• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

Made my 2nd Draft tonight. I complied the projections for my active offensive players and I'm over the 6th place mark for all the offensive categories except for SBs. I'ts harder to project the team's pitching because you have no idea how many starts you will end up using from each pitcher. My pitching, and especially the closers, might be a little weak. Just looking at the ERA and WHIP of my active pitchers, I'm behind the 6th place target.

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C Posey, Buster C,UT - SF 990,000
C Santana, Carlos C,UT - CLE 770,000
1B Goldschmidt, Paul 1B,UT - ARI 1,120,000
1B Votto, Joey 1B,UT - CIN 1,470,000
2B Espinosa, Danny 2B,UT - WAS 940,000
2B Rutledge, Josh 2B,UT - COL 650,000
3B Cabrera, Miguel 3B,UT - DET 1,700,000
3B Zimmerman, Ryan 3B,UT - WAS 1,140,000
SS Castro, Starlin SS,UT - CHC 1,120,000
SS Segura, Jean SS,UT - MIL 450,000
OF Bautista, Jose OF,UT - TOR 1,170,000
OF Choo, Shin-Soo OF,UT - CIN 1,090,000
OF Jennings, Desmond OF,UT - TB 880,000
OF Stanton, Giancarlo OF,UT - MIA 1,120,000
OF Trout, Mike OF,UT - LAA 1,450,000
OF Upton, Justin OF,UT - ATL 1,190,000
UT Davis, Ike 1B,UT - NYM 1,000,000
UT Holliday, Matt OF,UT - STL 1,240,000
SP Hernandez, Felix SP,P - SEA 1,250,000
SP Lee, Cliff SP,P - PHI 1,170,000
SP Niese, Jonathon SP,P - NYM 940,000
SP Strasburg, Stephen SP,P - WAS 1,250,000
SP Wainwright, Adam SP,P - STL 1,100,000
SP Zimmermann, Jordan SP,P - WAS 970,000
RP Motte, Jason RP,P - STL 1,090,000
RP Parnell, Bobby RP,P - NYM 800,000
RP Perkins, Glen RP,P - MIN 940,000
P Rondon, Bruce RP,P - DET 750,000
Total 29,750,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
Wieters, Matt C,UT - BAL 790,000
Encarnacion, Edwin 1B,UT - TOR 1,300,000
Pedroia, Dustin 2B,UT - BOS 1,210,000
Frazier, Todd 3B,UT - CIN 840,000
Rollins, Jimmy SS,UT - PHI 1,090,000
Jones, Adam OF,UT - BAL 1,250,000
Bumgarner, Madison SP,P - SF 1,200,000
Gonzalez, Gio SP,P - WAS 1,240,000
Greinke, Zack SP,P - LAD 1,180,000
Latos, Mat SP,P - CIN 1,060,000
Moore, Matt SP,P - TB 850,000
Sale, Chris SP,P - CHW 1,090,000
Total 13,100,000

Everyone is saying first week/2 starts. The first week is just one day, right? After the game on Sunday we have to set our rosters for the next week. Of course with just 1 team playing on Sunday there shouldn't be many moves. I will have the opportunity to take Darvish out after his game on the 31st, right?

Last edited:
Everyone is saying first week/2 starts. The first week is just one day, right? After the game on Sunday we have to set our rosters for the next week. Of course with just 1 team playing on Sunday there shouldn't be many moves. I will have the opportunity to take Darvish after his game on the 31st, right?

that's how i am reading it.

I dropped Morse after Washington traded him to Seattle. He is batting .371 this spring and has 6 HR's. I'm going to rethink that move. He is only 900k and could easily hit .300 with 30 home runs. I haven't checked to see where he is batting in that order. He had those kind of numbers from the 5 spot with the nats. Hopefully he will be batting third this year.

I sure like this board better than the Yahoo fantasy board.

