• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023-24 NBA Season Thread - Celtics advance, T-Wolves survive for now

I mean it was worse than usual. The only interesting thing all weekend was Steph and Sabrina. I know we've talked about this before, but I think the only way to make the game interesting is to make it US v. world. I think that's the only way you'd get their competitive juices flowing.
The team skills competition and regular 3-point contest were actually pretty entertaining as well.

The Celebrity Game and Rising Stars Game were interesting too. Parsons, Nacua, and Stroud were pretty good and went all out. Alondes led the G-Leaguers to a upset over Wemby’s squad.

Only one All-Star was on last season's All-Defense Team and people wonder why there's no defense in the All-Star Game. Pick players based on their defensive ability and there might be more defense. Picking KAT over Gobert was a joke.

I’m not sure how to duplicate what happened with the 2020 All-Star Game. Maybe it was the first Elam ending. Maybe it was to honor Kobe shortly after his death. Maybe the last four years are post-COVID quiet quitting. I don’t know.
I do think choosing offensive guy over defensive plays a part. Gobert instead of KAT is a prime example

Great quote from Ant:

It’s a break. Don’t call it the All-Star Break and expect an all out effort especially when games resume on Thursday. That’s only really two days off.

https://theathletic.com/5284950/202...-scoring-reaction/?source=user_shared_article No defense for what NBA All-Stars intentionally did to the record books

Also I do not understand the 8:45 tip. 6:40 works for the Super Bowl a week earlier. Why not do the same for the All-Star Game?
Also the schedule these guys keep on All Star Weekend is crazy. Photo shoots, community service, meet and greets, throw the parties on top of that and it’s no wonder they don’t care to play

I love both, but Luka and Jokic are never going to try in an all-star game.
I generally agree but think an International vs US game is the best chance you have to get those two guys to take it seriously

I think the bigger issue is those two guys see basketball as a job more than some love of the game. So the moment they see other guys not caring, they shut down

But they are both competitive enough that if other guys care and it’s world vs USA, I think we get some fight out of them

Also the schedule these guys keep on All Star Weekend is crazy. Photo shoots, community service, meet and greets, throw the parties on top of that and it’s no wonder they don’t care to play
Right. The ASG is at the end of 3-4 days of events before they finally get a few days off. The actual game is like 4:30 on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

I agree with Nick Wright. The media to a large degree and the fans to a lesser degree have reached a point where all that's discussed about a player is has he won a ring. It's why the players only chase that now and don't care about the All Star game, or the regular season to the point we now do effing BS load management. Nothing matters in terms of your reputation as a player except how many rings you have. It's true in all sports and it's so media driven. In golf, you aren't even considered a human being unless you've won a major and it's just silly. It's costing the PGA Tour big time. And in sports like the NBA it's just all about getting that ring, which is dependent on so many factors. So why run up and down the court in the All Star game when nothing matters at all in terms of how your career is viewed but what you do in the playoffs?

That has something to do with it as well.

JJ Redick calls out Doc. Pat Beverley calls out JJ Redick. The podcaster era is a juicy one at least.

It’s really astounding that nobody can get Doc to shut the fuck up with a mic in front of him. I remember watching him live throwing Ben Simmons under the bus after losing to the Hawks and thinking “how does this guy not know what a coach is supposed to say here?” and he’s only gotten worse. Garnett Pierce Allen and Rondo should be taking a cut at this point

And Austin Rivers clapped back on ESPN later in the day! #ThisLeague

Austin Rivers is sitting in a studio just like JJ who is 8 years older and had a full career without his Daddy's help.

Oh it was horrible. I guess his logic was Doc doesn't make excuses because he gets fired in the end.

I don't care when you start coaching them. He has an arguably top 3 player in Giannis. One of the greatest shooters of all time in Dame. Brook Lopez who somehow transformed himself into a good stretch big. And he's got Middleton who still has something left in the tank. And he's got several other good players around him. It's one of the best situations in the league and he lucked into it.

Last edited:
Oh it was horrible. I guess his logic was Doc doesn't make excuses because he gets fired in the end.

I don't care when you start coaching them. He has an arguably top 3 player in Giannis. One of the greatest shooters of all time in Dame. Brook Lopez who somehow transformed himself into a good stretch big. And he's got Middleton who still has something left in the tank. And he's got several other good players around him. It's one of the best situations in the league and lucked into it.
well, yeah but they hired him a little too early

We should probably should talk about the Nets firing Jacque Vaughn.

Bucks playing the long con here. Hire Doc, pay JJ to talk smack about him on TV, sign Pat Bev and get him to defend Doc, team bonds and rallies around Doc with an us against the world mentality, win championship. Definitely gonna work out.

Interesting note about the Kenny Smith comments that Ionescu should have shot from the WNBA line:

Over 57% of her shots last season were from beyond NBA range (24+ ft) and she made 118-264 (44.7%) of them. So yeah, she was just fine shooting from the NBA line. She was 6-12 from 30-34 ft as well.

Back