• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

Not a rhetorical question or sarcasm - Is there a specific word for the type of idealized relationship that people imagine athletes and college students have with their university?

As a generalization, most of us idealized Wake as teenage applicants, then spent 4+ formative years at Wake, then years after that following Wake sports and networking with other Wake grads. All of that adds up to a much much stronger affinity for Wake Forest than a basketball player who chose to transfer to Wake after being recruited by coach Forbes for (2?) months, visiting once or twice, and then spending the vast majority of their Wake time at basketball practice and traveling /playing with a team, of which 75% are also transferring out.

Being straight up, these dudes just don’t have the emotional relationship with Wake that we assume they do. Wake is a convenient place to play basketball and prepare to find a more lucrative opportunity to play basketball elsewhere.

Last edited:
4Zs5.gif

You guys seem to be a lot more confident that Sallis could/would run point if he came back than I am. It kinda feels like we (the boards) are shoehorning him in there bc we believe that getting him run at PG is the only reason he would return. I'm not saying he could never play point, but personally I didn't see it in his game last year.

You guys seem to be a lot more confident that Sallis could/would run point if he came back than I am. It kinda feels like we (the boards) are shoehorning him in there bc we believe that getting him run at PG is the only reason he would return. I'm not saying he could never play point, but personally I didn't see it last year.
I agree with this to some point. I think it is actually more likely that Cam is primary ball handler more than Sallis.

I think what some folks can't make space for is the idea that these players DO have a very strong emotional tie and appreciation for Wake Forest. Then they go somewhere else anyway because they believe it's in their best interest. Both things can be true.

On the Kentucky NIL front, I would think it's not just a bag-in-hand difference (although that might be the case), but the opportunities to make money doing actual NIL things during the year as a Kentucky player. Wake's not going to touch the blue bloods in that regard.

If I recall that was a part of the Hartman deal as well - it wasn't just the cash but the marketability of QB1 at Notre Dame for a year.

I think what some folks can't make space for is the idea that these players DO have a very strong emotional tie and appreciation for Wake Forest. Then they go somewhere else anyway because they believe it's in their best interest. Both things can be true.

On the Kentucky NIL front, I would think it's not just a bag-in-hand difference (although that might be the case), but the opportunities to make money doing actual NIL things during the year as a Kentucky player. Wake's not going to touch the blue bloods in that regard.

If I recall that was a part of the Hartman deal as well - it wasn't just the cash but the marketability of QB1 at Notre Dame for a year.

Still think that Hartman had a better chance of being drafted as Wake's QB with a scheme that he had mastered.

You guys seem to be a lot more confident that Sallis could/would run point if he came back than I am. It kinda feels like we (the boards) are shoehorning him in there bc we believe that getting him run at PG is the only reason he would return. I'm not saying he could never play point, but personally I didn't see it in his game last year.
People think that because we've brought in Spillers and Omaha while still recruiting Baba and/or Power to fill the 3/4 spots, while KJ is the first PG we've even gotten wind of.

VT brought in a guy, Jordan Ivy-Curry, that just reopened his portal recruitment.

That has been my biggest fear in all of this. You have so many roster spots to fill... If you bring in somebody new and one of your other transfers doesn't like it, they can just leave and look for another place to go. I don't think there is anything that binds them to this new school (aside from the actual school portion of it... registering, etc).

VT brought in a guy, Jordan Ivy-Curry, that just reopened his portal recruitment.

That has been my biggest fear in all of this. You have so many roster spots to fill... If you bring in somebody new and one of your other transfers doesn't like it, they can just leave and look for another place to go. I don't think there is anything that binds them to this new school (aside from the actual school portion of it... registering, etc).
that football dude that went bama-iowa-bama seems to be the most extreme example of this

i' sure the collectives are getting smarter about how they structure the funding, but that doesn't really help if you eventually get outbid

Yes, there is no LOI for transfers. So, the commitment isn't binding. The thing is that there are fewer open roster spots then there are players in the portal; so, some players will lose the game of chairs, resulting in risk if you withdraw a commitment.

I think Forbes said he was going to be in Europe this week or next. Spain maybe??

He massively increased his “brand”/exposure, got paid, and then got to choose a pretty ideal NFL landing spot where he’s also getting paid. He seemed to have worked the system to his benefit just fine.

I fail to see where going to ND helped him earn more money long term. Maybe he never would have gotten 1M plus in the NFL but if he kept up his insane stats at wake maybe he would have.

Back