Yes, you could take Darvish out after his game on Sunday night. Might be a good idea, too...because you could get put another 2-start guy in for him, and his 2nd game is at Arlington against the Angels. You could actually get 15 starts in the first 8 days that way....Darvish on Sunday night, then 7 2-start guys from Monday thru Sunday on the first full week. Good point...I hadn't thought about that. (That's what this board is for! :) )

(As we go thru this last two weeks before the deadline to set our rosters, I keep thinking about more & more people. (LOL) I just made two pretty big moves this afternoon: Dropped Anthony Rizzo for Paul Goldschmidt and dropped Ian Kinsler for Aaron Hill. With Eaton looking like he is going to be a very good leadoff guy...and playing in that hitters' park....those Arizona guys are looking good. Also dropped Kris Medlen (again) and picked up Jeff Samardzija (again). Now my total roster price is down to 42.78M....so I will need to upgrade about 300K somewhere.)

Also, Ace.....just filled out my NCAA bracket. Have Indiana beating Ohio State for the championship. 72-67

I am looking at a 2 pitcher swap. Drop Dickey/Medlen for Wainwright/Price.

I sure hope you are right about Indiana. They are not shooting the ball very well right now. Cost them the number 1 seed that would have had them playing in Lexington/Indy. Those would have been like home games.

I've been wondering when you were going to drop Dickey, but I just haven't said anything. I could be wrong, but I think he is going to turn out to be a one-year wonder. He's 38 years old and has never had a single year even anywhere remotely close to what he did last year. (And he's pretty expensive, on top of that.)

Back to the NCAA.... Have my Billikens upsetting Louisville & Michigan State (after the Spartans knock out the Blue Devils) to reach the Final Four. I know that's a longshot, but what the hell, I'm not going to sit there and pull for Duke! (The Hoyas are my last FF team.)

I liked Dickey moving into the AL, but he needed to pick up where he dropped off. Just can't take a chance on a guy like that at that price. If he somehow falls back to where he was last year than I will simply buy him. Just can't take that kind of chance on my opening day roster. IMO, the risk should be taken with cheap players.

I'm glad that STL is not going to play Indiana anytime soon. They are the Whisky/Butler type team that nobody wants to play. As hard as you try they force you to play their game. I sure hope they play Louisville. The Big East tournament got ridiculous with the Louisville "big hack attack" as i call it. Pitino did the same thing at Kentucky. Refs that won't allow that type of play will be their end.

Last edited:
Yeah if he starts the year in the majors, he will likely stay....

Yeah I thought about that, but as it sits now, I don't have another pitcher going twice on that first week. I've picked up and dropped the Shark a few times myself....

I have a few guys I keep struggling over, and then keep thinking of new guys as well....The Gyorko discussion got me thinking of other Padres, and Yonder Alonso at 580 is pretty damn tempting. He said he was battling injuries last year. I think a 15/70/85/.285 line is reasonable from him, and I would take it at 580, just not sure I can fit him in...

I'm not going to build a roster until about a week before the season starts next year. First thing I noticed about the salaries this year is the value at cheaply priced quality SP. My roster has undergone so many transformations and now I have Hamels, Felix, Price, and am trying to figure out a way to sneak Kershaw in there.....what the hell happened to just rolling with the 1000 dollar range???

Yeah, I hear you. But like we talked about earlier, a pitcher has much more impact considering he shows up maximum twice per week, when a hitter is playing 6 or so games. I think that the values are flipped in H2H as opposed to Roto, I don't even select a pitcher until the 7th or 8th round of my H2H draft.

Anyway, back to the lineup tinkering.....I am trying to add too many expensive players, it would seem. Here is a quick list of the guys I've been giving second looks at....

Beckett
Fielder
Kershaw
Viciedo
Samardzja
Alonso/Gyorko

Even kinda looking at Berkman, even though I should know better...

