• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

I bet Harvey's ownership is going to go way up this week. I was just waiting to see one more start before adding him and I was impressed.

Your team is looking great, ddeac08. You've done an absolutely fantastic job so far....especially with the SPs on your opening roster, which is where I screwed up royally. (And I think those were two great moves.)

ETA: And you are right about Harvey. I was thinking the very same thing.

Thank you. It is a fun game and even more so when your squad is performing up to expectations.

Lee getting drilled tonight. A weeks work can be lost in one game this time of year. Actually. it just seems that way since we don't have enough stats to really mean anything. I'm pretty happy with my teams so far. I see Harvey, Upton, and maybe even Cabrera in my near future.

If you had all these cheap pitchers you would be kicking ass right now.....and for quite a while.

Harvey 720k
Darvish 1000k
Bucholz 760k
Maholm 830k
Lester 920k
Moore 950k
Masterson 910k
Miller 640k

I just pulled the trigger on my first two (actual) claims. Dropped Ryan Zimm for Wright and dropped Greinke for Harvey. I'm going to hold off on the Everth Cabrera pickup because it looks like Starlin Castro is heating up.

Nothing wrong with those pickups, but why make the moves today? Wright could tear a ACL tomorrow, and you would be screwed. Never ever, never ever, ever, make a purchase till the week is over. Only bad things can happen....just ask Bud.

That's kind of what I was referring to earlier. I know there is no way anyone would have had all of those guys....but if you had just started with 3 of them, you would be in great shape right now.

I have 2 of them, but haven't made the most of Darvish. Lester has been my bright spot so far.

Next week's roster will be a challenge. Not only with my higher priced pitchers, but Freeman should be back. I hate to bench Cano since he has 7 games and is really heating up. I will probably purchase Harvey, but that won't be enough to keep everyone in. Harvey has a home start against the Dodgers, and will have 2 starts the next week...first being at Miami. I'm thinking most will have him before long...sooner the better. I don't like to make many changes this time of year. Some guys are obviously the real deal, and you have to get on board early when you can.

I guess that you might be safe if you are adding a pitcher who isn't going to pitch any more that week....though it's probably better just to wait until Sunday night or Monday morning to officially make the pick-up...but there is always an injury risk for position players if there are games left to be played that week. Ace is referring to something that I did in 2009. During the last week of August you are allowed to add two players as a "roster expansion" for the last month of the season. Unlike with the 15 purchases, you don't have to drop anyone, so your roster grows to 42 players during September. Well, I was needing to boost my steals in August, 2009, and Nyjer Morgan was a cheap outfielder who was stealing a ton of bases that year. I went ahead and added him to my roster on Wednesday, August 26th...even though I couldn't put him in my lineup until Monday, August 31st. Then this happened:

[edit] Washington NationalsOn June 30, 2009, Morgan was traded to the Washington Nationals along with pitcher Sean Burnett in exchange for outfielder Lastings Milledge and pitcher Joel Hanrahan. Morgan fractured his hand sliding into third base on August 27, 2009, and was placed on the 15-day disabled list on August 28.

Actually, I think he ended up being out for the rest of the year. So I used a roster expansion pick to add a guy who wound up never playing a single game for me that year.

Bud, I was using that as my only example. I am just saying...why would anyone take that chance. There is nothing to be gained while you could screw up your season. To me that is a unnecessary mistake I don't want anyone to make. I made several mistakes in the first few years that i thought "wow that was dumb." Hell, it still happens. lol

Agreed. Seems innocent enough...but, as you say, there is nothing to be gained by making purchases before the end of the week. With unlimited taxi squad moves, you can make all of them you like...and I often make several in the middle of the week, just so I can visualize my next week's lineup....but not with purchases.

Exactly, that is another great thing about being all in for a set amount of dollars. No more getting the calculator out while figuring your lineup. We can work on our lineup all week long.

Won't Shelby Miller be on some sort of innings limit for the season? He pitched 140 in 2011 and 150 last year. Pretty good chance he gets shut down in August. But I guess if he is a stud between now and then, he could still be a great pickup.

I don't know why I made my roster claims yesterday. I just got so excited to get Ryan Zimmerman off my squad. Hopefully Wright can stay healthy for the next 2 days.

I've been going back & forth about which pick-ups I should make this week, and I've gradually backed off some of my earlier, more agressive moves in favor of caution. Right now, I'm thinking about making 3 purchases.

