• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

If era/whip doesn't matter, and a win is 10 points, then you really need pitchers on good teams, right?
Did your wife's mother pass, or did she go to a home?
I'm kind of looking forward to the yard work. Most of the hard work is done.

If era/whip doesn't matter, and a win is 10 points, then you really need pitchers on good teams, right?
Did your wife's mother pass, or did she go to a home?
I'm kind of looking forward to the yard work. Most of the hard work is done.

1) Yes, workhorse pitchers with good K/9 rates on good teams is a good combination. Wins are hard to predict, though. If a guy has 210 innings, 210 strikeouts & 18 wins....that's 600 points, but only 30% of them come from the 18 wins. After Corey Kluber's great year in 2014, he was only 9-16 in 2015....but he still had 222 innings & 245 strikeouts for a total of 557 points, which was a very good year point-wise.

2) Yes. She passed away at the age of 97 on Jan 13th. She had been under hospice care for almost five years with a growing dementia, still living with us in a hospital bed since February, 2012. She had lived with us for nearly 40 years...since August, 1977....and was like a 2nd mother to me. As I got to thinking about it, I lived with her for more than twice as long as I lived with my own mother, considering that after I left to go to WF when I was 18, I was only at home during the summers while in college and got married shortly after graduating. We always had plenty of room in this house for everyone to have their own "space", though, as it has 14 rooms and about 3200 sq ft. Two people can get lost in here. We haven't needed anywhere near that much space in a long time.

3) It's nice that you enjoy the yard work. As I get older that is something that doesn't appeal to me anymore. I'm even questioning whether I want to do my six small box gardens again this year.

Last edited:
It would be the time to try something new. I haven't made a purchase yet.

If you want a white sox player Tim Anderson will lead off and could easily steal 30 bags. He is 1310k in your game.

I will have to look up Norris. I have just started looking at stats this mourning. The rest of the weekend I plan to seed my lawn. That includes mowing, dethatching, aerating, seeding, and rolling. Hope I can do that in just 2 days! lol

If you decide to try the Bronze Leagues, I am in #10 (15 teams so far), #14 (12 teams so far) & #15 (15 teams so far)...so don't get in one of those leagues.

Also, if you are looking at various player ratings for points-based scoring leagues there is one to thing you need to keep in mind regarding the Fantrax points game: Unlike many points-scoring competetions, Fantrax does not deduct a point for a strikeout. You get a point for a walk, but there is no deduction for a strikeout. So if you see a points-based rating for a player that mentions a concern over excessive strikeouts, just keep in mind that the strikeouts will not affect his value in the Fantrax Bronze points leagues.

Last edited:
I'm gonna grab a team. I also have a Roto draft early next week, so I'll have some to contribute as well.

I'm gonna grab a team. I also have a Roto draft early next week, so I'll have some to contribute as well.

That's great news! Glad to hear it. I wish we could get a few more guys to join up. It's gonna be a long summer.

Are you going to get a roto team (Gold/Rookie) or a points team (Silver/Bronze)? (I have the 3-team Bronze package & a Silver team.) Right now the Bronze teams are leagues #10, #14 & #15 and the Silver team is league #2. As of this morning those leagues have 17, 17, 20 & 18 teams registered...so there is always a possibility that they could consolidate leagues if the don't fill the 25 teams. Hopefully, though they will get all of them filled and won't have to do that. It's always nice if all of us on the board were in different leagues so that we can pull for each other's team as well as our own.

I'll post my latest roster shortly. I've had a change of mind about my strategy. Decided to upgrade 2nd base after all...there is just too much talent there to ignore....and go completely cheap at catcher. My three catchers are priced at 1050K, 1070K & 1050K. Decided that catchers' production isn't that dependable anyway and getting those dirt-cheap catchers...and some with decent upside potential for a catcher (like your guy Austin Hedges)...along with value-priced closers has allowed me to get top guys at all the other positions. I now even have all of the top 4 SPs (Kershaw, Scherzer, Bumgarner & Sale). My total roster price is 90.03M, which is slightly above the 89.85M that I figured it should be (the total is higher due to the cheap catchers & value-priced closers)...but I don't think it is so high that I can't work around it. I may downgrade a player somewhere to get it a little lower, but with 9 days to go and after several weeks of researching it, it's about where I want it to be.

Speaking of those closers, three of them are Diaz, Herrera & Giles. There are several closers priced higher than them, but I think those guys should be among the top tier of closers this year.

Anyway, glad you are getting a team. I'm hoping to hear from ace before long. He's been very quiet lately. And anyone else who has any questions or is thinking about trying salary cap fantasy baseball. $30 (bronze team) is cheap enough for six months of entertainment and a chance to win cash as well.

Haven't decided yet. Is Ace points or Roto? The Roto league would make it easier to prep for my draft, but if y'all are both doing points league, then that would make it easier to help each other...

Haven't decided yet. Is Ace points or Roto? The Roto league would make it easier to prep for my draft, but if y'all are both doing points league, then that would make it easier to help each other...