Another cheap....VERY cheap (480K)...outfielder is Domonic Brown from the Phillies. I had him for a short time year before last when he came up and was supposed to be a Jason Heyward-type phenom, based on his minor league stats. He never panned out in 2011 or 2012, though...but he is having a great spring. I just don't know who I would drop if I picked him up. It would have to be an outfielder...and I guess that Starling Marte would be the logical choice, and I don't really want to drop him. Brown is tempting, though. Here is some of the latest stuff being said about him:

(3/19/13) Phillies manager Charlie Manuel indicated on Tuesday that Domonic Brown is a candidate to move up in the batting order after his impressive showing this spring. Brown, who slugged his sixth home run of the spring season on Tuesday, seems most likely to hit sixth in the Phillies' Opening Day lineup. The 25-year-old outfielder is hitting .397 (25-for-63) with six homers and 12 RBI through 22 spring games and has seen his stock soar in recent fantasy drafts.

And, by the way, how is everyone's league filling up...with 12 days to go?

Gold #4 has 17 teams right now. Rookie #3 has 19 teams right now.

I can't stand it!! Brown is looking like the player we thought he would be 2 years ago. Hard to pass on at 480k. What I really like is he is getting a lot at bats. Most in ST. He could be this years Hosmer. The talent has always been there and he is now 25. I hate to give up Eaton or Marte, so that means I would have to upgrade at another position. It would have to be 3rd/1st base and maybe another top pitcher.

Last edited:
I've been going crazy today. I feel like DT, when he said that next year he was going to wait until a week before Opening Day to start working on his roster (which he won't, of course....we are hooked). I've made 5 players changes...a day after I posted that I was "getting closer to my final roster". LOL. And this is really crazy: You know how much I've claimed to dislike the Atlanta Braves over the years (as do others on this board). Well, right now I have all four of the Braves' first four hitters: Andrelton Simmons, Jason Heyward, Justin Upton & Freddie Freeman! (You & I have talked many times about how you cannot let personal team likes & dislikes dictate your fantasy strategy. Chris Sale is the only White Sox player on my team....while I have five Atlanta Braves players.)

After my five player changes, my roster total is down to 42.59M....which is really about 500K too low. Here are those five changes:

Dropped Allen Craig for Freddie Freeman
Dropped Hanley Ramirez for Andrelton Simmons
Dropped Jay Bruce for Domonic Brown
Dropped Josh Rutledge for Ian Kinsler (If I'm picking up Simmons (450K) & Brown (480K)....and keeping Eaton (450K) & Marte (560K)...I don't need cheapies everywhere!)
Dropped Jeff Samardzija for Adam Wainwright

And this time, I'm not saying this is my final roster! Here it is. I'm open for comments & suggestions. (The reason my starting lineup has 680K left over is that after Darvish pitches Sunday night I am going to take him out and put in Verlander...which will use up 590K of that. And Kinsler is my only hitter from Texas & Houston, anyway.

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C Mauer, Joe C,UT - MIN 870,000
C Santana, Carlos C,UT - CLE 770,000
1B Goldschmidt, Paul 1B,UT - ARI 1,120,000
2B Hill, Aaron 2B,UT - ARI 1,090,000
2B Kinsler, Ian 2B,UT - TEX 1,290,000
3B Gyorko, Jedd 3B,UT - SD 700,000
SS Simmons, Andrelton SS,UT - ATL 450,000
SS Tulowitzki, Troy SS,UT - COL 1,270,000
OF Cespedes, Yoenis OF,UT - OAK 1,020,000
OF Eaton, Adam OF,UT - ARI 450,000
OF Harper, Bryce OF,UT - WAS 1,000,000
OF Heyward, Jason OF,UT - ATL 1,060,000
OF Upton, Justin OF,UT - ATL 1,190,000
UT Brown, Domonic OF,UT - PHI 480,000
UT Marte, Starling OF,UT - PIT 550,000
SP Anderson, Brett SP,P - OAK 740,000
SP Darvish, Yu SP,P - TEX 1,000,000
SP Kershaw, Clayton SP,P - LAD 1,560,000
SP Price, David SP,P - TB 1,430,000
SP Sale, Chris SP,P - CHW 1,090,000
RP Kimbrel, Craig RP,P - ATL 1,300,000
RP Rondon, Bruce RP,P - DET 750,000
RP Soriano, Rafael RP,P - WAS 1,020,000
P Hernandez, Felix SP,P - SEA 1,250,000
Total 29,320,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
Posey, Buster C,UT - SF 990,000
Freeman, Freddie 1B,UT - ATL 1,090,000
Pedroia, Dustin 2B,UT - BOS 1,210,000
Middlebrooks, Will 3B,UT - BOS 730,000
Castro, Starlin SS,UT - CHC 1,120,000
Stanton, Giancarlo OF,UT - MIA 1,120,000
Cain, Matt SP,P - SF 1,310,000
Cobb, Alex SP,P - TB 680,000
Verlander, Justin SP,P - DET 1,590,000
Wainwright, Adam SP,P - STL 1,100,000
Motte, Jason RP,P - STL 1,090,000
Total 13,270,000

