• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

I keep seeing the ETA: in your post. Looks kind of a BTW or something. Does it stand for one of these, or something else?:

ETA stands for "edited to add." So whenever you see the ETA, it means someone has gone back and added to the original post. I think Bud has tricked us a couple of times into responding to something he had already addressed, because he had edited an original post haha...

There have been some dreadful pitching performances from some of the top SPs today.

ETA: Sure am glad I decided to put in Hamels as a 7th SP for Chapman this week. Hamels got rocked twice, while Chapman had two saves and a win. (As Roberto De Vicenzo would put it: "What a stupid I am!")

Chapman also has just as many strikeouts. I think we sometimes get away from things we have learned over the seasons. I remember us discussing an article about the real value of RP. It is a lot more than saves. If they are good ones they will help you in whip, era and strikeouts. Oh, and of course saves! Both Kimbel and Chapman add to all of the pitching categories. I remember Broxton in his heyday having 7-8 wins and way over a 100k's to go with his saves...that's huge.

I'm really getting my butt kicked this first week. Spent heavy on pitching and am near the bottom of the pitching categories because of Price and Hamels. Even though I spent less on hitting, they have done a pretty decent job, but I'm falling behind because of a drop in at bats. Segura, Braun, Simmons, Cespedes, Rutledge have all missed at bats, and now I'm somehow 20-30 at bats behind the leaders in my league. The HMS Punch N Judy is taking on water.

That is probably the only week that Chapman will be out of my lineup this year. Opening week mistake on my part. I've made a nice move today, though....up to 11-45 in gold and 4-37 in rookie. Since Colorado is sitting Tulo & Rutledge, I need to have good games from Trout & Pujols tonight....particularly Pujols, since almost everyone has Trout and almost nobody has Pujols. It would also help me if Darvish didn't pull a repeat of Tuesday's performance.

I sure don't need Tulo on the bench!

This is what Chapman and Kimbrel would have added to a pitching staff last year if you had them both.

strike outs 238
era 1.26
whip 0.85
8 wins
80 saves

last year's price

Chapman 930k
Kimbrel 1180k

Cain getting killed didn't hurt me today either. However, almost twice as many teams have Lee as have Cain in my league. They are world champs and i don't have a single pitcher off that team....no regrets so far.

Off topic: Do any of you go mushroom hunting? Morels, dry land fish, among other names. The next couple days should be prime time here in Kentucky. The weather has turned out perfect....but you never know. I am so stoked to go hunting. Such a delicacy, and the biggest treat of the year.

Last edited:
I've never knowingly eaten a mushroom in my entire life.

You mean wild mushroom right? (actually any mushroom) but that is beside the point. If that is the case you don't know what you are missing.

OK, back to baseball....

Here are the standings after the first week. (Actually the first two weeks, according to Fantrax, as they counted opening Sunday night's one game as the first scoring period.)

Gold Leagues (League-Overall):

Bob Knight Fan: 11-48
River Bats: 11-53
Punch n Judy: 21-84
Tigerpride: 15-86

Rookie Leagues (League-Overall):

Orioles Magic: 6-26 (Great start for first-time player ddeac08!)
River Pirates: 6-41
Bob Knight Fan: 6-45
Tan The Man: 14-79
Punch n Judy: 15-80

With the weekend you had hitting I thought you would be way ahead. Guess Hamels really hurt your numbers.

I took both Simmons and Braun out. Haven't seen any updates, and there is too many other options anyway. Had to putt Cobb in and leave Darvish out to make it work. Sure hope Boston cools off before next weekend. Cobb should go up against Lackey which is a good matchup for any pitcher. Wish I would have kept Middlebrooks. I might end up with him anyway. My cheap 3rd baseman (Luis Cruz) went hitless the first week after a good spring. If that keeps up he will lose his job.

What is more amazing...that Braun is playing, or that I couldn't get an update before game time? 1 for 1 of course.

And the correct answer is.........11.

How in the hell can a guy who has been playing this stuff for years think he can overhaul his team like that, using 11 of his 15 purchases for the entire year, after watching one week's games? Un-friggin'-believable!

WOW! Good thing you quit gambling, Bud. You really missed that over/under. lol Laughing so hard tears came to my eyes. He should just give his money to charity.

Well both Simmons and Braun played yesterday. Sure hope Simmons batting 9th is just until Freeman comes back.

I was going to take a chance on Carl Crawford this year until I saw his price tag Thought it would be in the 730-770k range instead of a mil. Of course he won't get you many HR. Braun is about the only guy that can give you both, and he is expensive. He has had at least 30 SB the last 2 years, but it would not be surprising for a year of 20-25. I still think he is the best player in baseball. Trout could change that this year.

Matt Harvey seems really tempting at 720. I think I'm one of the few teams that doesn't have Yu. At only 1000, I think I might have to add him. However, I'm not sure who I'd drop. I like my pitching staff, but I feel like I could get burned not having Yu when he ends up winning the Cy Young award. I currently have Verlander and Stras, maybe I need to drop one of them for Yu and invest that money back into my hitting?

Lost another player today. Weaver out at least 4-6 weeks.

Matt Harvey seems really tempting at 720. I think I'm one of the few teams that doesn't have Yu. At only 1000, I think I might have to add him. However, I'm not sure who I'd drop. I like my pitching staff, but I feel like I could get burned not having Yu when he ends up winning the Cy Young award. I currently have Verlander and Stras, maybe I need to drop one of them for Yu and invest that money back into my hitting?

I have Harvey on a team in a different league. He is pretty legit, but I worry about end of season fatigue like we saw with Lynn last year. Either way, I don't think Stras is the guy to drop. He's insanely good, has a great lineup behind him, and most people have him. All those can be said about Verlander too, but he costs more...

I wish that they had announced that Price, Hamels & Cain were going to be out 4 to 6 weeks....about 24 hours before the season began. :)

Two things that surprised me was how few teams (my league) went with Cain. I expected at least half. I didn't start out with him, then dropped him near the end of ST. He didn't really pitch that well the last couple months of the season. He did show up when it counted. Hardly anyone went with Weaver. I don't have a single Giant pitcher this year, and that is probably a mistake. It makes it easy to start a good pitcher when he has an afternoon game in SF. Shadows/Sun, wind blowing in at a big ballpark.

Two things that surprised me was how few teams (my league) went with Cain. I expected at least half. I didn't start out with him, then dropped him near the end of ST. He didn't really pitch that well the last couple months of the season. He did show up when it counted. Hardly anyone went with Weaver. I don't have a single Giant pitcher this year, and that is probably a mistake. It makes it easy to start a good pitcher when he has an afternoon game in SF. Shadows/Sun, wind blowing in at a big ballpark.

Bumgarner could also be a good weaver replacement.

Back