• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Carolina Panthers thread - WR Leggette, RB Brooks, LB Wallace, TE Sanders, CB Smith-Wade, DT Crumedy, LB Barrett

Legette is already 23 and had 423 receiving yards in his first four years of college combined. He played 41 games in that time, so it's not like he was constantly plagued by injuries, either. In the second round last year, we took a big, older guy who wasn't an early declare and had underwhelming college production with a late breakout age. Let's not do that again.

I'd love to double dip on WR in the second round, especially if we can trade down, but would rather see us target a speed guy like Worthy or Franklin.

Legette is already 23 and had 423 receiving yards in his first four years of college combined. He played 41 games in that time, so it's not like he was constantly plagued by injuries, either. In the second round last year, we took a big, older guy who wasn't an early declare and had underwhelming college production with a late breakout age. Let's not do that again.

I'd love to double dip on WR in the second round, especially if we can trade down, but would rather see us target a speed guy like Worthy or Franklin.
Yeah Legette not breaking out until his final year is a pretty big red flag. Not too many drafted receivers with that sort of profile turn out to be good in the NFL.

Hopefully Legette gets picked midway through the third round and serves as a lesson to Sallis that he can't trust draft guarantees and needs to come back for another year.

I think the lure of Legette is that they think he could turn into a #1 WR in the right situation given his physical traits coupled with his final year production, and he should be there at 33 and possibly 39. The other guys in that range are all good but likely more solid #2 WRs in the NFL than potential #1s, even Don't Call Me Phil. They'd be picking him for the upside and hoping his floor isn't much lower than the other guys, though it probably is.

There are some thoughts they may double dip on WRs at 33 and 39, in which case Legette would certainly be one of them for upside. I think they have too many other needs to do that, and they just took Mingo who is okay and still have Thielen. They need OL, CB, LB, S, or TE with that other 2nd round pick. But Legette has been the primary point of discussion in CLT for weeks (likely assuming Phil is off the board though).

I agree this is the concern. But... there are some reasons to mitigate the concern... Legette went to USC from a really, really small town (high school was 750 kids, he played almost every position on the football team). His Mom passed away in early high school from breast cancer and his Dad passed away right before he graduated high school. Sounds like it took him some time to adjust to college life and settle in as a WR, as he was recruited as an "athlete."

That being said - I think the 2nd round is a reach

i'm sure they exist, but who are similar guys that bloomed late in college, had one decent year, and then were good pros?

Mingo is not "OK." He looks like a potential bust they can't give up on yet.

If the Panthers have like 15 players they'd be fine taking after Day 1, I'd like to see them trade down from #33 to get a later 2nd between 36-45, a mid-round 3rd, and a future Day 3 pick.

Liggette feels like a bust. He also is a prototype of the wide recievers we have been drafting the last ten years. So I think it happens.

Xavier Legette from his Freshman year to Senior year put up 42 rec/ 423 yards/ 5 TDs cumulative. Over 4 seasons and 47 games.

Taylor Morin put up 41 rec/ 617 yards/ 2 TDs just in 2023. Cameron Hite's 2023 stats of 13 rec/ 160 yards/ 2 TDs were better than Legette's freshman-junior season and on par with his senior year.

I don't care what he did as a 5th year senior, that's not a college profile I'm ever willing to draft at the very top of the second round.

Drafting a 23 year old based on one year of production seems like a massive risk that the Panthers will screw up in some way. Either they take him and he's a bust or they don't and the Falcons take him and he torches them every year.

Drafting a 23 year old based on one year of production seems like a massive risk that the Panthers will screw up in some way. Either they take him and he's a bust or they don't and the Falcons take him and he torches them every year.
Yeah, and circumstances matter. Cousins, Bijon, London and a good OL will make whatever WR they draft in round 2 look better than they are. Think they go edge in round 1. They're easily the most improved team in the league, and, with an easy schedule, they could end up being the best challenger to SF in the NFC.

Kyle Pitts is just a little bigger than Leggette and they haven't bothered to throw him the ball all that much. maybe that'll change with a new coach this year.

So i watched just about every one of Leggette's games at USC and his first couple of years , he was a non factor. Then he got some real playing time but drove me crazy with drops but was electric as a kick returner. Then this past year, Juice Wells got hurt and Leggette was forced to become the number one target and he was fantastic. I've never seen a guy improve so much in such a small amount of time. He caught everything thrown at him and had elite speed and instincts for YAC. Just about every game I watched I said I some point, I can't believe this is the same guy that I used to yell at through the TV. I've also read that teams really like for because of the new kick off return rules...some player is going to break out with those new rules and I could totally see it being a guy like Leggette. Lastly, he has the best southern accent you will ever hear . So ....I hope the panthers get him but I like him at 39 better than I like him at 33.

Jesus these fucking Millennial/Gen Z people are just so oblivious to the world around them that they don't know when to not say something stupid.

[yes i am aware this could be said about me as well]

Back