1) I'm holding off on picking up Alex Rios. Still think he might be a good one to have, but there is really no need to take that much risk at this time.
2) I'm holding off on picking up David Wright. Still plan to get him, but Middlebrooks has 7 games at home this week and 4 of them are against Houston. He's been in a big slump...but there's nothing like Houston pitching in Fenway to break a slump.
3) I'm holding off on picking up Shelby Miller. It's still very likely that I might get him later, but even though he has two starts next week, the first one is at Washington. I didn't really want to use a purchase this early on a talented...but still unproven...SP who might run into immediate problems on the road at Washington.

Who I am now thinking about picking up:

1) Matt Harvey for Julio Teheran. A much "safer" pick than Miller, since many teams are going to have him. Has a home start vs the Dodgers this week, then two starts next week.
2) Carlos Gonzalez for Matt Cain. Cargo is red-hot (rated #2 hitter in "score" research now). Rockies have 7 games next week. By dropping an expensive SP, I will have some more time to decide which outfielder to eventually drop later.
3) Everth Cabrera for Andrelton Simmons. I could have held off on this one, but I really feel that Cabrera's 40+ steals makes him much, much more valuable than Simmons, for only 170K more money....and one of them was going to have to be in my lineup next week, which gave some urgency to making this move now.

If I follow thru with this plan, I will have 10 starts next week. Cobb at home vs the Yankees, Harvey at home vs the Dodgers, and two each from Felix, Hamels, Kershaw & Price.

Whadduya think, Ace? I feel like you will approve these more conservative moves; i.e., holding off on Rios & Miller while moving ahead with Harvey & Cargo, etc.

(And by the way, I'm not putting Castro on the bench to start Everth Cabrera. Castro has 7 games next week. Cabrera & Cargo will go in for Upton & Heyward...even though Atlanta has 3 games at Colorado. Their other 3 are at Detroit. I was going to have to put Everth Cabrera or Simmons one in the lineup to make cap....unless I wanted to bench Pujols, Votto or Miguel Cabrera. Votto & Pujols both have 7 games, and Pujols is getting hot, too. Miguel Cabrera has 6 games at home...and it's never a good idea to bench him. Upton & Heyward for Cargo & Everth Cabrera seemed the best way for me to go.)

I hate to drop a player before he ever makes my starting lineup, but there is no reason for me to keep Teheran while Harvey is out there at a cheap price. I have CarGo, so I do like both those moves. I have been trying to find info on Simmons. Other than being really cheap, he loses most of his value if he doesn't lead off for the Braves. He is a terrific fielder, so he is going to play. I would just like to hear someone say he is going to return to the top of the order. With Freeman coming back next week, he probably will continue to bat 7-8. I never really understood why Upton wasn't leading off anyway. Made me think the Braves thought Simmons was a good contact hitter, and had some speed. Good chance I will follow suit with you...just not this week.

LOL. You'll probably be OK. The odds against him getting hurt in one day are probably about a thousand to one. In the future, it's still a good idea to wait, though. As I said, you can change your lineup 100 times a week as far as your current roster goes, because none of those moves will go into effect until Monday...and there is no charge for each one, like many of the games used to have. So if a guy gets hurt, you can just switch him back out. Purchases are permanent, though.

RE: Shelby Miller. I haven't heard whether he will be on some kind of innings limit or not. I wouldn't be surprised. However, as long as you don't use up your 15 purchases and have several left for the last couple of months, you can work around that. Also, you get to add two players at the end of August.

The odds are defiantly on your side. Bud, if you are giving a 1000-1....then i will go a dollar on that he gets hurt. :)

I know that the Wright pickup would be for Zimmerman. Did you notice that Middlebrooks dropped to 7th in the order since Ortiz returned? I noticed checking box scores. Napoli, who is second on my team in rbi's dropped to 5th. That doesn't help any of us that own either/both these guys.

Yeah, I saw that. I'm not particularly happy with Middlebrooks. If I had it to do over, I'd probably take Frazier for my backup 3rd baseman...but hindsight is perfect. :)

It's not a situation that's worth using a purchase to change, in my opinion. It's still early, and Middlebrooks hit .288 with 15 HRs in about a half a season last year. Going from 6th to 7th in the order is a little disappointing....but it's not the killer (particularly in the AL, when the pitcher isn't hitting) that dropping from 1st to 8th in the NL is. And as I posted somewhere awhile back, that Red sox lineup isn't as bad as many people thought it was going to be this year....so Middlebrooks can still put up some decent numbers (for his price) batting 7th in that lineup...and in that ballpark.

