• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

I bet we have a commitment by EOD to go along with some other good vibes/scoop on another one
1T5A2123_V2.gif

And that's why he's Creamy Goodness. Best scoops in the biz.

I'm certainly not outraged at Carr's choice, I just find it a bit strange. He seemed to be pretty genuine in his desire to play back closer to home/play for his childhood team in Villanova. Considering they ended up among his final choices, the interest there was clearly mutual. And Villanova certainly has deep enough NIL to pay him something similar as to what UK paid him, so money probably wasn't what swayed him.

Only thing I can think of is that he decided that he didn't think Villanova would be any good this year and he decided that winning was more important to him. It's honestly hard to fault him for that, as he was at Wake for two years and didn't win anything here.

If your goal is to win you don’t go to a first year coach who is currently building an entire roster. I’m sure they will be ok at a minimum but it’s not a guarantee.

The timing is strange. Looking back on the sequence of events and the suddenness of it, it sure feels like Kentucky was the one who got him into the portal after Pope got the job. I’m not sure the Villanova/hometown stuff was ever real.

Carr is a graduate. He has his degree. In that sense, he is one of us. I hope Kentucky is paying him a ton of money. I hope Miller is getting well-paid by SMU oil money.
This may well be their chance for the biggest pay-day of their lives. I don't begrudge them that anymore than I did RoRo, CP3, Teague, etc, etc who left to play at a different level of professional basketball.

We are in an era of professional college basketball where teams are rented year to year and the name of the school on the uniform means little or nothing to the person wearing it.

Appreciate Carr's play the last couple of years. Sorry, we couldn't get to the. NCAA tournament had some things to go against us. bottom line is I think our roster can be much better next year than it was this year

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

There is no loyalty in sports so I'm not going to get all faux outraged that a guy that traded up from Delaware to Wake Forest then traded up from Wake Forest to Kentucky.

Good luck to Carr there and thanks for the 2 years.

Part of this might be because this trading up mentality is so prevalent in your favorite sport that you've grown immune to it. But the beauty of college sports used to be that you could find diamonds in the rough and they would not trade up. You could watch them develop and grow and your team could punch above its relative stature (for example, Davidson with Steph or us with Timmy).

Unfortunately, that ship seems to have not just sailed, but been sunken and the wreck plundered at the bottom of the harbor.

Part of this might be because this trading up mentality is so prevalent in your favorite sport that you've grown immune to it. But the beauty of college sports used to be that you could find diamonds in the rough and they would not trade up. You could watch them develop and grow and your team could punch above its relative stature (for example, Davidson with Steph or us with Timmy).

Unfortunately, that ship seems to have not just sailed, but been sunken and the wreck plundered at the bottom of the harbor.

yeah

the response to that is, don't hate the player, hate the game

Yeah I'm not biting on the vitriol for these guys. It's like folks want to shoehorn the situation into either traditional college transfer hate (disloyalty), or professional athlete snobbery (only care about the money). The reality is the first thing doesn't exist anymore thanks to NIL and transfer rules, and the 2nd thing is a new category where tons of players have just a 1 or 2 year window to likely earn the biggest paycheck of their basketball careers, and maybe their lives. Nobody would apply this litmus test to their own professional careers, nor is it even that easy to imagine how quickly the fundamentals of all of this changed on these guys.

If Carr was set for Wake then the Pope thing happens and he's like, "actually it'd be fun to play a year for Kentucky while doubling (or whatever) my salary" I don't blame him in the slightest. If you're a good college player but tagged as "will never even sniff being drafted, ever" like Boopie and Carr are, I just can't find a lot of judgment to lay on them. If the next step is grinding it out for $100k in Greece or Turkey, that's no easy road.

I'll save all of my bitterness for the NCAA who ruined the game I love.

Agree with DC. Good for Carr. He's making the best of what the system presented to him, plus he got his degree from Wake. I don't think you can look at it any other way now. Doesn't mean you have to like it, but the students didn't create this mess.

I would love to see the statistics at the end of this season on the number of Seniors who actually have a proper senior night (same school for all 4 years). Makes you realize how much of a gem Killa Cam is : )

Back