• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

have a hard time feeling any sympathy for the folks upset about lack of loyalty from guys like Carr and Boopie

Deacs are trading in the exact same stuff as Kentucky here, picking up both these guys from smaller programs they used as a stepping stone, including CMU who sat with Boopie for a year of rehab

Yeah I'm not biting on the vitriol for these guys. It's like folks want to shoehorn the situation into either traditional college transfer hate (disloyalty), or professional athlete snobbery (only care about the money). The reality is the first thing doesn't exist anymore thanks to NIL and transfer rules, and the 2nd thing is a new category where tons of players have just a 1 or 2 year window to likely earn the biggest paycheck of their basketball careers, and maybe their lives. Nobody would apply this litmus test to their own professional careers, nor is it even that easy to imagine how quickly the fundamentals of all of this changed on these guys.

If Carr was set for Wake then the Pope thing happens and he's like, "actually it'd be fun to play a year for Kentucky while doubling (or whatever) my salary" I don't blame him in the slightest. If you're a good college player but tagged as "will never even sniff being drafted, ever" like Boopie and Carr are, I just can't find a lot of judgment to lay on them. If the next step is grinding it out for $100k in Greece or Turkey, that's no easy road.

I'll save all of my bitterness for the NCAA who ruined the game I love.
100% spot on

have a hard time feeling any sympathy for the folks upset about lack of loyalty from guys like Carr and Boopie

Deacs are trading in the exact same stuff as Kentucky here, picking up both these guys from smaller programs they used as a stepping stone, including CMU who sat with Boopie for a year of rehab
Yep. It feels gross but this is college sports right now.

A3hEMa.gif

Did they ask for your sympathy ?

Carr is a graduate. He has his degree. In that sense, he is one of us. I hope Kentucky is paying him a ton of money. I hope Miller is getting well-paid by SMU oil money.
This may well be their chance for the biggest pay-day of their lives. I don't begrudge them that anymore than I did RoRo, CP3, Teague, etc, etc who left to play at a different level of professional basketball.

We are in an era of professional college basketball where teams are rented year to year and the name of the school on the uniform means little or nothing to the person wearing it.
Guys like Carr, who put in the time and effort to complete a degree at Wake I mentally put in a different category from guys who stop by for a year or two. Andrew Carr's bachelor degree will always read "Wake Forest."

Like many, he has decided to go elsewhere for his graduate work. Its a lot easier to wish them well as they pursue their career ambitions via grad studies at another school.

Is it easier to keep international players because they can't get paid NIL without a loophole?

Was curious how long it would take for the smoke around Jakucionis to make its way to ogboards.com premium

Is it easier to keep international players because they can't get paid NIL without a loophole?
The way it’s been explained to me in the past is that they can collect NIL if it’s not from an American company. I believe if the deal is signed outside of American soil they are good but I could be wrong. Maybe RTQ can correct me if I’m wrong. For example, Cam Hildreth can’t do a NIL deal with a local car dealership.

Interesting. Have we ever gotten a player who played in the Nike Hoop Summit?

Yeah I'm not biting on the vitriol for these guys. It's like folks want to shoehorn the situation into either traditional college transfer hate (disloyalty), or professional athlete snobbery (only care about the money). The reality is the first thing doesn't exist anymore thanks to NIL and transfer rules, and the 2nd thing is a new category where tons of players have just a 1 or 2 year window to likely earn the biggest paycheck of their basketball careers, and maybe their lives. Nobody would apply this litmus test to their own professional careers, nor is it even that easy to imagine how quickly the fundamentals of all of this changed on these guys.

If Carr was set for Wake then the Pope thing happens and he's like, "actually it'd be fun to play a year for Kentucky while doubling (or whatever) my salary" I don't blame him in the slightest. If you're a good college player but tagged as "will never even sniff being drafted, ever" like Boopie and Carr are, I just can't find a lot of judgment to lay on them. If the next step is grinding it out for $100k in Greece or Turkey, that's no easy road.

I'll save all of my bitterness for the NCAA who ruined the game I love.

Good post - But why do folks (not just DCDeac as I've seen this accepted as fact by others as well) assume Carr is getting a substantial NIL pay raise from what he was scheduled to make at Wake?

Good post - But why do folks (not just DCDeac as I've seen this accepted as fact by others as well) assume Carr is getting a substantial NIL pay raise from what he was scheduled to make at Wake?
I think this assumption is that going from a starting role in a system that he's familiar with to a team with a new coach and uncertain roster most makes sense with an accompanying payday increase. That may not be the case - he could just want something new, graduated and feels his time at Wake is done, etc. But non-$ factors don't seem to be as apparent with UK like they did with Villanova, other than the name/stigma of playing for a blueblood.

Would Jakucionis be coming in as the likely starting PG? Or is that a high-quality depth option for next year with a similar potential role as Juke?

Would Jakucionis be coming in as the likely starting PG? Or is that a high-quality depth option for next year with a similar potential role as Juke?

He’s probably a level above Juke at a position of need. On some 2025 draft boards and 6’6” point guards in college aren’t too common. TBD if he’s being recruited as THE pg though

Back