I'm making most of those moves. Freeman has such a great spring, and I don't like that Craig is batting second. (always had Simmons) Adding Brown will force me to upgrade an infield position. I like Kinsler, but thinking it might be Longoria....maybe both. I haven't even dropped Dickey yet though it will happen. I am like guys...just thinking a lot.

Started out going with all those high priced OF's, and now I will probably have 3 cheap ones.

Last edited:
I'm in pretty much the same boat. I've got that extra 500K to upgrade somewhere. May not use all of it, but there is no need to keep my roster a half million under 43M. (Also, if for some reason Rondon doesn't get the full closer job, I can always use some of that to pick up Romo.) Longoria was a guy I've looked at, but I'm still not convinced he is worth 1250K. He seems to get hurt all the time. I even took another look at Zimmerman. And even though Middlebrooks is cheap at 730K, I feel good about him turning in some solid numbers this year....25 to 30 HRs and 90 RBIs or so. Don't know what Gyorko will do, but I'm not depending on him too much, so he isn't critical. My pitching is pretty well loaded right now. I may need to try to find a few more HRs, since I dropped Bruce. I'm carrying nine outfielders, so even though I have those three cheap ones, I still have six others. I just couldn't bring myself to drop either Eaton or Marte. Solid leadoff hitters who can steal 25 to 30 bases and score around 100 runs at those prices are hard to turn down.

ETA: Freeman is in such a great spot in that lineup. Not only does he have those 3 guys hitting in front of him, but he has B J Upton hitting behind him. Atlanta is a different team these days. They have always been about pitching, which carried some questionable hitting. Now their offense looks super, while the pitching is the question mark. Looks to me, though, like the Braves & Nationals are going to be ruling the NL East for awhile.

I am only at about 41 mil. The only way for me to change that number is to drop a cheap OF...which I may do. Still i expect to start the season no higher than 42 mil.

