• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker | Spring Transfer Portal Open

Pitt just signed the blue chip freshman QB transfer from Bama. I really can’t help but feel like Clawson is getting boatraced in the portal this year.
Hey screw you Pitt and. NC State, with your transfers from Alabama and Ohio State etc.

We are getting diamonds in the rough from Kent State, Georgetown, Villanova, some D-III school in New Hampshire, the College of Notre Dame and Tuskegee.

And we've got a close watch on California University of Pennsylvania, IUPUI, the College of the South and Hobart William Jefferson College.

You need to settle down.

Hey screw you Pitt and. NC State, with your transfers from Alabama and Ohio State etc.

We are getting diamonds in the rough from Kent State, Georgetown, Villanova, some D-III school in New Hampshire, the College of Notre Dame and Navy.

You need to settle down.

TJDK

Has anyone been to Louisville, is it a nice campus, are the facilities new, because their work in the portal is impressive. They are getting players from Alabama and Harvard, FCS contributors and FBS starters and backups. I understand they have a lot of turnover, but 22 guys coming in is something.

Has anyone been to Louisville, is it a nice campus, are the facilities new, because their work in the portal is impressive. They are getting players from Alabama and Harvard, FCS contributors and FBS starters and backups. I understand they have a lot of turnover, but 22 guys coming in is something.
It's also a lot easier to take anybody and everybody academically. Also, helps that Brohmn is a really good coach and really seemed to overachieve in year one, easy sell.

It's also a lot easier to take anybody and everybody academically. Also, helps that Brohmn is a really good coach and really seemed to overachieve in year one, easy sell.
The anybody any everybody argument would make more sense if they weren't also getting guys from Harvard and Yale, as well as Alabama, A&M, Oklahoma, and Ohio State. For each player they brought in, they had to beat someone else out, and they aren't the only school with less than rigorous admission standards. So they are out recruiting a bunch of teams. Brohm's success with the portal last year may be what led to him taking less than a full high school recruiting class. It will be interesting to see if Louisville focuses more on the portal more during Brohm's tenure, than on high school.

The anybody any everybody argument would make more sense if they weren't also getting guys from Harvard and Yale, as well as Alabama, A&M, Oklahoma, and Ohio State. For each player they brought in, they had to beat someone else out, and they aren't the only school with less than rigorous admission standards. So they are out recruiting a bunch of teams. Brohm's success with the portal last year may be what led to him taking less than a full high school recruiting class. It will be interesting to see if Louisville focuses more on the portal more during Brohm's tenure, than on high school.
That is true, but reality is, we're at a disadvantage when it comes to NIL. We are going to get beat out on a lot of players when it comes to dollars. I think you're going to see, already seeing it, teams success is going to be dictated as much or more what they do with the portal, than High School recruiting. Whether you like it or not, college football has changed a lot in just the past few years and I don't think those changes help us at all.

I don’t think we can say Clawson is getting beat out due to NIL. We don’t even know if he’s getting beaten out. We do know he’s very selective about the portal and still believes in a developmental model based on recruiting out of high school.

And I think it’s too soon to give up on that model especially as many schools are recruiting fewer high school kids.

I don’t think we can say Clawson is getting beat out due to NIL. We don’t even know if he’s getting beaten out. We do know he’s very selective about the portal and still believes in a developmental model based on recruiting out of high school.

And I think it’s too soon to give up on that model especially as many schools are recruiting fewer high school kids.
I do think that last bit is interesting. Theoretically, there should be more higher rated HS players available if the average incoming HS class size starts to shrink.

Clawson has done really well in the portal historically we’ve hit on a lot more players than misses. If you think we’ll all of the sudden recruit the portal with more fanfare than we are capable of with NSD then you’re probably being unrealistic.

Sounds like the Dabo model. The Clemson fan base is losing its collective mind over his unwillingness to utilize the portal to any significant degree. Clemson may have one or two portal guys next year.

Last edited:

No, we don't know that for sure, but is there anyway we can say with a straight face that we can outbid many other FBS programs when it comes to dollars.

I do think that last bit is interesting. Theoretically, there should be more higher rated HS players available if the average incoming HS class size starts to shrink.
I don't think the math works out that way. Just that some of the spots for HS players aren't where they used to be. For every player who comes out of the portal and signs with a school there is an empty scholarship he gave up somewhere else.

If you believe the numbers that a significant number of guys in the portal don't get a scholarship anywhere, who fills those slots. About 1.3 guys go in the portal for every guy who comes out of the portal and signs somewhere.

I'm guessing that more of the vacancies are at FCS and D2 schools. Possibly at G5 schools. I would guess P5 schools are net takers from the portal. P5 bluebloods are still taking the same numbers of 5 and 4 star guys. Probably fewer 3 star guys. The pool of 3 star HS guys is probably a little richer. But 4 and 5 star HS guys are pretty much going where they always go.

I don't think the math works out that way. Just that some of the spots for HS players aren't where they used to be. For every player who comes out of the portal and signs with a school there is an empty scholarship he gave up somewhere else.

If you believe the numbers that a significant number of guys in the portal don't get a scholarship anywhere, who fills those slots. About 1.3 guys go in the portal for every guy who comes out of the portal and signs somewhere.

I'm guessing that more of the vacancies are at FCS and D2 schools. Possibly at G5 schools. I would guess P5 schools are net takers from the portal. P5 bluebloods are still taking the same numbers of 5 and 4 star guys. Probably fewer 3 star guys. The pool of 3 star HS guys is probably a little richer. But 4 and 5 star HS guys are pretty much going where they always go.
There are definitely fewer spots for HS recruits among Power V conferences. There is pressure on Power V conferences to win right away; so, more ships are being devoted to portal candidates than HS recruits. Yes, this results in more openings for HS kids at G5, FCS and D2 schools. This is like the money-ball concept. With fewer ships devoted to HS recruits, if a school is willing to be patient, there are more quality HS recruits available than ever before. This may partially explain why WF 2024 HS recruiting class is its highest ever rated class.

Right. Clawson relies on finding players overlooked by some of the bigger programs. Now those programs may not be recruiting out of HS as much so there are more overlooked players. Of course, the challenge is keeping those players (like Banks and Williams) from transferring to bigger programs years later.

Right. Clawson relies on finding players overlooked by some of the bigger programs. Now those programs may not be recruiting out of HS as much so there are more overlooked players. Of course, the challenge is keeping those players (like Banks and Williams) from transferring to bigger programs years later.
Yeah, if you’re not careful you become a “minor league developmental team” for the bigger programs. I think the key for us is going to be to identify the guys we really need the most every year and do whatever we can to keep them. We’re going to lose some guys, but you can keep 75-80% of your key guys every year, that would probably be pretty good.

Back