• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023-24 NBA Season Thread - Game 3 Tripleheader on ESPN at 5:30

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
The NBA and WNBA have conquered the pro sports landscape by making sure we never have to go more than a few days without professional basketball. The Las Vegas Aces won the WNBA Finals 3-1 just four nights ago and here we are getting ready for the season to tip.

As usual, there are plenty of lingering questions to answer this season and several have to do with KD, Harden, and the Sixers.

How will the newest big three of KD, Booker, and Beal fare in the stronger Western Conference?

Will Harden ever play for Daryl Morey again? Is Harden yet another future Clipper?

Can Embiid maintain MVP form and do it for 65+ games to meet the new awards standard?

Will the current Clippers, especially Kawhi and PG remain healthy top-tier talents?

Will the reigning champion Nuggets stay at the top of the West and can Jokic stay at the top of his game? Can Jamal Murray or even Aaron Gordon make their first All-Star game? Will the young talent adequately replace Bruce Brown and other vets from last year's team?

Will the Bucks' or Celtics' improvements on paper manifest over 82 games AND into the NBA Finals?

Who will emerge from the next tier of the Eastern Conference? The Knicks? The Cavs? The Nets? Does the regular season even matter to the Heat?

Will Lebron ever truly decline? Can the Lakers stay healthy and contend for the top of the West?

Will the Warriors core decline? Does CP3 come off the bench?

Will the Thunder, T-Wolves, Jazz, or Pelicans make the leap? Or could Wemby, Scoot, or the Rockets mix of youth and vets vaunt them into playoff contention?

More important than any of those questions: Will Miles Bridges stay out of jail? Will the Black Adam Morrison skirt his wrongful death lawsuit and actually learn how to make a 3? Will LaMelo and Gordon Hayward stay healthy?

Answering Buckets question from last year's thread, do I think Mark Williams will have a better career than Jalen Duren? It depends how you define better career, but I do think Mark Williams will be the cause of more wins than Jalen Duren. In other words, the Hornets will win more games with Williams than they would have with Duren. Duren's individual stats may be better simply because it is easier to quantify rebounds than defense, but the Hornets kept the right guy for what they needed. And they couldn't have kept both at the same position.

More important than any of those questions: Will Miles Bridges stay out of jail? Will the Black Adam Morrison skirt his wrongful death lawsuit and actually learn how to make a 3? Will LaMelo and Gordon Hayward stay healthy?

Answering Buckets question from last year's thread, do I think Mark Williams will have a better career than Jalen Duren? It depends how you define better career, but I do think Mark Williams will be the cause of more wins than Jalen Duren. In other words, the Hornets will win more games with Williams than they would have with Duren. Duren's individual stats may be better simply because it is easier to quantify rebounds than defense, but the Hornets kept the right guy for what they needed. And they couldn't have kept both at the same position.
Will be monitoring this space

My Spurs have the Hornets lottery protected pick this year or next so I’m rooting for the Hornets.

This is a lot of money.

Yes. Pre-incentives I think. The T-Wolves now have KAT, Gobert, Reid, and McDaniels locked up in long-term deals. Next season, the T-Wolves will have $142M tied up in four bigs.

Last season's stats:
McDaniels - 12.1/3.9/1.9 52/40/74 in 79 games
Vassell - 18.5/3.9/3.6 44/39/78 in 38 games

well I guess Giannis liked the Dame trade

Thanasty is a valuable member of the team

Man these superstar contracts are reaching eyewatering levels 😳

Just like staggering amounts of money. Same thing with these QBs getting $50MM+ a year just an insane amount.

Compared to the valuation of the franchise?

ETA: the idea that franchises can appreciate and costs can inflate, but salaries have to stagnate might make sense when you’re exploiting a white collar work force, but doesn’t really track in sports imo

Let’s goooo I’m ready for some bball. Got cable this year with my place so YouTube TV isn’t gonna get my sub, but I gotta find a tv

Compared to the valuation of the franchise?

ETA: the idea that franchises can appreciate and costs can inflate, but salaries have to stagnate might make sense when you’re exploiting a white collar work force, but doesn’t really track in sports imo

Dude it’s not a commentary or analysis of any kind my response was literally just wow that’s a wild amount of money.

Back