• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023-24 NBA Season Thread - Pivotal Game 5; Celtics advance to 6th ECF in 8 years

i'm a big time supporter of Team Foul Up Three but Maxey put that ball up from so far away and with enough time on the clock that I'm not holding that one against the Knicks

(I'm also not convinced Mitchell Robinson actually fouled him on the four-point play)
Looked like he nicked him a tad, but the contact was marginal.

and Maxey leaned into it, more or less initiating the contact

i'm happy about the drama it created, but all else equal i prefer that kind of play to be a no-call

Apetit, first thanks for posting. I had many thoughts, then decided I should watch first, and then admittedly only got through half of the vid because it was only confirming some of my frustrations. So feel free to point me back to video for stuff I might have missed

Not saying this is you, because you watch a lot of basketball, but

1. I feel like people who just say they take turns running the offense don’t really watch Mavs games. I think it was certainly true last year when they were feeling themselves out post trade. But I think the offense is way more dynamic than taking turns at this point. They have worked far more into the offense to get all involved while also making sure both get their touches

2. He brought up the plus minus with Luka on and off the floor. To me that is easily understood by the fact that the Mavs have never had a great team around Luka. They would be a lotto team without him. The video states the on off stats show how great players make good teams great. The problem is Luka makes bad teams good/great. This is different if his team was great. (And I haven’t heard anyone argue that this current Mavs team isn’t the best roster Luka has had)

3. The heliocentric thing to me is a tired argument. Mostly again because of the roster. Luka isn’t heliocentric on his national team where there are guys that fit a specific style of play. Furthermore Lukas heliocentric style has gone down since the Mavs added other players who can actually dribble or not just stand somewhere and shoot. Mavs WCF run always had 2 ball handlers on the floor for this reason and this current roster is similar

(I think this is also highlighted by Mavs being top 10 in pace this year after bottom of NBA last few years. They actually have athletes and guys who can dribble now)

4. Luka is also the most blitzed player in the NBA. Which means he puts up his numbers in spite of that. And this also proves teams often dare the rest of the Mavs to beat them, which they often do not without Luka’s brilliance

5. Finally and most importantly Luka has definite faults. And this is part of what drives me craziest about this videos argument. Luka to me is bubble Jokic. Luka has to decide if he wants to commit to being a respectable two way player, to being in peak athletic shape, and if he wants to commit to basketball as a job and not just something he has fun with. Jokic turned himself and the Nuggets around when he did this. Luka and the Mavs are a much better team when Luka takes defense and his physical shape seriously, when he doesn’t waste possessions whining or catching his breath.

honestly i watch way more videos about basketball than actually watching basketball itself, so a few games this playoffs is pretty much all i've seen of the mavs so far. also i watched the thinking bball video when it first came out so don't remember all the deets.

that said, the little i saw this past week still seems somewhat aligned -- luka is amazing when he is leading the offense but despite being a solid shooter seems below-average when he isn't. and imo the mavs spend too many possessions when he is on the floor having someone else (kyrie) run the offense. i think the mavs offense would be better with luka running the offense every play barring a significant 1:1 mismatch elsewhere (you could use PPP to conceptually illustrate this). to me, the logical conlcusion is to play luka fewer minutes so he can go all-out during those minutes vs. having to conserve energy by taking plays off and catching his breath on defense like you said. i actually think heliocentric is an effective way to play, it goes wrong when you have players taking turns doing it.

good video -- i'll check out more of the series

crazy that curry is so good on the graph while also being a weak eye-test individual defender

definitely helps he played with some elite team defenders for so many years

i think i've shared it before, but this is my favorite one:

i occasionally watch this other channel and i think he has some malcolm gladwell pop-science tendencies, but i did find this interesting:

yeah i think i watched the russell one when you posted it and i didn't like the conclusion because boston is lame
there has been so much energy spent by celtics fans explaining why russell is better than wilt

The John Stewart face after maxey celebrated at the end was great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AA1nXr4A.img

🎵hit that pose, take that flick 🎶
That one pisses me off more than the rest. So you take a picture, then make it completely bogus by doctoring it so you can post it and look cool. No, you didn't actual throw your baby 12 feet in the air on the beach. And no, you didn't actually levitate off the ground in some sort of office building plaza. Stop acting like you did just for social media, you fucking loser, you are perpetuating the downfall of society.

I never knew the story behind the Twyman-Stokes teammate of the year award.

these playoffs feel like a shift into the next generation of nba stars

Yeah. The Team USA that got announced just two weeks ago looks really old now. And Kerr telling Ant to come off the bench looks dumb.

At least the old guys will get some rest and some of the international stars may be tired leading up to the Olympics like that SGA-Murray Canada backcourt.

Yeah. The Team USA that got announced just two weeks ago looks really old now. And Kerr telling Ant to come off the bench looks dumb.

At least the old guys will get some rest and some of the international stars may be tired leading up to the Olympics like that SGA-Murray Canada backcourt.
Ant about to go full MJ in their practices

Back