I'm having 3rd base problems of my own. Luis Cruz (450k) my cheap 3rd third baseman is flirting with losing his job. I haven't needed to us him yet, but had planed to next week to get Price in my lineup. (I'm not certain I want Price to do well this week)

Is there a chance the Wainwright sneaks in a second start this upcoming week? If anyone needs a closer then they should keep an eye on Edward Mujica. (730k stl) Looks like Motte won't be coming back this year. Here's my roster for next week.

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C Napoli, Mike C,UT - BOS 760,000
C Posey, Buster C,UT - SF 990,000
1B Rizzo, Anthony 1B,UT - CHC 810,000
1B Votto, Joey 1B,UT - CIN 1,470,000
2B Altuve, Jose 2B,UT - HOU 980,000
2B Cano, Robinson 2B,UT - NYY 1,530,000
3B Cabrera, Miguel 3B,UT - DET 1,700,000
3B Longoria, Evan 3B,UT - TB 1,250,000
SS Escobar, Alcides SS,UT - KC 900,000
SS Tulowitzki, Troy SS,UT - COL 1,270,000
OF Brown, Domonic OF,UT - PHI 480,000
OF Gonzalez, Carlos OF,UT - COL 1,360,000
OF Harper, Bryce OF,UT - WAS 1,000,000
OF Marte, Starling OF,UT - PIT 550,000
OF Morse, Michael OF,UT - SEA 900,000
OF Trout, Mike OF,UT - LAA 1,450,000
UT Freeman, Freddie 1B,UT - ATL 1,090,000
UT Rutledge, Josh 2B,UT - COL 650,000
SP Bumgarner, Madison SP,P - SF 1,200,000
SP Harvey, Matt SP,P - NYM 720,000
SP Hernandez, Felix SP,P - SEA 1,250,000
SP Lester, Jon SP,P - BOS 920,000
SP Price, David SP,P - TB 1,430,000
SP Scherzer, Max SP,P - DET 1,050,000
RP Romo, Sergio RP,P - SF 1,050,000
RP Soriano, Rafael RP,P - WAS 1,020,000
RP Street, Huston RP,P - SD 1,060,000
P Chapman, Aroldis SP,P - CIN 1,110,000
Total 29,950,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
Cruz, Luis 3B,UT - LAD 450,000
Braun, Ryan OF,UT - MIL 1,710,000
Hamilton, Josh OF,UT - LAA 1,470,000
Stanton, Giancarlo OF,UT - MIA 1,120,000
Simmons, Andrelton SS,UT - ATL 450,000
Cobb, Alex SP,P - TB 680,000
Darvish, Yu SP,P - TEX 1,000,000
Gonzalez, Gio SP,P - WAS 1,240,000
Lee, Cliff SP,P - PHI 1,170,000
Sale, Chris SP,P - CHW 1,090,000
Strasburg, Stephen SP,P - WAS 1,250,000
Wainwright, Adam SP,P - STL 1,100,000
Total 12,730,000

Looking back my worst mistake so far was adding Stanton the second time to my roster this spring. I dropped Ellsbury (who just stole his 8th base) for him. While Bud admits to over doing the runs category, I do the same with home runs. I am tied for first/second in my two leagues in HR without a single one from Stanton. There was some talk about Miami moving Stanton, but that has died down. I can't see a single reason for me not to drop Stanton for Ellsbury....? I am quickly falling in the stolen base category. I doubt he will put up all those HR's again, but he is still a 4 tool guy. Boston looks like they will have a very good year as well. Gonna sleep on it, and probably wouldn't make the move this week anyway.

The guy in second place in my gold league is in first place overall.
How crazy would it be for the overall winner to not win his league?

Last edited:
So many claims in my league today. I liked seeing lots of people giving up on Giancarlo.

One guy in my league has 4 claims remaining!

So many claims in my league today. I liked seeing lots of people giving up on Giancarlo.

One guy in my league has 4 claims remaining!

I went ahead and dropped him for Ellsbury. I didn't really give up on him, I gave up on Miami. I really thought they might trade him. Just not going to wait around for something that might not happen. As I posted earlier, I don't have to have his home runs. I don't think he will break 40 again this year. He would have to get hot, and then they would just stop pitching to him. Their roster is terrible.

Back