• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023-24 NBA Season Thread - Pivotal Game 5; Celtics advance to 6th ECF in 8 years

Yeah. The Team USA that got announced just two weeks ago looks really old now. And Kerr telling Ant to come off the bench looks dumb.

At least the old guys will get some rest and some of the international stars may be tired leading up to the Olympics like that SGA-Murray Canada backcourt.
Yep. Feels like the roster was picked more lifetime achievement than winning the 2024 Gold. That's how you don't win the Gold.

Got to believe that Kawhi is going to be replaced.

i will not acknowledge that this ymca-ass award is corny simply because they awarded it to the best non-big defender in the league

might as well call it the gym rat award, or "best white american guard" award

my goodness, alex caruso and tj mcconnell have split the nba hustle award for 10 years in a row!

Yeah. The Team USA that got announced just two weeks ago looks really old now. And Kerr telling Ant to come off the bench looks dumb.

At least the old guys will get some rest and some of the international stars may be tired leading up to the Olympics like that SGA-Murray Canada backcourt.
I mean, I'll take Curry/Edwards with Booker/Haliburton coming off the bench over any other set of guards in the world. And if Lebron/Durant falter (and I doubt they will) Tatum/Leonard replacement (Banchero? Brown? Bridges?) is a pretty damn good fill in.

The only real concern is Embiid dropping and having to rely on Adebayo/Davis/? at center.

Yeah. They were good for that Lakers team. But perhaps most importantly, Giannis and Jokic weren't quite ready and the Warriors basically took a season off.

It wasn't that Jokic wasn't ready, Denver's roster wasn't ready. Murray was good, but they weren't winning the title with a rookie Porter, Gary Harris, Will Barton and Jerami Grant.

my recollection is that Jerami Grant made himself a lot of money that playoffs

Yeah, but Gordon is a pretty big upgrade over Grant, especially when it comes to playing with Jokic. And KCP/Will Barton is no contest.

the following year, the lakers were the best team in the league and huge title favorites midway through the season when lebron and AD both got injured and they ended up as the 7th seed. they were the favorites to make the finals anyway and looked like they were gonna beat the suns (who eventually did make it) until AD got hurt again.

to a degree, you gotta assume he's gonna get injured, but i still think that was one of the worst offseason of all-time (highlighted by the awful westbrook deal). not sure how much of that blame falls on LeGM.

the following year, the lakers were the best team in the league and huge title favorites midway through the season when lebron and AD both got injured and they ended up as the 7th seed. they were the favorites to make the finals anyway and looked like they were gonna beat the suns (who eventually did make it) until AD got hurt again.

to a degree, you gotta assume he's gonna get injured, but i still think that was one of the worst offseason of all-time (highlighted by the awful westbrook deal). not sure how much of that blame falls on LeGM.
Took me a few minutes

The Lakers were working from a Big 3 mentality, so they pushed their complementary players out for Westbrook. Perhaps the new standard is a Big 1 + 3 players who range from high level role player to All-Star or borderline All-Star. Jokic + Murray/MPJ/Gordon and Giannis + Jrue/Middleton/Lopez fit that description. That's a more attainable framework provided teams can solidify the rest of the rotation.

and to that end, i think some nerds would argue that jaylen brown might only be the celtics 5th "best" player (after holiday, porzingis and especially nerd-favorite derrick white)

Back