bryant, Kris 3B,UT - CHC 2,460,000
3B Machado, Manny 3B,UT - BAL 2,520,000
SS Correa, Carlos SS,UT - HOU 2,370,000
SS Seager, Corey SS,UT - LAD 1,730,000
OF Betts, Mookie OF,UT - BOS 2,330,000
OF Buxton, Byron OF,UT - MIN 1,230,000
OF Harper, Bryce OF,UT - WAS 3,000,000
OF Piscotty, Stephen OF,UT - STL 1,460,000
OF Sano, Miguel OF,UT - MIN 1,840,000
OF Springer, George OF,UT - HOU 2,260,000
UT Park, Byung-ho 1B,UT - MIN 1,600,000
UT Swihart, Blake C,UT - BOS 1,260,000
SP Archer, Chris SP - TB 2,560,000
SP Arrieta, Jake SP - CHC 3,010,000
SP deGrom, Jacob SP - NYM 2,690,000
SP Kershaw, Clayton SP - LAD 3,350,000
SP Rodon, Carlos SP - CHW 1,440,000
SP Scherzer, Max SP - WAS 3,240,000
RP Capps, Carter RP - MIA 1,580,000
RP Doolittle, Sean RP - OAK 1,840,000
RP Giles, Ken RP - HOU 2,190,000
RP McGee, Jake RP - COL 1,560,000
Total 59,830,000

RESERVE
Pos Player Salary
2B Dozier, Brian 2B,UT - MIN 2,560,000
3B Donaldson, Josh 3B,UT - TOR 3,030,000
SS Bogaerts, Xander SS,UT - BOS 1,840,000
SS Lindor, Francisco SS,UT - CLE 1,890,000
OF Peralta, David OF,UT - ARI 1,970,000
OF Pollock, A.J. OF,UT - ARI 2,590,000
OF Schwarber, Kyle OF,UT - CHC 1,760,000
OF Trout, Mike OF,UT - LAA 3,310,000
SP Carrasco, Carlos SP - CLE 2,220,000
SP Fernandez, Jose SP - MIA 2,650,000
SP Harvey, Matt SP - NYM 2,610,000
SP Strasburg, Stephen SP - WAS 2,580,000
SP Syndergaard, Noah SP - NYM 1,820,000
Total 30,830,000

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I looked up roto player salaries for a few of my players to see how they would fit on a roto team. Sano (950K) & Schwarber (920K) are two examples of guys who may be better suited to a points league. They will probably get a lot of extra base hits and draw a lot of walks, but might have a relatively low batting average. The Twins have two rookies I like as low-priced options: Buxton (750K) & Park (800K). Those are two examples of guys who will have to be watched in ST.

Here is a link I use a lot that has potential batting orders & rotations and player rankings from several different sources. (Rotowire requires a subscription for most of its info, but there are many other sources that are free):

http://fantasyrundown.com/2016-fantasy-baseball-rankings/

There are a few teams that really stick out to me as having strong offensive lineups from a fantasy persepctive in the first 5-6 spots in the batting order. I particularly like the Astros & Cubs....and if Buxton & Park show promise, the Twins could offer some nice cheap options. I feel really good about Sano and Dozier is a solid choice at 2B. Don't want Mauer, but he helps the other guys' numbers. Detroit is another team that has a strong lineup, with the addition of Upton and the emergence of JD Martinez. The only problem with them is that Kinsler, V Martinez & Cabrera are beginning to get a little long in the tooth, so you never know how durable they will be.....and those players are more expensive than those younger Twins guys....and most of the Astro & Cubs guys, for that matter.

Last edited:
Even playing different leagues we can still help each other out by simply putting names out there. I will post my first roster later today. Of course it will be raw with players that are there just to make cap.

Out of curiosity, I looked up roto player salaries for a few of my players to see how they would fit on a roto team. Sano (950K) & Schwarber (920K) are two examples of guys who may be better suited to a points league. They will probably get a lot of extra base hits and draw a lot of walks, but might have a relatively low batting average. The Twins have two rookies I like as low-priced options: Buxton (750K) & Park (800K). Those are two examples of guys who will have to be watched in ST.

Here is a link I use a lot that has potential batting orders & rotations and player rankings from several different sources. (Rotowire requires a subscription for most of its info, but there are many other sources that are free):

http://fantasyrundown.com/2016-fantasy-baseball-rankings/

There are a few teams that really stick out to me as having strong offensive lineups from a fantasy persepctive in the first 5-6 spots in the batting order. I particularly like the Astros & Cubs....and if Buxton & Park show promise, the Twins could offer some nice cheap options. I feel really good about Sano and Dozier is a solid choice at 2B. Don't want Mauer, but he helps the other guys' numbers. Detroit is another team that has a strong lineup, with the addition of Upton and the emergence of JD Martinez. The only problem with them is that Kinsler, V Martinez & Cabrera are beginning to get a little long in the tooth, so you never know how durable they will be.....and those players are more expensive than those younger Twins guys....and most of the Astro & Cubs guys, for that matter.

I have Schwarber right now because he is an Indiana guy and can hit the ball to the moon. He would be better suited in the AL as a dh. Gotta start somewhere so my team/s are subject right now to say the least. I also have Buxton as a cheap OF. They penned him in with some big trades so they must think he is the future. Sano is new to me so I will have to check him out.

I have Schwarber right now because he is an Indiana guy and can hit the ball to the moon. He would be better suited in the AL as a dh. Gotta start somewhere so my team/s are subject right now to say the least. I also have Buxton as a cheap OF. They penned him in with some big trades so they must think he is the future. Sano is new to me so I will have to check him out.

http://rotochamp.com/Baseball/Player.aspx?MLBAMID=593934

This compilation of 4 different sources has a composite prediction for Sano of 82-32-88-5-.250. Not bad for a cheaper player. That link I listed projects him to hit cleanup in the Twins lineup....which is a pretty good spot for him:

1 Byron Buxton 
2 Brian Dozier 
3 Joe Mauer 
4 Miguel Sano 
5 Trevor Plouffe 
6 Byung-ho Park

He went 46-18-52-1-.269 last year in 80 games.....basically half a season.

Last edited:
http://rotochamp.com/Baseball/Player.aspx?MLBAMID=593934

This compilation of 4 different sources has a composite prediction for Sano of 82-32-88-5-.250. Not bad for a cheaper player. That link I listed projects him to hit cleanup in the Twins lineup....which is a pretty good spot for him:

1 Byron Buxton 
2 Brian Dozier 
3 Joe Mauer 
4 Miguel Sano 
5 Trevor Plouffe 
6 Byung-ho Park

He went 46-18-52-1-.269 last year in 80 games.....basically half a season.

Good numbers but 950k is not that cheap. 30+ home runs for a guy under a mil works. Defiantly someone to watch this spring. I plan to spend a lot of money on OF's.

Back