• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

What do you think of Robbie Ray, SP for the Diamondbacks? He has some really good numbers, and is pretty cheap at 750k in my league.

I am thinking about going all out, or part of the way out. lol Actually, I am getting bored. I have a total investment of 40 bucks, and my team is stuck in 6th place. I have just 6 purchases left, but I plan to pick up Blackmon, and maybe this pitcher.

1) Money was the only reason in my Goldschmidt-Zimmerman move....to get those pitchers in my lineup. I would be happy if Zimmerman played 5 games next week.

2) I like Ray. Wish I had him....along with about 5 or 6 other guys that I don't have, which leads me to.....

3) I've spent tonight looking at CDM's 2nd season game and have about changed my mind about getting a team there, as I'm becoming more & more convinced that my Fantrax teams are on a steady decline out of the money since I have no more purchases. I actually made a preliminary roster for a CDM team, which has these players that I don't have on my Fantrax teams...and remember for comparison that points league players cost roughly twice as roto players:

Greinke, SP
Keuchel, SP
Ray, SP (only 1.40M)
Vargas, SP (only 1.10M)
Berrios, SP (only 1.00M)
Knebel, RP (only 1.00M)
Severino, RP (though he's actually an SP) (only 1.00M)
Bandy, C (only 1.02M)
Votto, 1B
Bour, 1B (only 1.15M)
Smoak, 1B (only 1.11M)
Castro, 2B
Lamb, 3B (1.60M)
Turner, SS
Cozart, SS (1.55M)
Ozuna, OF
Duvall, OF
Judge, OF (only 1.20M)

4) The CDM game costs $125 for the unlimited changes plus a roster expansion player. You can buy the 10-purchase package for another $30 if you like....but I'm thinking about skipping that. Individually, they are $6 each, so it would be a good deal if you used all 10 purchases. However, since the season doesn't begin until July 14th and only runs about 2 1/2 months I'm not sure I would use all 10 purchases and I would have to use more than 5 before I would save any money. In addition to the much shorter season, another reason why you don't usually need as many purchases for 2nd season teams is that by the middle of July you are much more familiar with the "sleepers" and should not make as many mistakes with your initial roster. (Of course, this is also why they cut your budget cap for 2nd season. CDM's points games drops from $60M to $55M. Still, my 2nd season experience has been that even with the lower cap I can put together a stronger lineup because I now know who the cheap sleepers are.

1st place overall is $5,000. Pays Top 25 places. League winner gets $600. Pays 5 league places.

Last edited:
Thru games of June 11th:

Bronze: 4-5-6-6 --- 117/650
Silver: 12-10 --- 30/90

Payout with those finishes would be $30.

My teams are fading like a $3 shirt.

Injuries have really been a factor this year. Teams that had some of the really good cheap guys from the get-go are almost impossible to catch. They got off to great starts and have been able to save some purchases. Lamb and Duvall are about the only 2 I started out with this year. I still think I can get in the top 4 if things swing my way. I picked up Blackmon today, and that leaves me with 5 purchases.

Injuries have really been a factor this year. Teams that had some of the really good cheap guys from the get-go are almost impossible to catch. They got off to great starts and have been able to save some purchases. Lamb and Duvall are about the only 2 I started out with this year. I still think I can get in the top 4 if things swing my way. I picked up Blackmon today, and that leaves me with 5 purchases.

I've screwed this season up just about every way possible to screw it up. As I said, I'm thinking strongly about doing CDM's 2nd season points game. I can start out with all those good cheap guys that the teams ahead of me have now....like Judge, Lamb & Knebel, for example. Knebel....where did that guy come from? Have you checked his stats since he took over the closer role from Feliz? Also, there are some surprisingly good teams this year that have (not surprisingly) produced some good, cheap fantasy players. Teams like Minnesota, Milwaukee, Colorado, Arizona & the Yankees (of all teams to call surprisingly good) that were not expected to be very good. If you scan the lineups of those five teams you will find several good, cheap fantasy sleepers. Teams who got most of those guys early on are the teams who are at the top of their fantasy leagues right now and, as you said, they are going to be tough to catch. In my case, with no purchases left, impossible to catch.

Thru games of June 12th:

Bronze: 4-5-7-7 --- 133/650
Silver: 14-10 --- 33/90

Payout with those finishes would be $30.

Moving closer & closer to throwing in the towel for this season. Also reconsidering whether I want to do a 7th team with CDM. Did a preliminary starting lineup and it came up to $59M....$4M over the $55M cap. When your cap is slashed from $60M to $55M you really have to make some hard choices....and I'm not sure that my heart is in it to do that right now. After all my screwed ups in the first two months of the season it might be better to just take a break from fantasy baseball and start playing some golf again. LOL....that's what my wife & son have been telling me for some time now. He belongs to the Sedgefield CC in Greensboro and has been trying to get me back on the golf course. (He played on the UNC-G golf team when he was in college and is a much, much better golfer than I ever was...even when I was playing regularly and had a 7-hdcp some 20+ years ago.)

