• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

The next shoe to drop is going to be when schools are allowed to pay the players, but now we can’t afford to have soccer and tennis teams because we have to use that money on football and basketball. People are going to hate that too. Pandora’s box has been opened, and we’re never coming back from it. College sports will never be as enjoyable as they were 10 years ago.
Don't disagree at all with your analysis, but over 1,200 or so colleges compete in intercollegiate athletics and we're talking 100 or so that all this change really affects. Granted these 100 are by far the focus of talent, media attention, fan support and financial impact, but the other 1,000 or so will hopefully still be able to field teams, pay for a player's education or at least throw some financial aid their way, and provide some casual interest and entertainment for their fans and alumni. Either way, ready for the shoes to drop/chips to fall, etc. and figure out where we are in all this.

I get the value to the player, but as an alumni/fan, I don't give two shits if we have all-conference players but we can't make the tournament. It arguably makes the situation even worse. Clearly the talent is there. Yes he gets credit for identifying and developing them, but if that does not translate to making the tournament then overall he is still a failure.

You can pay for high-quality ingredients, but if the chef sucks then the dinner is still burnt and awful. On the contrary, a good chef can turn some mediocre ingredients into a great meal. We see that with plenty of teams and coaches every single year. But we never see it ourselves.
I get that. My point was that Forbes seems to shop at Aldi and picks up some produce that's not quite ripe and let's them ripen into a pretty decent dish (even if it ultimately disappoints, it holds promise). We can go out and perhaps find a better chef that can work wonders with good ingredients, but may not have the eye/ripening system that Forbes has, so we have to start shopping at Whole Foods, which may be outside of our budget (plus fighting the crowds of richie riches for the limited offerings).

I don't know if Forbes is the ultimate answer - not ready to say he can't do it, but the time to prove he can is shortening quickly - but you can't dismiss how effectively he's navigated the portal so far. And using the talent of the players he's had as a mark against him for results has to at least acknowledge that those players' talent didn't manifest under other coaches.

Don't disagree at all with your analysis, but over 1,200 or so colleges compete in intercollegiate athletics and we're talking 100 or so that all this change really affects. Granted these 100 are by far the focus of talent, media attention, fan support and financial impact, but the other 1,000 or so will hopefully still be able to field teams, pay for a player's education or at least throw some financial aid their way, and provide some casual interest and entertainment for their fans and alumni. Either way, ready for the shoes to drop/chips to fall, etc. and figure out where we are in all this.
Except that, as a part of all of this, courts are now ruling that the athletes are employees of the schools and have the ability to unionize under the NLRA. There is a pretty strong consensus that this analysis will be extended beyond the NLRA and that athletes will be deemed employees for purposes of other federal labor laws. This has implications for wage and hours laws and minimum wage issues, which impacts all schools and has the real potential to be the end of non-revenue sports at major schools and the end of smaller schools' entire athletic programs. If it is ruled that athletes are employees and must be paid, smaller programs (e.g. the Valpo bowling team or Albany field hockey team) are facing elimination rather than a school actually continuing those programs and coming out of pocket for them. For that matter, schools as large as Stanford have already considered eliminating many athletic programs (11 in the case of Stanford alone, although they reversed that decision following backlash and fundraising) due to the expense of supporting non-revenue athletics.

people don't really watch minor league sports. i think as college sports get closer to that, interest and revenue will start dropping. not a super popular opinion, but i think amateurism (or at least the guise of it) and other restrictions made up a big part of the appeal of college athletics. i do think there was some good in-between to provide addition level of compensation back to some athletes so it didn't all get funneled into coaching salaries and unnecessarily opulent facilities. but probably too late now.

How long before the horror stories on tax Ignorance and/or evasion start to run ramped among these young adults?

Canka showed early on in the season his ankles are very flexible.

Couldn’t we just “get rid” of scholarships for the revenue sports? Have the athletes pay for school with NIL-funded money.

Seems like that helps with Title IX compliance issues and saves school money that can still be used for non-revenue scholarships as deemed appropriate.

Makes no sense to me to give a basketball player a full ride scholarship if they are being paid six figures to play for us with no loyalty obligations. Just bake it in.

That might kill football for us but football at wake cannot survive long term in current system.

Any news?
Forbes and staff have always been secretive about their portal recruiting, and word is that policy has been ramped up even more in this portal recruiting cycle because: a) they have a major portal needs, b) all schools are well aware that WF has been strong at evaluating portal talent, and the last thing WF wants is to have another school get turned on to a WF portal target after WF has made that player a priority c) for the most part, WF portal targets are aware that going public with WF interest in them could jeopardize their recruitment.

So, as much as possible, WF is trying to limit the flow of any news on portal recruiting until the player is ready to publicly commit. Put another way, no one outside the staff and the targets knows much right now.

Apparently, there are visits going on in the next week.

Last edited:
people don't really watch minor league sports. i think as college sports get closer to that, interest and revenue will start dropping. not a super popular opinion, but i think amateurism (or at least the guise of it) and other restrictions made up a big part of the appeal of college athletics. i do think there was some good in-between to provide addition level of compensation back to some athletes so it didn't all get funneled into coaching salaries and unnecessarily opulent facilities. but probably too late now.

Could be. I think the appeal of college sports are the strong connections alumni have to their schools and built-in rivalries.

The bigger problem as I see it, is that the current environment basically disincentivizes players to stay at schools, which decreases the connection between the players, the schools and fans. That lack of continuity and connection makes it hard as a fan to be invested in the team and sport in general, which will lead to problems down the road.

Yeah but we’ve seen fans can get attached to players who are only at their school for a few months. That’s not nearly as big of an issue as people claim.

The tax issue is overblown. Most people are happy to make plenty of money and just pay their taxes.

Forbes and staff have always been secretive about their portal recruiting, and word is that policy has been ramped up even more in this portal recruiting cycle because: a) they have a major portal needs, b) all schools are well aware that WF has been strong at evaluating portal talent, and the last thing WF wants is to have another school get turned on to a WF portal target after WF has made that player a priority c) for the most part, WF portal targets are aware that going public with WF interest in them could jeopardize their recruitment.

So, as much as possible, WF is trying to limit the flow of any news on portal recruiting until the player is ready to publicly commit. Put another way, no one outside the staff and the targets knows much right now.

Apparently, there are visits going on in the next week.
I bet Cam Lemons knows it all but he just isn't at liberty to tell us.

Back