• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

^^^ These are not mutually exclusive. One can recognize the system is broken as a whole but selfishly hope for short-term gain in their team's best interest.

The US Tax Code is beyond need of overhaul but everyone does a joy jump when they realize they're getting a tax refund under the current system.

Whoever is joy jumping after the government returns some of the money it "borrowed" from your paycheck or quarterly tax estimates under the guise of a refund is a moron

Using your criteria, a vast majority of D-1 coaches should be fired. This would include most coaches that made the tournament.

Many programs are losing players in similar numbers to Wake.

Forbes is not the main problem!
Half the coaches in the country will be fired or retire in the next 5-10 years. College basketball coaching is a results based industry.

How is he built for this type of thing? He hasn't had any success doing it. If he is built for this situation, what are the 64 coaches who have made the tournament every year he has been here built for? That is probably 100+ coaches who are doing it better than he does. How about we find the assembly line they rolled off of and go find a coach who was built there.
This is the first season of unregulated free agency. We don't know who will be successful under the new "system."

feels almost irresponsible not to test the waters with the numbers people are talking

Yeah was just talking to someone pretty damn close to the basketball program. The sentiment was "why wouldn't they test the waters with absurd amount of money being thrown around".

It sucks and it's frustrating. And we all hate it. But if I was Boopie or Carr or Ballo or any of those guys, I'm looking to see where I can maximize my earnings

I'm only 28 but this portal stuff is getting insane. I know college sports has always kind of been like this but there were at least deterrents to jumping ship every 6 months for a bigger bag. Aside from 10-12 schools in both football and basketball you can't realistically build a program anymore. Its just gonna become throwing together 9-10 random transfers and hoping they're good on a year to year basis. That's gonna get old quick and NIL has only been around for a little over 3 years...

i agree with this, but most programs our size (ACC) are able to retain their starters and it is the bench players that leave. i would be interested in how many programs in the big 4-5 conferences have lost 40% of their starters to the portal (not draft). this would also not include a coach firing or leaving.
Virginia Tech with Young, who many say is a good guy & good coach, just lost all of his top 5 remaining guys plus the 3 seniors out of eligibility. Last year both SC, NC State & Bama had returning coaches and lost a bunch but brought in 9 great transfers. Look at the seasons they had. I hate to say but this seems to be the new normal.
Getting older seems to help in the NCAA tourney because being young hasn’t helped KY or even Duke.

The church where I worked in my late 20s and early 30s had that sport carpet. I am pretty sure that that is what finally did my knees in.
Refereed back in 80’s & 90’s on both the courts that had stages at the end (very dangerous) and also a few church school games that had carpeted floors. Now that is weird because there isn’t much sound of the dribble. Also almost half of our high schools in Winston had their tables on the baseline. Some had both teams sitting there on each side but some would put each team on opposite side lines. Made for weird dynamics on subs, coaches in your ear and especially having to come way down court to report fouls. Players felt weird not going in & out at midcourt but at a baseline.

yeah that post by the The Reff is just complete nonsense. I have no idea what he is trying to say , which I'm sure happens to him quite frequently in life.
What, that 80% of our starting lineup this year was made up of transfers and that we “robbed” two lesser programs in Cent Mich & Delaware to get them. Much like we having them taken from us now by higher paying programs?

MEMORY LANE: Nothing to do with recruiting: 1950s early 60s HS girls basketball played 6 on the court. Three guards, three forwards. Guards guarded the basket & forwards shot the ball. Neither could cross the mid-court line.
No one could dribble more than twice, then pass the ball. SLOW, SLOW game. Slower than Dean Smith's four corners.
My memory of that game was slightly different. Two backcourt only players
Two front court only players. Two rovers who could play both front court and back court.

Three dribbles. That is what messed up guys. They would casually start dribbling and use up all three before moving.

Strategy was figuring out which players to put into which roles. Biggest in front court for scoring? Backcourt for defense?

So........ A kid wants to be a doctor or lawyer, he goes to Wake & pays $60K -70K per year to become a professional
Another kid wants to be a basketball player, he goes to Wake, gets a free education AND paid $100K+ per year to become a pro.
Hmmmmmmm????

Back