• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread - Wemby for ROY and DPOY?

Holy shit what a sequence at the end!

That euro step was textbook Ginobli. A thing of beauty.

I want to see a lot more of Graham.

The Spurs are 3-1 when Graham plays 21+ minutes. The only loss was in OT to the Sixers. Seeing Graham go off in person last week was a revelation. He brings so much veteran confidence to the floor. He takes some bad shots, but the last two weeks make me mad that he didn't play more bench minutes this season.

It seems like there were games this season in which, based on matchups and available personnel, he could have played a lot more minutes. He's on contract for another season. If they don't get any trade offers, he should be on the roster.

They've got to resign Mamu. Dude looks like the future at backup 4. That rebound tip pass to Wemby was special.

Wemby was incredible here. Down 23 and he scored 17 points in 3 minutes.

Last edited:
Wemby has been doing Wemby things all year so you would think we would be used to it by now. Im not.
Im all for Mamu as the first backup 4

I can’t wait to see who they pair with him through the draft and free agency. Totally a generational player if he can stay healthy.

A joy to watch…still should be a PF, a la Nowizki! (Not sure I spelled right)

Mamu highlights. The pass at 0:48 was so heady.

Vassell and Sochan out for the season.

Barlow and Keldon are out Tuesday vs. the Nuggets.

I hope they finally give Cissoko some run.

Addition: Just saw that Sochan may miss the Olympics. Keeping that in mind, I wouldn't be shocked if they sat Wemby soon. This Olympics will be huge for him and maybe the franchise. He may want to hit some metrics like 1500 points (1397), 700 rebounds (691), 250 asts (240), 250 blks (226), 100 steals (85), and 125 threes (113) and he's a few games away.

The Spurs finished 7-4 including wins over the Suns, Knicks, Pelicans, and Nuggets. Not a bad way to end a tough season.

A lot of guys played against the Pistons today. I imagine the bench except Graham will be on the Summer League roster in three months. Cissoko had 7/4/5/3/2.

Last edited:
Spurs looked good with Wemby and Cissoko in there together against the Nuggets.

Wemby getting ready for Olympics, and France is going to have a squad.

I kinda dig the Trae Young to the Spurs theoretical

I'm back and forth.

I'd take it. wemby and sochan could cover a lot of defensive lapses, but I'm not sold on it.

It would also depend on the price. He's not worth giving back a huge haul of assets.

I wouldn't want Trae Young near my team. I don't think he's a guy at this point in his career with whom you can win a championship. He's James Harden light.

If it wouldnt cost so much trade capital it would be ok. But it would empty the Spurs’ draft coffers so no thanks. There are better options to be had at a better price

The biggest problem with the Trae deal is the Spurs would more than likely have to give up the 2025 and 2027 picks. Those are the last picks I'd want them to trade.

The rumors now are that the Spurs won't make any big moves until after the 2025 draft. I kind of get it. They have 2-6 first round picks and 4 second-round picks in the next two drafts. They'd get another year to see how Wemby's game develops before making a big move. I saw a YouTube video a few days ago that made a solid case of why making a dramatic move to support your young big man doesn't typically work as opposed to building through the draft. Whether I trust the front office that gave us Luka Samanic and Josh Primo to draft well is another issue, but I get it.

The problem is they have to do something to consolidate the roster and/or trade picks because they don't have room for all those picks on a roster + two-way contracts. That's why I want them to trade Johnson, Collins, and some picks for a starting wing. Then Johnson's minutes can go to Champagne/Cissoko and Collins minutes (which should be significantly less without a Wemby minutes restriction) to go to Barlow/Bassey and Sandro who can play quality minutes at the 4 and 5.

Other than that, the only option is trading these 2024 and 2025 picks for future picks.

Has there ever been a postmortem about the Samanic and Primo picks?

I haven't seen much from the Spurs front office about them even when they were cut. The Spurs gave up on Samanic but still felt Primo was part of the future core.

The Spurs have drafted mostly SGs and PFs from 2018-22:

2018: SG Lonnie Walker, PF Chimezie Metu
2019: PF Luka Samanic, wing Keldon Johnson, SG Quinndary Weatherspoon
2020: SG Devin Vassell, PG Tre Jones
2021: SG Josh Primo, SG Joe Wieskamp
2022: PF Jeremy Sochan, SG Maliki Branham, SG Blake Wesley

Samanic seemed (maybe still seems) to have high upside as a modern 4. They seemed to want to turn Primo into a combo guard.

As far as the others, Sochan could be a playmaking wing. But the SGs seem limited to a position that doesn't really exist. The Spurs took Branham over Christian Braun who is bigger and plays bigger than Branham in the same role.

Thankfully they had to take Wemby and Cissoko projects as a wing with nice size and athleticism. The top of this year's draft doesn't seem to have any SGs, so that should help too.

Last edited:
The latest rumors are that the Spurs aren't interested in Trae Young but might be interested in CP.

Yeah. I think the Spurs could get 60 games/starts and 25-30 mpg from him. Wemby would be a great PnR partner and lob threat. I like signing CP as a free agent over most of the likely trade options. It would also give them the option of taking two big wings if they get the Raptors pick instead of being forced to take a PG.

Has Sochan's body type changed much since he was drafted? I remember thinking he would be a more explosive athlete.

Back