• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Deadline day move. People just waiting for the situation to get desperate for Fulham, not just Dempsey, then they'll put in a bid.

I think this is right; but still, Dempsey is acting like a complete cunt right now. Inexcusable.

Dempsey hasn't said a word all summer and now Jol has come out and contradicted himself 3 times in the last week. First Jol said Clint refused to play, then Jol said maybe that wasn't really correct and now he's saying he was embarrassed that Fulham fans were booing him.

Clint has never been the prima donna whine to get his way type. I have a hard time believing he ever refused to play. I'm interested to see how this plays out.

So you figure that Dempsey didn't play yesterday because Jol is just fucking around? Clearly Dempsey is trying to force thru a move even tho no club has bid for him. He is acting like a cunt.

So you figure that Dempsey didn't play yesterday because Jol is just fucking around? Clearly Dempsey is trying to force thru a move even tho no club has bid for him. He is acting like a cunt.

I'm saying it's become clear that Dempsey never refused to play as has been reported. Other than that, I have no idea what is going on. Maybe Fulham wasn't playing him as they thought a deal was being done? Jol says there's been no formal bids, but I've read his frustration is due to him thinking a deal with Liverpool was all but done.

At the end of the day, I'll trust the guy who has never complained to the media in his life despite going through a similar situation in NE. He's kept quiet despite his coach and his fans attacking him. If he wanted to be difficult he'd take his grievances public, kill any leverage Fulham had to sell him at a decent price and move on to another team.

I'm sure your POV would be the same if the player in question didn't just happen to be American.

Dempsey is acting like a cunt. Clubs don't just sit their best players for no reason. Get serious.

I'm sure your POV would be the same if the player in question didn't just happen to be American.

Dempsey is acting like a cunt. Clubs don't just sit their best players for no reason. Get serious.

Oh noes, you got me, I'm biased as an American! Of course I am. I trust Dempsey's character more than the British media. You on the other hand are getting your viewpoint entirely from sources which routinely lie and twist situations to create stories.

I'll wait until things reach a conclusion before placing blame. You can feel free to jump the gun and say this is Dempsey's fault.

I trust what has happened time and time in the past with players that want to move to bigger clubs. It's a familiar script.

Occam's Razor suggests that Dempsey is being a cunt instead of Fulham deciding not to play him for no reason. Simple logic.

More reports that Dempsey has no offers. Jesus, what is Deuce thinking?

This whole thing is a joke. Rodgers reached out to Fulham, but didn't make an offer because Fulham is (sorry, are) being morons and wanted more than market value for him. You can't shop a guy behind the scenes then throw him under the bus by suggesting you have no intention of selling him. I've lost respect for Fulham here. I understand they're in a bad situation and that Dempsey essentially put them in it, but the thing has been handled very poorly.

That's bullshit, dv7. Coming from the guy here with the least passion for US soccer, it's not unexpected.

Dempsey told Fulham he wanted a bigger stage. They know what his value is as a 29 year old entering the last year of his contract. They know this yet are acting like pricks. They'd have been relegated without him - on more than one occasion. He's given the club all he has and yet Fulham have acted "petulant," as you English/Amerenglish like to say. Fuck them.

I think this is right; but still, Dempsey is acting like a complete cunt right now. Inexcusable.

I disagree man; we haven't heard anything from the dude yet. You know how ridiculous the media gets -- the resort to just making stuff up.

My opinions are based on what I heard Jol say. I haven't read any media spin on the Dempsey situation.

There is a reason Fulham didn't play Clint Dempsey yesterday, and that reason isn't because Jol thought his side was better without Dempsey in the starting XI.

Jol said: "Clint is not involved. ... Clint told us that he wanted to leave and that he wasn't ready to play for this club anymore.
"The Fenway Group put on their website that Clint signed for Liverpool. But I can assure everyone there was no firm bid from Liverpool, so I have to say it was quite a problem for us,''

"Clint feels he needs a move, that he wants a move and that was probably Liverpool,'' Jol said. "But Liverpool did their business, bought other players, but no Clint. So we've ended up in a situation with Clint here at Fulham, but he's not committed to the club.
"Hopefully there will be an offer for him because our chairman (Mohamed Al Fayed) is quite strong and he told us that although Clint wants to move, and wants to go to a Champions League club, you have to respect our view that we can't let Clint go on the cheap,'' he said.
"And we won't.

"So if there is no firm offer on the table, he has to stay here.''

Michael Bradley scores for AS Roma in their final preseason friendly vs Aris.

Last edited:
Back