• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread - One Shining Moment - UConn Huskies

Alright well let’s look at the Kp ranks of the remaining 16 teams before the tournament started:

1-3, 5-13, 15, 21, 35, 58.

Regardless, 12 of the top 13 KP teams entering the tournament are alive still.
We did this last year. Those rankings are probably pretty consistent with the Coaches Poll and AP Rankings. Identifying the top 15 teams apparently didn't require an algorithm.

Sure seemed to be a lot of talk earlier in the thread about how metrics don’t mean anything.

Auburn had not won a close game all season. Every Auburn win this season was by double digits until the SEC tourament when they beat Miss State by 7. So, when they got into a close game, they could not handle it. The Tigers missed a ton of scoring opportunities late. Would've been more fun to see Auburn play UCONN as the Tigers have the horses to possibly be compeitive. Don't think San Diego State does.

I'm begining to believe UConn is inevitable. Ugh, last year's final 4 wasn't watchable, and I didn't watch. This might be the 2nd year in a row where the women's final 4 gets my viewing instead. But I just need Kim Mulkey to head back home asap. And I'd kinda like to see Staley curb stomp Geno, even though I like Buekers.

Last edited:
Auburn had not won a close game all season. Every Auburn win this season was by double digits until the SEC tourament when they beat Miss State by 7. So, when they got into a close game, they could not handle it. The Tigers missed a ton of scoring opportunities late. Would've been more fun to see Auburn play UCONN as the Tigers have the horses to possibly be compeitive. Don't think San Diego State does.
If by your acknowledgment (and you're right), they couldn't handle a close game, I don't think it would have been a fun game vs. UConn.

Should be one of the best sweet sixteens in a long time. The remaining teams in KP rank are:

The broadcast said last night it’s only the 5th time in the 64 team field that all 1 and 2 seeds made sweet sixteen, which is kind of crazy

Maybe. But they vote largely on wins and losses from week to week, i.e. drop teams that lost, move teams up that beat ranked teams. As we know, KenPom is famously not based on those things.
Right. Another reason computer rankings are better.

Pretty boring day overall other than the Clemson and Houston games. Ended up watching more golf in the early mid afternoon with Cam in the mix. It's strange to see Clemson suddenly revert to their Nov-Dec form after sleepwalking through the ACC regular season. But good for them. And while I hate the BE on general principal, it's great to see Shaka back in the sweet 16 after those tough years at Texas. I hope they utterly destroy State.
Alabama and Grand Canyon was awesome.

C'ville just likes to complain. His UVA assessment was loud right. His assessment of the rest of the ACC was loud wrong.

C'ville just likes to complain. His UVA assessment was loud right. His assessment of the rest of the ACC was loud wrong.
Thanks for the UVA acknowledgement. As for the ACC as a whole, we still only got 4 teams in, but they have done great thus far. Trouble is 3 of the 4 I despise. And I acknowledge I have complained a lot this year. But a lot of that is because 4 of the teams I like to root for in Wake, UVA, VT and Miami significantly underachieved. Other problem we had as a conference was FSU and ND sucking massively in Nov-Dec and then getting competitive in conference play. But with Louvul getting a new coach, Earl Grant keeping BC competitive and ND improving under Shrewsberry, I'm a tad hopeful for the future. The problem now from my perspective is Forbes and Young can't get over the hump, and Tony is resting on his laurels. And I'm anxious to see what those 3 squads look like going into next year.

I think the ACC's only real argument for "should have been in" is Pittsburgh. Their OOC SOS was bad, but that's baked into the numbers already as far as NET and metrics are concerned. Wake had plenty of opportunities to secure a couple more quality wins and we just failed to do so.

Next year is make or break for Forbes IMO

Why do you refer to all coaches by last name except Tony
My apologies. Probably because everyone around here refers to him as Tony. One of those unconscious things. But I'll try to consciously change that.

Numbers, I agree completely. I think the committee did a pretty good job except in UVA's case, and I think their inclusion and seeding over the last few years has been largely influenced by their natty, but I think that changes moving forward. And I'm still hopeful for Forbes and Young. They've both brought in some decent talent. Problem with Young is they just shoot themselves into and out of too many games. As for Forbes, he's hit the portal great and is now beginning to bring in a big recruit or 2. My main issue with his teams have been they're not as good on the defensive end as they could be. I'd like to see him bring in a defensive assistant and run the packline.

Metrics shmetrics. Don't mean a fuckin thing for getting into the tourney, should be banned on our bubble talk next year. We were great metrics all year and never meant a damn thing.

If you wanna point and say they do show good teams etc, fine, but don't tell me it gets you into the tourney. Wins and losses get you in or out. Period.

Back