• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

So........ A kid wants to be a doctor or lawyer, he goes to Wake & pays $60K -70K per year to become a professional
Another kid wants to be a basketball player, he goes to Wake, gets a free education AND paid $100K+ per year to become a pro.
Hmmmmmmm????
You didn’t go to Wake to study economics I guess?

If only there was a way for members of the Wake community to put their money together to provide money to entice the top HS and transfer scholars to attend Wake.

actually didn't go to Wake. Just a home grown Forsyth County boy.
Got it. It’s all supply and demand. The number of people capable of playing at that level is much smaller than the number of people capable of studying medicine and a whole hell of a lot smaller than the number of people capable of being lawyers.

Maybe if we had rec medicine leagues, neighborhood surgery centers, an Amateur Medical Union, middle school and high school doctor teams and millions of people watching the top young doctors on TV every year, there would be a market to pay pre-med students.

It sucks and it's frustrating. And we all hate it. But if I was Boopie or Carr or Ballo or any of those guys, I'm looking to see where I can maximize my earnings
exactly. We need to adapt or accept or standing. We need to get into the ballpark of the middle of the park so the kids who really like Wake will stay, even if the numbers are a touch higher someplace else.

Maybe if we had rec medicine leagues, neighborhood surgery centers, an Amateur Medical Union, middle school and high school doctor teams and millions of people watching the top young doctors on TV every year, there would be a market to pay pre-med students.
I was elite at playing doctor during my school years.

Got it. It’s all supply and demand. The number of people capable of playing at that level is much smaller than the number of people capable of studying medicine and a whole hell of a lot smaller than the number of people capable of being lawyers.
Supply and demand, but also societal value of a skill set. There are far fewer people capable of effectively teaching a classroom fully of 7th graders to understand and appreciate Shakespeare or mitosis, than there are people capable of being doctors or lawyers but the pay doesn’t reflect the supply or the demand.

Supply and demand, but also societal value of a skill set. There are far fewer people capable of effectively teaching a classroom fully of 7th graders to understand and appreciate Shakespeare or mitosis, than there are people capable of being doctors or lawyers but the pay doesn’t reflect the supply or the demand.
That’s fair.

I just have little time for people that don’t value the natural talent and incredibly hard work it takes to play at the level these guys do.

That’s fair.

I just have little time for people that don’t value the natural talent and incredibly hard work it takes to play at the level these guys do.
Also fair.

I am happy that the players are able to get paid for their services. Over the decades, the players have made a lot of people very rich and it’s about damn time they got their piece. However, I find this payment model bizarre.

Right. You need more money.

Whatever else happens in America, if there is a dollar to be made we will mess it up. It's only a matter of time before our greed explodes.
matter of time. . . ? its the oldest and most successful tool of destruction since the beginning of time, for all people in all of the world.

certainly not a market America has cornered. it just is what it is. . . we now just have to navigate it in this arena.

sadly

Right. You need more money.
We also need a better coach. Arguably, we've had good players the past few years. Buying that same level of player (ACC POY; 1st Team All-ACC) has been proven not to work with this coach. The money is secondary to the coach.

People love capitalism until it negatively impacts them, or positively impacts folks who they aren't used to seeing succeed, THEN there are problems.

Back