• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

Was Wake even in the first four out or next four out either of these years? If you are 8+ teams away from getting one of 36 at-large bids, I'm not sure you can really say that you just barely missed out.

Wake should have made the NCAAT both of those years, they had the talent to do so, yet they didn't.
i thought we were confirmed first four out in 2022

Other schools have successfully overhauled their rosters with portal guys and done quite well. Alabama and NC State immediately come to mind. It remains to be seen if Forbes can follow suit

If Cam or Carr are serious threats to go, then I am not sure what WF can do next.

If we can't outspend other programs and we can't sell a winning culture, then what we can sell is we play a style that showcases your talent to make money somewhere else. Which doesn't actually translate into meaningful wins for our program, but can get some talent in the door.

College sports, yay!
I think a lot of our posters here are counting on our program being able to keep important players over multiple seasons so that Coach Forbes can build up our talent over time into a NCAA tournament level team, but that may just not be possible. If Coach Forbes can’t put together a tournament team in (1) season, then he may not be a good fit for this program. That’s tough, but it might be reality for us.

That's fine. Follow soccer or bird-watching.

WF missed the NCAAT by a bee's dick in 2022 and 2024, and would've been a bubble team in 2023 if Monsanto hadn't been hurt. Sometimes, you got to keep knocking on the door to get in. Understand those who think its hopeless, but also understand those that think things might be different going forward.
Why the FUCK are you throwing shade at bird watching?

Did Carr receive his degree?
Believe Carr is expected to graduate in May. If that is true, there is no portal deadline for him, college grads can transfer whenever they want after they graduate (and before the fall semester starts).

Why the FUCK are you throwing shade at bird watching?

Preach. So about the bird thing. There's a Phoebe nest in the eve beneath the ceiling on my back porch, with at least two baby birds in there. Yesterday afternoon maybe 4-5 Swallows (I assumed Barn Swallows, but I don't know for sure) started flying all through the porch, right over and around our heads. They were clearly interested in that nest, but never went all the way to or in it (but it was definitely a point of interest for them). I'm trying to figure out why. Were they trying to claim the nest (it's in a place where a Swallow nest would look right at home), or something else?

For someone not interested in devoting attention and leisure time to Wake sports, Kent sure appears to spend a lot of time posting about how little he cares on a Wake message board.

When was the last time you made a post with substance or even an opinion about Wake Forest sports?

Preach. So about the bird thing. There's a Phoebe nest in the eve beneath the ceiling on my back porch, with at least two baby birds in there. Yesterday afternoon maybe 4-5 Swallows (I assumed Barn Swallows, but I don't know for sure) started flying all through the porch, right over and around our heads. They were clearly interested in that nest, but never went all the way to or in it (but it was definitely a point of interest for them). I'm trying to figure out why. Were they trying to claim the nest (it's in a place where a Swallow nest would look right at home), or something else?
Barn Swallows were probably checking to see if the nest was in use. I doubt they will fight the phoebes for it, but if it was empty they may have taken over. Barn Swallows have been know to use old nests as their own especially if it is in a good safe spot. Saves them the effort of finding a site and building their own nest.

Because WF will have a ship and the money to find another transfer that is as good or better. That's college basketball these days. You take the circumstances as they are and you find the best options. Our staff has excelled at that. People have to stop thinking of college basketball rosters as anyting other than one year teams. Once the season is over, you build your next team. Sometimes from scratch or close to from scratch.
Has it though? Yes, the staff has brought in several outstanding transfers, including two ACC POYs. But it hasn't brought in enough quality transfers to adequately fill out an ACC roster to make an NCAA tourney or seriously compete for an ACC title. Can it? Maybe. Hard to tell in today's NIL/free transfer NCAA.

All 13 scholarship basketball players could transfer and the Shah facility could burn to the ground and Pilchard would come on here and spin it as an absolute positive for the program.
Sounds like we have a new place for a highly touted on campus arena

I think a lot of our posters here are counting on our program being able to keep important players over multiple seasons so that Coach Forbes can build up our talent over time into a NCAA tournament level team, but that may just not be possible. If Coach Forbes can’t put together a tournament team in (1) season, then he may not be a good fit for this program. That’s tough, but it might be reality for us.

Another way of looking at it would be that Forbes rescued our program from dumpster fire status, then put together 3 teams since the recovery. The Manman team deserved a bid (by any historical measure) but got snubbed. The Appleby team was good but suffered from LaRavia's early exit. This year's team was constructed to have Ituka and Monsanto, lost both plus a big chunk of Cam's production all due to injuries (not to mention the Reid missed games) which cost him another bid.

Just need to keep putting together talented teams. We've seen this year that despite it being unfairly difficult to get into the tourney from the ACC (cough, cough, Pitt), once in you can do plenty of damage. Give me a healthy Monsanto and clear Reid on day one and tell me how healthy our program is.

State a Final Four team with 7 transfers. Horne/Diara/OConnel/Taylor/Middlebrooks all in their first year at NCState I think. Retaining talent can matter, or it doesn't at all. Just keep building rosters that are tournament quality.

I mean, State recruited a team that had to win 5 games in 5 days to make the tourney. Forbes has put together 3 teams that topped out at "maybe we can be one a 9 seed." Not sure if those examples are the winners you think they are.

I'd like to think a coach could do at Wake what Tacy/Odom/Prosser/(sort of) Gaudio did- put together a team capable of being in the top 25 and having no doubt of its NCAAT status on selection sunday.

I recognize the trouble with keeping players in the free transfer/NIL era. But Forbes either has to do a better job of recruiting the portal (as has been said a bunch- had he gotten DJ Horne, we are probably a tourney team), or actually figure out how to retain players.

“Just need to keep putting together teams”

I disagree. Forbes doesn’t need or deserve a decade just to make the tournament, based on positive vibes among a few.

“Just need to keep putting together teams”

I disagree. Forbes doesn’t need or deserve a decade just to make the tournament, based on positive vibes among a few.
Forbes has coached WF for four years. His first year was a COVID disaster and DM leftover shit show. He just missed the NCAAT on two of next three years, and as mentioned above, injuries impacted each of the last two years.

No one has said Forbes is getting a decade to make the tournament. Would be ready to move on if WF was at the bottom of the conference. Who do you want to hire after paying Forbes his eight-figure buyout and who is paying for this new coach?

Back