• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

My opinions are based on what I heard Jol say. I haven't read any media spin on the Dempsey situation.

There is a reason Fulham didn't play Clint Dempsey yesterday, and that reason isn't because Jol thought his side was better without Dempsey in the starting XI.

They didn't play him because they're trying to sell him.

They didn't play him because they're trying to sell him.

That makes no sense. He doesn't get cup tied or anything like that.

They didn't play him because he is refusing to play. He isn't acting professional and honoring his contract. It really is as simple as that. Any other player and you would agree with me, but since it is Clint Dempsey you are deluding yourself. It's quite odd.

Interesting

A0wQXmPCMAAq4rf.jpg

Next up for MLS, start to get anywhere near topping the talent in Argentina, France, and Brazil, Russia, Turkey's leagues

ETA: that's not meant as a diss, I truly mean now that they have a nice solid base they really should start upping the talent

Next up for MLS, start to get anywhere near topping the talent in Argentina, France, and Brazil, Russia, Turkey's leagues

ETA: that's not meant as a diss, I truly mean now that they have a nice solid base they really should start upping the talent

Agreed. Though with the salary cap slowly rising and most teams investing substantially on developmental programs, I think they're on the right track. It's going to take awhile though.

That makes no sense. He doesn't get cup tied or anything like that.

They didn't play him because he is refusing to play. He isn't acting professional and honoring his contract. It really is as simple as that. Any other player and you would agree with me, but since it is Clint Dempsey you are deluding yourself. It's quite odd.

Honestly, are you an idiot, or just - as your record indicates - just trying to be argumentative? Are you really suggesting that players don't sit out games, during transfer negotiations, due to the potential for injury, etc...?

Timmay with a clean sheet on United today. All in all, a pretty good week for Murka, one that didn't include Dempsey and barely included Donovan.

Timmy? Top 5, probably. You mean just in the PL, right?

Timmy is top 15 in the world.

I was tongue in cheek with the top 5. But I believe he's top 10. What 10 are better than him?

Casillas
Valdes
Buffon
Neuer
Hart

Then who? Cech is old and regressing. De Gea is still to raw. Ochoa sucks. Who else do you have that's better than Tim?

I was tongue in cheek with the top 5. But I believe he's top 10. What 10 are better than him?

Casillas
Valdes
Buffon
Neuer
Hart

Then who? Cech is old and regressing. De Gea is still to raw. Ochoa sucks. Who else do you have that's better than Tim?

Reina
Vorm (best Dutch keeper IMO)
Adler
Wiese
Zieler (God, the Germans are stacked)

I'm only familiar with Pepe Reina and Vorm out of those lists. Pepe has been regressing for a few years now. But I'll give you Vorm, dude is a stud

I think Timmy is better than Reina now - Reina has really fallen off.

The Germans are just stupidly loaded at GK. Zieler is a beast and he might be lucky to get 15 caps total in his career.

Yeah, I was somewhat hesitant to put Reina up there based on some of his clangers from last season, but he is still an outstanding GK. I reserve the right to move him below Timmy at any point during this season if that keeps up.

I also think Vyacheslav Malafeev belongs in the conversation - he had a terrible injury when he was 25 that took him almost 2 years to recover from and he kind of fell off the national team radar, but he's been an absolute monster for Zenit for several years in a row now and has taken back the Russia #1 job from Akinfeev (lol so overrated) as well.

Back