• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

The NCAA currently has a “rule” against 6 players on the court, but we could just file a lawsuit and see how it goes.
my HS GF attended a megachurch and it was so big they had their own church bball leagues of just kids at the church, and they had so many kids that her brother's age group had to play 6-on-6 to accommodate everyone.

Can't really blame Forbes. The new rules and structure of college sports is not do our benefit in football and basketball. Programs like ours are farm teams for better programs. Only a handful of teams can pick and pay who they want, and they can get any single one of our players at any time. The only way 99% of college teams were competitive was to recruit smartly and find under the radar guys, develop players, and build teams/experience over time. That is all gone now.
Can’t blame Forbes? Come on. We are picking up players from lesser programs ourselves to make our roster. Last season 80% of our starting lineup came from the portal—Boopie from lesser Cent Michigan. Carr from Delaware. Somehow we got two players from stalwart Gonzaga. This year we have already gotten one from lesser App St.
Just how it usually works.

Totally understand the frustration over Carr's decision (which sucks) or the state of college sports (which REALLY sucks).

But Carr didn't enter the portal for his final season of eligibility because of NIL or lack thereof at RTQ.

Withholding current or future contributions to RTQ only limits Wake's ability to compete in the current hellscape of revenue college sports.
But it doesn’t seem like money is helping us make the tournament. So what’s the point?

Can’t blame Forbes? Come on. We are picking up players from lesser programs ourselves to make our roster. Last season 80% of our starting lineup came from the portal—Boopie from lesser Cent Michigan. Carr from Delaware. Somehow we got two players from stalwart Gonzaga. This year we have already gotten one from lesser App St.

i agree with this, but most programs our size (ACC) are able to retain their starters and it is the bench players that leave. i would be interested in how many programs in the big 4-5 conferences have lost 40% of their starters to the portal (not draft). this would also not include a coach firing or leaving.

But it doesn’t seem like money is helping us make the tournament. So what’s the point?

Assuming you are invested in the success of the program (which you clearly are as you post on this board), the point of donating what you can (as this amount will differ for everyone) is to give the program the resources to be as successful as possible during this period of unregulated free agency.

Nothing is guaranteed but sending our coaching staff into a gunfight with only a knife yet expecting them to win (TIRED OF ACCEPTING MEDIOCRITY!!111) isn't a recipe for success.

Tennessee just grabbed my guy Darlinstone Dubar.

Tennessee: top 15 football, basketball and baseball (top 10).

Clemson: top 15 football, basketball final 8 and baseball top 10.

They are doing just fine, but we are not.

Forbes bears the burden of our struggles, Just as he gets to take most of the credit for our successes.

That said, The guy absolutely has not caught a single break since he has been at Wake. From a personal standpoint (Johnetta), being hired during a pandemic, taking over an absolute dumpster fire of a program, having seedy agents and handlers convince star players to leave (Bobi), Not getting the benefit of the doubt to make the tournament because the ACC narrative is that we are "down".

Despite the in game questionable coaching, I really don't think we could have a better option as a coach during these weird rent a player times that we are living in. He is built for this type of thing... I honestly think we will end up doing well with him as our coach..

Assuming you are invested in the success of the program (which you clearly are as you post on this board), the point of donating what you can (as this amount will differ for everyone) is to give the program the resources to be as successful as possible during this period of unregulated free agency.

Nothing is guaranteed but sending our coaching staff into a gunfight with only a knife yet expecting them to win (TIRED OF ACCEPTING MEDIOCRITY!!111) isn't a recipe for success.
I have been incredibly invested. That’s why I’ve been donating every month. But I’m started to question if it’s a wasted effort. We allegedly have a lot of money and we’ve had a ton of key defections at this point. How can we not keep a kid who write an entire essay saying he’d like to work for Forbes? It seems futile.

Hahahaha

80% from the portal! Boo!
And most of those guys (2) were from shitty Central Michigan and Delaware (that played in the NCAAs with Carr)! Booo!
But only 2 of them were from a good program like Gonzaga!

I've read this post a few times and I have no idea what you were trying to say. We shouldn't recruit good players from mid-majors? Is that seriously your argument?

The job of Forbes is to put the most talent possible on his roster. His constraints are: player interest, NIL funds, and academic requirements. There are a very small number of schools that have virtually no constraints. Those schools are going to overpay for the top talent, whether it comes from HS or the portal. The rest of the schools have to have a strategy that makes sense with their specific constraints. Forbes has a lot of contacts and is a strong evaluator of talent... He leverages those things when assembling our roster. Good players come from a number of different places.

Last edited:
Sounds like Indiana landed Rice, Carlyle, and Ballo. That's one hell of a portal haul. Too bad they only have Woodson to coach them.

my HS GF attended a megachurch and it was so big they had their own church bball leagues of just kids at the church, and they had so many kids that her brother's age group had to play 6-on-6 to accommodate everyone.
I've played half court 4 v. 4 on actual carpet before. If you overran the hoop on a layup, you slammed into the stage, too.

yeah that post by the The Reff is just complete nonsense. I have no idea what he is trying to say , which I'm sure happens to him quite frequently in life.

I've played half court 4 v. 4 on actual carpet before. If you overran the hoop on a layup, you slammed into the stage, too.
my elementary/middle school gym was carpet. played a lot of competitive games on it. and yeah, the stage was right there behind one of the hoops as well.

Back