• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Castillo's problem is that he can't defend, which is a real issue for a defender.

I thought he had a really solid night defending, aside from the one fuck up. I thought it should have been a foul, but the linesman called it far too late. In fairness, he made a nice move and had a clear opportunity to clear it up field but decided to pull it back, which got him in trouble. Stupid play.

There were no key passes, no successful crosses, and no successful dribbles on his side of the pitch. He made a number of defensive interceptions and contained his man when needed. Granted he didn't have to go up against DeRo, but he got the job done.

Seemed to me like he was beaten badly more than once, and that we'd have paid for it had we been playing a team that could convert chances.

As a whole, we just weren't sharp tonight. Really happy about Goodson, though. We needed another CB to step up and he did.

Good atmosphere for the Brazil-Mexico game, which was expected. Brazil represented well, but still only made up about 15% of the crowd. Biggest difference between this game and the USA game that I saw was Mexico actually had defenders and they took full advantage of what opportunities they had. I was surprised at how well they stifled Brazil's offense.

That is only because they are better than us.

Either Parky isn't at his best at RB or the Danish Superliga is shit. He's looked bad in both games he's played.

DS is shit. Parkhurst is solid enough, but he has severe limitations as a defender. Top quality opponents would destroy him.

As well as the Brazil match. Those certainly seem to say more than a 5-1 blistering of guys in kilts.

I know you can't judge much from one or even two matches, and particularly friendlies, but that Mexico team I watched today looked loads better than anything the US has put on the field the last two times out. They looked better against Bosnia too.

Again, that is only because they are better than us. Don't let the blinded fanbois around here tell you otherwise. The proof is obvious to anyone that is willing to look at the two NTs objectively.

How was Canada robbed of a goal? Foul or not, the US players stopped defending after the whistle. Just shut up.

No defender would have gotten to him and Timmy was certainly still playing and went to ground far too early. Canada got robbed of a goal via terrible officiating. It happens. But no US defender would have been able to stop that goal even without a whistle.

Had it recorded and stopped watching after the 60th. Brutal

I made it to the 53rd. I see I missed nothing afterwards that would give me reason to start watching it again.

------------

Castillo is a shitty defender. He apparently thinks he is a winger. He isn't. He is a "defender". He can fuck off with his terrible decision making. What is he doing dicking around with the ball 10 yards from his own byline? Fucking twat. I never want to see an idiot like that in the back 4 during an important match. There is literally no excuse for a defender trying to pull off some dribble moves in his own defensive 3rd. None. Castillo did is numerous times and we should have been punished for one of them. No place in the team for a jackass like that. Some cunt worrying about beating his man instead of actually clearing his lines. Boils my blood.

Chicharito now has scored 25 goals in 36 games for Mexico against 19 different opponents.

He's not that good. Only a "poacher."

I'm really confused why we would play a more defensive 4-4-2 tonight. We played very well against Scotland and Brazil with a 4-3-3 and tonight I felt we were more defensive. Dempsey and Donovan are really difficult to use in a 4-4-2 because they both like to get central and the FWD doesn't know where to play. Dolo never got forward tonight.

I understand shifting players a bit before the qualifier on friday to get a feel for different combinations and to work Dempsey and Altidore into the mix but I'm with you on the formations. WTF. The 4-3-3 was terrific with our personnel why use a defensive 4-4-2???? We looked horrible against Canada with it.

Chicharito now has scored 25 goals in 36 games for Mexico against 19 different opponents.

He's not that good. Only a "poacher."

I'll take the bait. His last 4 goals since the 2011 Gold Cup have been 2 PKs, a tap in on a missed bicycle kick clearance, and a good finish on yet another failed clearance. I'm pretty sure that is the definition of a "poacher"

Who cares that he poaches? He gets the job done. You know who else poaches goals? Nikica fucking Jelavic. And he's a boss. Hernandez is a good soccer player but he's Mexican so fuck him.

Did anyone listen to the post game interviews with Howard and Cherundolo. Neither seemed to be too upset with the US's play last night.

Did anyone listen to the post game interviews with Howard and Cherundolo. Neither seemed to be too upset with the US's play last night.

The only thing I'm really upset about is Canada just did the same thing defensively as they did against our U23s and Klinsmann didn't adapt. We're going to see a lot more of that in qualifying. You can't play through the middle when the opponent defends entirely in the middle third. You have to play combinations out wide and attack from the corners rather than settling for floated crosses from outside the box.

We have to stop playing a wide formation if the wingers we use (Torres, Landy) can't beat their defender 1v1. Say what you will about Brek Shea (I know he's prob not ready), but he showed he was capable of beating defenders on his own out wide. Without those kinds of players, you're really only going to create chances out wide with FB overlaps.

We have to stop playing a wide formation if the wingers we use (Torres, Landy) can't beat their defender 1v1. Say what you will about Brek Shea (I know he's prob not ready), but he showed he was capable of beating defenders on his own out wide. Without those kinds of players, you're really only going to create chances out wide with FB overlaps.

Not he didn't. He didn't show that at all.

Watched most of our game last night. The only good chance we had was the 1 near the end. Also watched a bit of our 5-1 loss to Brazil. That wasn't as bad - at least there we missed on 4-5 good scoring opportunities. What pisses me off is soccer has really been on the rise in the last decade or so in this country, but it seems as though we have no really good younger players to add to our mix of vets. This team as is ain't going nowhere in the next WC.

Didn't see Mex/Brz, but Mexico is for real. I watched the 4-2 bitch-slapping of us last year after they spotted us 2 cheap goals, and they just dominated us all game. This ain't the old Mexico of 10-20 years ago that maintains possession but can't finish. These guys can score now. I'm not a soccer officianado or anything, but the last few times I've seen Mexico suggest that they may deserve a seed in 2 years. More impressed with them than I've been with England, France, Italy and Portugal in the last 2 years. And man do I wish Chicharito was poaching for us.

We didn't have a ton of chances, but we had a few - the one you mention, Goodson's header off a free kick, is one. Another was the through ball to Dempsey that, had it been played a fraction of a second earlier, likely would have resulted in a goal. Of course, our Hat also should have converted a sitter in the six yard box, so we can consider ourselves very fortunate.

Back