And speaking of golf, my son & his wife are flying to Wisconsin tomorrow for the first two rounds of the US Open to follow a friend of his (Scott Harvey) who is also a member at Sedgefield and qualified for the tournament this year. Scott has been ranked in the Top 50 at times in the World Amateur Golf Rankings. He is 39 years old (son of legendary Greensboro amateur golfer Bill Harvey who won over 300 amateur tournaments in his life and played in the GGO 23 times). Scott won the 2014 U.S. Mid-Amateur which qualified him to play in the 2015 Masters in Augusta. Robert also went down for the first two rounds of that tournament. Fortunately, it's not going to cost nearly as much to go to the US Open this year as it did to get tickets for two days at the Masters.

I'm guessing you have abandoned your fantasy teams? I'm still in 6th place with a chance of finishing in the top 5. While the rookie leagues are not as deep as the gold, the top 15 are just as good as the gold. In fact, it is pretty much the same teams. lol

No, I'm still managing my teams. As a matter of fact, I'm having a great week this week....I'm just quite a bit behind and don't have any bullets left, though I've got a pretty decent roster (as I should have after using all my purchases). Still, there are several key players that I don't have who I would have picked up if I had not used all my purchases. Guys like Judge, Lamb, Trea Turner, Berrios, Robbie Ray, Knebel, etc. Here are my current standings & weekly standings:

Bronze: 4-5-7-8 --- 135/650 (Year)
Bronze: 3-2-2-2 --- 58/650 (This Week)

Silver: 14-10 --- 35/90 (Year)
Silver: 7-2 --- 10/90 (This Week)

I also decided to get a CDM 2nd season team. It begins on July 14th after the all-star break and only runs 11+ weeks. Here is my initial roster for that:

C  4 SANCHEZ, GARY - NYY  $1,670

C  28 ZUNINO, MIKE - SEA $1,140

1B  101 GOLDSCHMIDT, PAUL - ARZ  $3,210

1B  137 ZIMMERMAN, RYAN - WAS  $1,290

2B  201 ALTUVE, JOSE - HOU  $3,180

2B  205 MURPHY, DANIEL - WAS  $2,530

3B  318 LAMB, JAKE - ARZ  $1,600

3B  333 RAMIREZ, JOSE - CLE  $1,260

SS  402 CORREA, CARLOS - HOU  $2,390

SS  408 TURNER, TREA - WAS  $2,000

OF  501 TROUT, MIKE - LAA $3,300

OF  536 OZUNA, MARCELL - MIA  $2,220

OF  507 HARPER, BRYCE - WAS $2,730

OF  519 SPRINGER, GEORGE - HOU  $2,490

OF  604 JUDGE, AARON - NYY  $1,200

OF  598 CONFORTO, MICHAEL - NYM  $1,300

DH Players

OF  660 HANIGER, MITCH - SEA  $1,000

1B  143 SMOAK, JUSTIN - TOR  $1,110

Taxi Hitters

C 67 HEDGES, AUSTIN - SD  $1,000

1B  106 VOTTO, JOEY - CIN  $2,810

2B  214 CASTRO, STARLIN - NYY  $1,800

3B  303 ARENADO, NOLAN - COL  $2,780

3B  311 SANO, MIGUEL - MIN $1,870

SS  403 SEAGER, COREY - LAD $2,320

OF  503 BLACKMON, CHARLIE - COL  $2,940

OF  548 DICKERSON, COREY - TB  $2,100

Starting Pitchers

SP  801 SCHERZER, MAX - WAS  $3,290

SP  802 KERSHAW, CLAYTON - LAD  $3,230

SP  814 GREINKE, ZACK - ARZ  $2,750

SP  824 KEUCHEL, DALLAS - HOU $2,480

SP  889 MCCULLERS, LANCE - HOU  $1,600

SP  918 RAY, ROBBIE - ARZ  $1,400

RP  1247 WOOD, ALEX - LAD  $1,620

RP  1294 SEVERINO, LUIS - NYY  $1,000

RP  1336 BEDROSIAN, CAM - LAA  $1,000

RP  1339 KNEBEL, COREY - MLW  $1,000

Taxi Pitchers

SP  996 BERRIOS, JOSE - MIN   $1,000

SP  1061 FARIA, JACOB - TB  $1,000

SP  806 SALE, CHRIS - BOS  $3,040

SP  818 STRASBURG, STEPHEN - WAS  $2,660

RP  1218 HOLLAND, GREG - COL  $1,990

There may have been a record set today in the Dodgers/Rockies game. The Dodgers scored five runs off of wild pitches. Four of the runs were scored in one inning and off the same pitcher. This couldn't have happened many times in the modern (1900-) era.

You should check out Cory Kluber's stats for June. He is one of the few bright spots for my team. Sure glad I decided to hold on to him.

I think this is the most rbi's I have ever had in a day..25. Had 21 runs scored as well. Even my bench players were on fire. Third place is still a possibility, but 4th is very possible. Sactown Kauri is in 16th place with just 2 purchases left. (around 60 points behind me) The Helmet Of Roto who won my league last year and done well overall also trails me. Not happy with my year, but it has been humbling to a lot of good players.

Did you ever check out Kluber's numbers?

Taillon was scratched today with flu-like symptoms. The Pirates scored 10 runs in the top of the first. This game can be so frustrating.

bobknightfan

How about a reprieve for him? I know he made some kind of stupid bet, but what would it hurt to allow him to post on the fantasy baseball board? (only) Of course he is probably too hard headed to come back anyway. If I knew how to post a survey I would.

Back