• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Women's Basketball (7-24) - Signed 6-2 PF/C Kennedy Moore from Montana

I urge yall to kick 500-1500/year to Kim Lewellans pot here. It really goes along way. We need to keep her and that team rolling. They are great.

Paul Kennedy is in charge of that at deacon club. The last thing we want is her going to UNC because they have more resources. Let’s keep her!

Agree. Last year, it appears that WF didn't even swing as we left 3 ships unused. FWIW, always wondered if that was a WF athletic department being cheap decision (and shorting the women's program), as Gebbia knew that WF had no frontcout last year, and didn't use all her ships. Made no sense.

Women’s hoops has more ‘ships than men’s hoops and fewer potential walk-ons or late scholly ads worth the trouble. If she struck out on a bunch of transfers, I get it.

Last edited:
Women’s hoops has more ‘ships than men’s hoops and fewer potential walk-ons or late scholly ads worth the trouble. If she struck out ok a bunch of transfers, I get it.
Maybe, but its seems unlikely.

What NIL budget does it take to be competitive in the ACC. Like top of conference and middle of the pack? And what kind of budget are we working with?

From a sheer ROI, I would imagine throwing $250K-$500K for a year or two towards women's basketball, taking Wake from a doormat to say, a Sweet 16, would be a pretty big one, especially for Wake when the sport is as popular as it has ever been and money should follow.

From a sheer ROI, I would imagine throwing $250K-$500K for a year or two towards women's basketball, taking Wake from a doormat to say, a Sweet 16, would be a pretty big one, especially for Wake when the sport is as popular as it has ever been and money should follow.
Not sure if throwing $250K and $500K does much, other than get WF out of the bottom of the ACC.

Tennesssee supposedly threw six figures at Jewel Spear alone, and she was not the headliner on the TN roster, and they didn't make the Sweet 16. Put another way, WF had Jewel Spear the year before and didn't sniff the NCAAT. I'm guess a lot more than 16 teams spend $250K to $500K on women's basketball and all of them have a much better track record than WF. Would guess that there are more than 16 teams in the Big 10 and SEC alone that devote a lot more than than that to women's hoop.

Last edited:
Not sure if throwing $250K and $500K does much, other than get WF to out of the bottom of the ACC.

Tennesssee supposedly threw six figures at Jewel Spear alone, and she was not the headliner on the TN roster, and they didn't make the Sweet 16. Put another way, WF had Jewel Spear the year before and didn't sniff the NCAAT. I'm guess a lot more than 16 teams spend $250K to $500K on women's basketball and all of them have a much better track record than WF. Would guess that there are more than 16 teams in the Big 10 and SEC alone that devote a lot more than than that to women's hoop.
I’m sure there are half a dozen programs spending big money, but I really doubt it’s many more than that.

@RollTheQuadNIL I'm curious if you have any insight into what it would take to be Mid/Top of ACC in NIL? Even if you can't share exactly where we are at (although that would be welcome too).

I ask all of it because it seems like a much more attainable goal for becoming competitive from strictly a resources perspective than say football (though I doubt most donors would be willing to divert much from football to WBB). And framing what it would take as something attainable may make it more real.

Well we took the momentum we had, got rid of the coach, and went 7-24. So....I don't know if it's as popular as ever right now.

Well we took the momentum we had, got rid of the coach, and went 7-24. So....I don't know if it's as popular as ever right now.
Just meant women’s basketball as a whole. The Hoover thing remains just a huge head scratcher to me, especially since it appears we are putting not a lot of emphasis or stress on getting better.

Yeah...the time is now to invest in womens basketball. Honestly the time was right after we made the first tournamnent in 30 years but that didn't happen so the next best time is now.

@RollTheQuadNIL I'm curious if you have any insight into what it would take to be Mid/Top of ACC in NIL? Even if you can't share exactly where we are at (although that would be welcome too).

I ask all of it because it seems like a much more attainable goal for becoming competitive from strictly a resources perspective than say football (though I doubt most donors would be willing to divert much from football to WBB). And framing what it would take as something attainable may make it more real.
RTQ has already addressed this, but if you are going to give major dollars (or even minor dollars) to the WF collective, you decide where it goes.

Essentially, the payoff for NIL donors is a seat at the table with the staff and getting to see where your dollars go. There is a reason why it's a good sign when potential recruits and portal candidates follow Mit Shah and vice versa. So, for women's basketball to get NIL money; those that contribute to the WF NIL have to make that sport the priority. To date, women's basketball has not been a priority for WF donors. Maybe that changes with the increased attention in the sport.

RTQ has already addressed this, but if you are going to give major dollars (or even minor dollars) to the WF collective, you decide where it goes.

Essentially, the payoff for NIL donors is a seat at the table with the staff and getting to see where your dollars go. There is a reason why it's a good sign when potential recruits and portal candidates follow Mit Shah and vice versa. So, for women's basketball to get NIL money; those that contribute to the WF NIL have to make that sport the priority. To date, women's basketball has not been a priority for WF donors. Maybe that changes with the increased attention in the sport.
Yep. Thanks for the explanation but I wasn’t unclear on that point. Just on what it would take in directed funding from our fan base for the program to be different levels of competitive.

Kids want to play in the NCAA tournament and our women are a long way from that. It likely prevents us from keeping someone like Jewel because she wants to play on a bigger stage and go to the dance.

We do have a chance now and it’s not buying one or two players it’s buying six players who can get you to the tournament in year one. That gets you on a national,stage and you can build from there.

ACC is good and going to get better so we need to quickly find so,e money for the program or we will get left at the station. USC is investing like crazy and Dawn makes 3M a year

Back