Check the three posts at the top of this page. He has always done roto since he first started in 2005, but I've been trying to get him to try points. I did roto myself for many years, but in the last couple of years I've decided that I kind of like the points game better. It's much simpler to score and I like the idea of not having to worry about ERA, WHIP & BA. Of course, doing both can get complicated, as some players are just more valuable in one type than they are in the other. In points, pitchers need innings, strikeouts & wins...even if their ERA & WHIP is a little higher. For hitters, OBP & slugging percentage make good indicators of value, rather than BA. And since steals don't have their own category, they are not as important in points leagues. Also, as I've mentioned earlier, Fantrax does not penalize a point for a batter strikeout in their points scoring system...and that is important to remember when you are reading the various ratings for players in the points game, because most points-scoring games do charge a point against a hitter for a strikeout. Of course, I think you've played Fantrax' points game before, IIRC.

I'm not sure what ace is going to do. At one point he said he may not play this year, but as we get closer to the deadline I'm hoping he will come around. After all, he's done this for the last 12 years now. I would think that he is following this thread and we might hear something from him soon. It's important for anyone who gets a team to post the type & league # right away so that if someone else gets a team they will know which leagues to avoid.

Last edited:
Check the three posts at the top of this page. He has always done roto since he first started in 2005, but I've been trying to get him to try points. I did roto myself for many years, but in the last couple of years I've decided that I kind of like the points game better. It's much simpler to score and I like the idea of not having to worry about ERA, WHIP & BA. Of course, doing both can get complicated, as some players are just more valuable in one type than they are in the other. In points, pitchers need innings, strikeouts & wins...even if their ERA & WHIP is a little higher. For hitters, OBP & slugging percentage make good indicators of value, rather than BA. And since steals don't have their own category, they are not as important in points leagues. Also, as I've mentioned earlier, Fantrax does not penalize a point for a batter strikeout in their points scoring system...and that is important to remember when you are reading the various ratings for players in the points game, because most points-scoring games do charge a point against a hitter for a strikeout. Of course, I think you've played Fantrax' points game before, IIRC.

I'm not sure what ace is going to do. At one point he said he may not play this year, but as we get closer to the deadline I'm hoping he will come around. After all, he's done this for the last 12 years now. I would think that he is following this thread and we might hear something from him soon. It's important for anyone who gets a team to post the type & league # right away so that if someone else gets a team they will know which leagues to avoid.

I still don't have a team. Lost my password and ask Fantrax for a new one. For some reason my provider has blocked Fantrax. I can't even retrieve messages that are supposedly spam. Time is running out and so is my why bother.:(

I still don't have a team. Lost my password and ask Fantrax for a new one. For some reason my provider has blocked Fantrax. I can't even retrieve messages that are supposedly spam. Time is running out and so is my why bother.:(

Hang in there! There is still plenty of time to get that straightened out. Who knows, we may have a rash of new players showing up in the next several days who have been lurking and finally decided to give the salary cap game a try. Here is the link to the $30 Bronze League points game one more time:

https://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/baseball/mlb/salaryCap/games.go?gameId=213

Hang in there! There is still plenty of time to get that straightened out. Who knows, we may have a rash of new players showing up in the next several days who have been lurking and finally decided to give the salary cap game a try. Here is the link to the $30 Bronze League points game one more time:

https://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/baseball/mlb/salaryCap/games.go?gameId=213

They didn't respond with a text so I sent them a different email.
What do you think of Indiana's new hire?

They didn't respond with a text so I sent them a different email.
What do you think of Indiana's new hire?

Seems like a good one to me, though I have pretty much lost all of my interest in basketball and don't follow it that closely since Bob Knight retired and I don't have a team to pull for anymore.

I need to pick three low-to-moderate priced SPs out of this group to compliment my top-priced SPs. Which ones do you like?

Danny Duffy, 2070K
Marcus Stroman, 1940K
Jerad Eickhoff, 1790K
Kevin Gausman, 1790K
Drew Smyly, 1740K

Any others you like in this general price range?

My leagues are getting closer to filling up.....20, 18, 20 & 25. (Silver league will have 30 teams.)

(ETA: I ended up with on 1 of those 5 SPs on my final roster.)

Last edited:
Time to suit up boys!

Django_Unchained_Klan.jpg

Are you going to get another team, or did you decide that it was too much for you to handle?

I've always enjoyed challenges, MHB, so I'm going to make you a terrific offer: If you get a team in one of the three Bronze leagues I am in (#10, #14 or #15) and finish ahead of me in that league I will send you $300. That's 10x your $30 entry fee....just for finishing ahead of me. You don't have to beat anyone else in the league. And you have nothing to lose. If I finish ahead of you in the league you don't have to give me anything. It's just a free $300 for you if you can finish ahead of me.

And I will make that same offer to Townie & Numbers as well. With all that knowledge in advanced sabermetrics, it shouldn't be any problem for the three of you to cash in the $300 on this.