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C Napoli, Mike C,UT - BOS 760,000
C Posey, Buster C,UT - SF 990,000
1B Freeman, Freddie 1B,UT - ATL 1,090,000
2B Altuve, Jose 2B,UT - HOU 980,000
2B Cano, Robinson 2B,UT - NYY 1,530,000
3B Longoria, Evan 3B,UT - TB 1,250,000
SS Escobar, Alcides SS,UT - KC 900,000
SS Simmons, Andrelton SS,UT - ATL 450,000
OF Braun, Ryan OF,UT - MIL 1,710,000
OF Brown, Domonic OF,UT - PHI 480,000
OF Eaton, Adam OF,UT - ARI 450,000
OF Gonzalez, Carlos OF,UT - COL 1,360,000
OF Stanton, Giancarlo OF,UT - MIA 1,120,000
UT Marte, Starling OF,UT - PIT 550,000
UT Tulowitzki, Troy SS,UT - COL 1,270,000
SP Anderson, Brett SP,P - OAK 740,000
SP Darvish, Yu SP,P - TEX 1,000,000
SP Hernandez, Felix SP,P - SEA 1,250,000
SP Sale, Chris SP,P - CHW 1,090,000
SP Wainwright, Adam SP,P - STL 1,100,000
RP Romo, Sergio RP,P - SF 1,050,000
RP Rondon, Bruce RP,P - DET 750,000
RP Soriano, Rafael RP,P - WAS 1,020,000
P Motte, Jason RP,P - STL 1,090,000
Total 29,850,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
Perez, Salvador C,UT - KC 640,000
Rizzo, Anthony 1B,UT - CHC 810,000
Cruz, Luis 3B,UT - LAD 450,000
Hamilton, Josh OF,UT - LAA 1,470,000
Rutledge, Josh 2B,UT - COL 650,000
Cobb, Alex SP,P - TB 680,000
Lee, Cliff SP,P - PHI 1,170,000
Price, David SP,P - TB 1,430,000
Scherzer, Max SP,P - DET 1,050,000
Weaver, Jered SP,P - LAA 1,390,000
Chapman, Aroldis SP,P - CIN 1,110,000
Total 12,090,000

Opps, I am about 42 mil. I still have some changes to make with my hitting. Pitching is getting close.

Last edited:
How much do you guys take defense into consideration when looking at a pitcher? I have Lee and Hamels currently. I really like both, but one thing I absolutely hate is an infield of Young-Rollins-Utley-Howard.

How much do you guys take defense into consideration when looking at a pitcher? I have Lee and Hamels currently. I really like both, but one thing I absolutely hate is an infield of Young-Rollins-Utley-Howard.

I have always paid more attention to the offense that a team offers a pitcher. They can bail out a pitcher who doesn't have his best stuff. Bad defense may cost him a win, but it shouldn't hurt the rest of his numbers. While there are great defensive teams, they all play at a high level.

Lee and Hamels baffle me. If you look at last years numbers (which I'm sure you have) they are practically identical. How could Hamels win 17 games and Lee just 6? Lee's price tag dropped big time while Hamels jumped accordingly. I haven't dug deep to find a reason for this to see if there is more to it than bad luck. Lee may have just had a lot more bad match ups along with the team not giving him as much run support. Myself, I like Lee's chances at that price. A few years back the same thing happened in AZ although to a lesser degree. Harren was out pitching Webb, or at least pitching as well. Webb was getting much better run support, and racking up the wins along with the Cy Young.

Lee and Hamels baffle me. If you look at last years numbers (which I'm sure you have) they are practically identical. How could Hamels win 17 games and Lee just 6?

Just reaffirms that wins are an unpredictable stat. I think Hamels and Lee will put up similar #'s this year (maybe Hamels is a little better). My thought with Hamels, is that you are paying a 170k premium over Lee based upon the fluky nature of their win totals last year.

Just reaffirms that wins are an unpredictable stat. I think Hamels and Lee will put up similar #'s this year (maybe Hamels is a little better). My thought with Hamels, is that you are paying a 170k premium over Lee based upon the fluky nature of their win totals last year.

And Lee was 250k more expensive than Hamels in 2012. That is a heck of a turn around that is based solely on wins.

I will add a rookie team today in league #4. If someone else already has this league let us know by this evening.

I had Chapman, but I dropped him a few days ago when I still thought he was a starter. At his price, I figured there were better SP's available. Now, I'm thinking about adding him back. My plan is to go cheap on closers. Right now I have Motte, Parnell, Perkins, and Cishek. Chapman costs 10k more than Motte, but probably has a much higher ceiling.

Will the salaries of players in the player pool change during the season? For example, Dom Brown costs 480k right now. If he goes out and hits 10 hrs the first month, will Fantrax raise his salary to 1,000,000? Or will he be 480k for the whole season, no matter what happens?

Back