• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

Just make them sign contracts as employees. End the charade and deal with this like every other industry in the nation deals with labor.
Why would a player sign such a contract? The NCAA doesn’t have the authority to require it, and outside a governing body, it would require every athletic department in the country colluding with one another to apply it uniformly.

A program or a school can't unilaterally "make" a player do anything.
Why do NBA players do it?
the NCAA doesn't have the authority within the current system.
Because professional sports have unions which collectively bargain the terms on which teams and players can sign contracts.

Why do NBA players do it?
the NCAA doesn't have the authority within the current system.
NBA players are employees of the NBA and thus sign employment contracts. They also have a labor union that votes on player movement restrictions. All those are reasons why college athletes wouldn’t sign any such agreement.

All the rules and regulations regarding college athlete movement are enforced coercively by the NCAA to maintain participation eligibility for the player and school; Participation is not compensation. The NCAA couldn’t regulate and enforce rules regarding schools paying players without the schools legally acknowledging the athletes as their employees, which would make the NCAA an illegal monopoly.

Last edited:
The RTQ update was something along the lines of “unless he turns pro.“

I can’t blame RTQ for not foreseeing this. This has gotta be the Wild West for these brand new collectives.
Unfortunately, as we all know, things change. RTQ had been given the impression Carr would be signing an NIL deal with RTQ for 24-25 for much of the 23-24 season.

I like both of these guys...Do work Forbes!

He's a college basketball writer based in Spain. All you need to know is in his Twitter bio. Baba Miller is from Spain.
brian-windhorst.jpg

Uh, that Lithuanian PG sounds freaking amazing. Are you shitting me? Do we really have a shot to get that guy??
I believe that is where Forbes is currently. Who knows if it is to lock up a commitment or to try to close the deal but he is overseas until the first of May.

Unfortunately, as we all know, things change. RTQ had been given the impression Carr would be signing an NIL deal with RTQ for 24-25 for much of the 23-24 season.

and then Mark Pope got the UK job on 4/12, and Carr announced he was heading to the portal on 4/15

that's the way the system works, currently

I believe that is where Forbes is currently. Who knows if it is to lock up a commitment or to try to close the deal but he is overseas until the first of May.

And it’s an extremely important time in the roster building schedule, so you’d think it has large implications on the team for next season for him to leave now for multiple days.

This is a golden age to be a college athlete. Can you imagine how much Timmy D would have commanded on the open market as a returning senior in 1996 dollars?

Of course he would have taken the hometown discount and stayed here. In fact I doubt he would have even tested the waters.

What's the current rule on agents? Did I see that Sallis has hired one? Or is that not true. Does that no longer preclude you from returning to school?

I just don't foresee the market staying this healthy every year, but we will see!

NBA players are employees of the NBA and thus sign employment contracts. They also have a labor union that votes on player movement restrictions. All those are reasons why college athletes wouldn’t sign any such agreement.

All the rules and regulations regarding college athlete movement are enforced coercively by the NCAA to maintain participation eligibility for the player and school; Participation is not compensation. The NCAA couldn’t regulate and enforce rules regarding schools paying players without the schools legally acknowledging the athletes as their employees, which would make the NCAA an illegal monopoly.
Sorry, I deleted my post as this isn't the appropriate thread for this discussion IMHO. Appreciate your taking time to respond. Your replies are reasons why the system would be changed to allow for contracts.

Why would it?
Guess so. I just thought that maybe the rules hadn't evolved to that level yet, and that this would be one of the last to catch up to current times.

Agents still carry the 'stigma' of a player's desire to get into full-fledged professionalism, whatever that means anymore.

Guess so. I just thought that maybe the rules hadn't evolved to that level yet, and that this would be one of the last to catch up to current times.

Agents still carry the 'stigma' of a player's desire to get into full-fledged professionalism, whatever that means anymore.

Pretty sure every scholarship player on our team has an agent

Back