ETA: I've never felt more confident about a season-opening roster in my 25 years of playing fantasy baseball than I feel about my roster this year. Even more than three years ago when my rookie team won its league and finished 3rd overall for a total payout of $1,950. As a matter of fact, I like this roster so much that I decided to get a 4th Bronze team and a 2nd Silver team. So that's $510 worth of teams. Of course, I had $355 in winnings from last year that had been left in my account, so I really only spent $155 of my own money. Total maximum winnings for those six teams would be $9,350. The Bronze leagues pay the Top 50 places in overall competition and the Top 4 places in league competition. The Silver leagues pay the Top 8 places in the league (with the league winner receiving $2,000). I feel very good about my chances to earn total winnings in excess of the $510 total entry fees (of which, as I said, only $155 came out of my own pocket this year). Here are my teams:

Silver Leagues: #2 & #3

Bronze Leagues: #10, #13, #14 & #15

Last edited:
Dusty finally announced his decision. It's Treinen.

Made one last move. Dropped Herrera for Bedrosian. I think their stats will be comparable, but Bedrosian costs $450K less and that money can be used to increase cap flexibility.

My six (identical) teams are now ready to go. All 6 1st week starters have two starts: Kershaw, Bumgarner, Verlander, Darvish, Syndegaard & McCullers.

First pitch is less than 70 hours away!

ETA: Made one more last minute change....and I've been going back and forth between these two guys for a couple of weeks now: Against all rankings that I have read, I dropped Darvish for Archer. They are priced almost identically, but I just have more confidence in Archer to throw 200+ innings and get 200+ strikeouts than I do in Darvish, who hasn't had more than 144 innings in either of the last two years. Archer has averaged 207 innings & 243 strikeouts in the last two years. Don't know how many wins either will have, as I don't think either has more than 12 or 13 in the last three years. If Darvish can stay healthy and get 30 starts, he will probably have better numbers than Archer.....but I don't have any confidence that he can stay healthy and get 30 starts.

I realize I am going against the conventional wisdom here, as every rating I have seen has Darvish ranked a few places higher than Archer. Archer has to pitch in the AL East, too....but that may not be as much of a problem in the points game as it would be in the roto game, because a higher ERA & WHIP won't hurt me.

Last edited:
I always forget the number you go by....My team is at 43,700. Is that a little high?

I always forget the number you go by....My team is at 43,700. Is that a little high?

It depends upon the price of your catchers & closers. This is the formula I use:

1) Add up the total for your 2 starting catchers & 4 closers.
2) Subtract that number from 30M. (You would use 60M in the points leagues, where players are priced roughly double what they are in the roto leagues)
3) Divide what is left by 22.
4) Multiply what you get by 34. (You would use 35 in the points leagues, which have a 41-man roster, rather than the 40-man roto rosters)
5) Add the total price of the catchers & closers to that number. That is what I call a "roster-neutral" number.

Here is an actual example, using Zunino (470K) & Hedges (450K) as two cheap catchers and Diaz (1070K), Giles (1050K), Bedrosian (840K) & Treinen (840K) as your 4 closers. Step 1: The total price of those 6 players is 4.72M.

Step 2: 30.00M - 4.72M = 25.28M
Step 3: 25.28M divided by 22 = 1.15M (or 1150K....which would be the average price for your other 22 starters to make a 30M cap using the listed catchers & closers)
Step 4: 1.15M x 34 = 39.10M (The total for all 34 players other than catchers & closers at the average price which makes them interchangeable to make a 30M cap.)
Step 5: 39.10M + 4.72M = 43.82M (or 43820K)

This is what I call "roster-neutral" with the above listed catchers & closers....who I assume are going to be in the starting lineup almost all of the time.

The cheaper your catchers & closers are, the higher your total roster amount can be. The more expensive your catchers & closers are, the lower your total roster amount should be.

It doesn't have to be exact, but as a general rule the more your total roster goes above the "neutral" number, you will have better overall players....but flexibility will be tighter as far as being able to fit them into your starting lineup, particularly in weeks when you have several high-priced SPs getting two starts and must be in the starting lineup. The other side of that coin is that the farther under the "neutral" number your total roster amount is, the easier it will be to interchange players....but you will have downgraded the quality of your roster more than is necessary. (This is assuming, of course, that all players perform equal to their given price...which is never going to happen, so further subjective decisions must be made regarding your opinion as to which players are over-priced and which players are under-priced. That's one thing that makes salary cap fantasy baseball such a great game. It definitely requires skill, research & diligence over the course of the season.)

Last edited:
I added Raúl Mondesi as my 3rd second baseman. KC made him an everyday player. Just didn't make sense to have 3 players at the same position that cost about the same amount of dollars. He could take off or can be used to make cap at 450k. (He also has good speed) My team this year has a little less power and more speed. That's a first for me. I'll post my team once I get the email thing worked out.

I have 4 third baseman and none of them are Ryon Healy. Sure hope that doesn't come back to haunt me.

Back