• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

I mean, when was the last time we had 2-3 5* players on the same team...I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

Forbes was ahead of the pack on transfers, but it doesn't mean that other coaches haven't caught up or that other colleges have a lot more money to throw at these kids. I am happy with a lot of what he has put together...do i want more, fuck yes! we will see what happens.

I mean, when was the last time we had 2-3 5* players on the same team...I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

Forbes was ahead of the pack on transfers, but it doesn't mean that other coaches haven't caught up or that other colleges have a lot more money to throw at these kids. I am happy with a lot of what he has put together...do i want more, fuck yes! we will see what happens.
y'all don't wanna know who did it last

It's getting to the point here that unless you make the NCAA Tournament, you are dead to a segment of our fanbase. With that bright-line test, everything is so easy to judge. Under that test, Coach Forbes has failed through year 4.

That said, those that actually endured WF basketball from 2011 through the present, must admit the stark difference between the following two things:

• 2011-2020: WF was 80 games under .500 in the ACC and has won an average of 4.7 ACC games a season
  • 2022-24: WF is 8 games over .500 in the ACC and has won an average of 11.1 a season
(note: acknowledging that the 2021 COVID season is omitted and that the ACC now plays 20 conference games a year instead of 18; even so the improvement is real).

As detailed in ATS's post, Forbes ability to work the portal has been the key to this improvement. Feel like the program is close to getting over the NCAA Tournament hump, and this year's portal class may hopefully get us there.
So if the NCAAT isn’t the bar then what’s the point? Might as well play D2 at that point

obviously our coach is working on making the tournament. bringing in worse players isn’t going to facilitate that

So if the NCAAT isn’t the bar then what’s the point? Might as well play D2 at that point
I know you are bored; so, WCD is in the mood to yank some chains. Even so, I will play.

Bar for what? You want WF to fire Forbes? Say that: "since Forbes failed to get WF in the NCAAT by year 4, he should be gone". Apparently, anyone who feels differently passively accepts mediocrity. Right? That WCD's position.

It took Tom Walter seven years to get WF baseball into the NCAA Tournament (and WF baseball was in a better place when Walter was hired, than WF basketball was when Forbes was hired; and there are fewer NCAA D1 baseball programs, and the ACC gets far more baseball bids than it gets basketball bids), and so, I guess you would have fired Walter at least four times by now. With that move, WF would still be waiting for its first CWS in more than sixty years.

I know you are bored; so, WCD is in the mood to yank some chains. Even so, I will play.

Bar for what? You want WF to fire Forbes? Say that: "since Forbes failed to get WF in the NCAAT by year 4, he should be gone". Apparently, anyone who feels differently passively accepts mediocrity. Right? That WCD's position.

It took Tom Walter seven years to get WF baseball into the NCAA Tournament (and WF baseball was in a better place when Walter was hired, than WF basketball was when Forbes was hired; and there are fewer NCAA D1 baseball programs, and the ACC gets far more baseball bids than it gets basketball bids), and so, I guess you would have fired Walter at least four times by now. With that move, WF would still be waiting for its first CWS in more than sixty years.
Because Tom Walter is the only coach that could’ve gotten Wake to Omaha?

No I wouldn’t have fired Forbes after this year. If he doesn’t make it this year then yes…time to move on.

No I wouldn’t have fired Forbes after this year. If he doesn’t make it this year then yes…time to move on.

Genuinely asking, if that is your opinion, what the hell was the point in posting this?:

For all the talk of Forbes being the portal whisperer what good has it done? I don’t get it

Sure makes it seem like you're just trying to troll people, especially because most people agree that Forbes tenure should be reconsidered without a successful season this year.

Well WCD, WF had 8 baseball coaches between Taylor Sanford and Tom Walter, many of whom have been very successful away from WF bseball, and none of them did it. In fact, none came as close as Walter did in 2017, when WF was one extra inning win away from beating eventual national champion Florida and getting to the CWS.

Genuinely asking, if that is your opinion, what the hell was the point in posting this?:

Sure makes it seem like you're just trying to troll people.
I genuinely don’t understand what this staff has shown to think getting players in the portal will translate to success…which I define as making the tournament.

Wake was great in the portal last year and it translated to nothing

Wake was great in the portal last year and it translated to nothing
You've made it clear that you view any non-NCAAT season as the same level of abject failure, regardless of any of the details of the season. I think that's logically not a great way to evaluate a season or a coach, but whatever. I think you've just gotta accept that you're in the minority here in thinking in such black and white terms on this.

Back