• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Carolina Panthers thread - Panthers welcome RB Rashaad Penny

I think this draft will probably suck in retrospect
I actually kinda liked your day 3. Sanders is a good TE, Smith-Wade made a name for himself at the Senior or Shrine Bowl - I forget which, and Michigan had a great LB corps. But I hated your day 2.

What’s the track record of Senior Bowl standouts? Drafting a player based on one end of the season exhibition game seems like a risk.

It’s hard to trust this franchise. When is the last time the Panthers drafted a player who had/has a top 5 career compared to everyone picked behind him? Luke?

Even Derrick Brown got picked before Lamb, Jefferson, Diggs, Hurts, and some other really good players.

What’s the track record of Senior Bowl standouts? Drafting a player based on one end of the season exhibition game seems like a risk.

It’s hard to trust this franchise. When is the last time the Panthers drafted a player who had/has a top 5 career compared to everyone picked behind him? Luke?

Even Derrick Brown got picked before Lamb, Jefferson, Diggs, Hurts, and some other really good players.
It's not the actual game. It's the week of practices, 1 on 1s and interviews. A lot of the scouts don't actually stay for the game. Teams put more import on those 2 practice weeks than the combine. Especially if you're a small school kid. Barely anyone had ever heard of Braxton Jones from So Utah or Quinn Meinerz from Wisconsin Whitewater. They had great practice weeks and then get drafted in the 5th and 3rd respectively and are now good starters.

McCaffrey. That’s about it.

It's not the actual game. It's the week of practices, 1 on 1s and interviews. A lot of the scouts don't actually stay for the game. Teams put more import on those 2 practice weeks than the combine. Especially if you're a small school kid. Barely anyone had ever heard of Braxton Jones from So Utah or Quinn Meinerz from Wisconsin Whitewater. They had great practice weeks and then get drafted in the 5th and 3rd respectively and are now good starters.

Sure. It’s the week. But the story on this kid seems to be he didn’t have a pick all season but had two in the Senior Bowl. And he played for the CFP runner-up Washington.

Thanks. My bad. Still not an unknown program.

Brooks was a good pick. Best RB in the draft. Really good receiver out of the backfield means another weapon for Young. Team docs really went through it with Brooks and he will be healthy. Ask the 49ers if they value the RB position. We have got to be able to be a threat in the running game to open things up for Bryce. Panthers have a bad running back stable. And like I said he has great hands. Good pick by the Panthers.

And the not valuing the RB position is just trendy.

The only odd move to me in an otherwise smart draft by the Panthers was not taking Payton Wilson when they took the other linebacker instead. I assume that had to do with his injury history which is why he was even available.

Brooks was a good pick. Best RB in the draft. Really good receiver out of the backfield means another weapon for Young. Team docs really went through it with Brooks and he will be healthy. Ask the 49ers if they value the RB position. We have got to be able to be a threat in the running game to open things up for Bryce. Panthers have a bad running back stable. And like I said he has great hands. Good pick by the Panthers.

The only odd move to me in an otherwise smart draft by the Panthers was not taking Payton Wilson when they took the other linebacker instead. I assume that had to do with his injury history which is why he was even available.
Meh. I don’t think Brooks will be enough of an upgrade over Sanders/Hubbard to take in the 2nd on a team with so many needs.

I think Miles can be very good in a competent offense but Chuba looked better because he could break some tackles when the line didn’t block and run against a stacked box playing the run.

lol okay

The Panthers are the worst team in the league and the worst franchise in the league. This team has major needs at every position. They already spent big on a FA RB. They have a RB on a rookie deal who is decent enough. It didn't make sense to prioritize RB with a 2nd round pick which should be a potential franchise player. And what if Brooks does end up being a great RB? Are they going to give him a huge second contract? He won't have much trade value. By contrast, spend that pick on an edge rusher and they could get good trade value for him if they didn't want to pay him.

I think that chart is important to show that you don't need an elite RB if you have an ELIte QB. The QBs on that list are generally ELIte - Brady a million times, Mahomes, Peyton, Eli, Stafford, etc. It is no coincidence that the two largest RB components - Lynch and Rice (who were both excellent RBs) - are paired with two of the lesser of the QBs: Wilson and WackoFlaccoFlav.

If you have an ELIte QB, then no you don't need a fantastic RB. But if your QB is just pretty good, then you need a really good RB to win. I don't think anyone thinks Bryce Young is going to be an ELIte NFL QB. Nobody is confusing him with Mahomes or Brady. His range is somewhere from Awful to hopefully Pretty Good. I think Dan Morgan is realistic about that. He had the chance to get the best RB in the draft with the 46th pick. Before the injury Brooks was a definite first round lock. He is a bonafide 3-down RB, and the Panthers don't need him to start Day 1. They aren't winning anything this year and Morgan knows it is a multiyear process. If Brooks is able to start by midseason, but turns into a feature RB, then that is a huge win. I really like the pick as it relates to the Panthers timeline.

I also like the TE pick. That dude seems like a steal from both a production and athleticism standpoint. He was right up there with Bowers in the TE receiving metrics. No he can't block, but who gives a shit? They can find a blocking TE easy enough, Tremble is already really good at it.

If Morgan was able to come out of this draft with a #1 WR, #1 RB, and #1 TE, that is pretty damn good. We'll see if it happens, but he clearly had a plan and made the moves to execute it. Put the pieces around Bryce to see if he can do the job. Offensive/QB coach, upgraded Oline, and improved playmakers. If he can't play better in this setting then they know they need to move on.

In some cases those are backups that weren't even the leading season rushing RB for those teams and thus weren't being paid. For whatever reason they started the Super Bowl those seasons. Just as one example Akers was either a rookie or in his 2nd year and if I remember right he didnt play all season until the playoffs, so of course he didn't take up much cap. But that was recent - 2021. Skewed chart. I think everyone knows that the RB on the cheap thing is pretty recent. Go back and look at the drafts. As recent as: Zeke was the 4th pick in 2016, Fournette was the 4th pick in 2017, Barkley the 2nd pick in 2018. In 2015 two RBs were picked in the top 15. That would never happen right now I don't care if the guy scored 80 touchdowns his senior year in college. In 2021 two RBs were picked in the first round.

What the Panthers needed to do was put playmakers on this offense. And Brooks is a receiving threat as well as a running threat to open things up for Bryce to throw it. I like it.

Back