• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

What stopped that before with the coaching salaries and facilities arms race? That’s not new.

It's totally new. A person can choose to buy an entire team of players. That goes well beyond facilities and coaches.

I'm just annoyed that it's seemingly going to work out swimmingly for them. They purge the guys they don't really need/want, bring in the #1 HS class, and then pick 2 dudes from the portal to mostly sit the bench that would be valuable pieces elsewhere.

I have confidence in Forbes, but we have a gaping hole of 5-6 scholarships to fill.

As I see it, this is kind of how it has always been. In Wake's good times, it's generally been able to cobble together a pretty solid starting five, but we have always struggled to get talent on the bench. That was a main shortcoming this year, and it was a main shortcoming 20 years ago. The only real difference these last few years is that 20 years ago the ACC got a lot more respect come tournament time.

NIL brings a lot more (unnecessary) drama to it. That's for sure.

Do they draw a line anywhere. After all, HS athletes work just as hard at their sport & go to class. The coaches/teachers get extra pay. And the schools make money from football & basketball.
So do all these AAU tournaments. Just wondering if it will ever stop anywhere. Haha, nope I'm not an economics major.

Yeah I mean what's to prevent some billionaire from saying gosh it would be fun to see my alma mater be good at football for once, so I am going to offer $5 million to every top 100 player who will come play - every year.
Definitely why I've thought Wake football was entering a new era where this was at least possible. I would think the bigger schools would be concerned that this kind of thing potentially evens the playing field a bit more, unless they're the big spenders.

Again, SMU is a good test case. And I mean what better example than a school that previously got the death penalty.

Well i am all in with the camp that thinks this all sucks. We recruit kids who we will never see develop and we develop kids who vanish after a year or two. Perhaps a happy medium can be reached but I will not hold my breath with all the money floating around. Can see myself not caring in a year or two unless things change. Oh well there is always pickle ball

Yeah, because they’ve all been recruited over. Not comparable to our situation at all. Pretty safe to pencil in Duke to the second round of the tournament already.
But no farther. Kind of sad considering they have the #1 recruiting class in the nation.

Jalen Warley about to become the 8th player to enter the portal from FSU this year.

#notjustus

I know no one cares anymore, but, it would be interesting to compare 5 year graduation rates of Div. 1 basketball and football players before the relaxed transfer rules and NIL and after. Obviously excluding the kids that leave early and get drafted... I worry about the kids that are not at the level to go make it big in the pro ranks but end up bouncing from school to school and never graduate. Perhaps my concern is misplaced and there won't be a significant drop off... but I feel like there will be...

Well i am all in with the camp that thinks this all sucks. We recruit kids who we will never see develop and we develop kids who vanish after a year or two. Perhaps a happy medium can be reached but I will not hold my breath with all the money floating around. Can see myself not caring in a year or two unless things change. Oh well there is always pickle ball
We also poach kids who have been developed elsewhere and they wind up on All-ACC teams.

The whole thing may still suck, but everybody is going through this.

Do they draw a line anywhere. After all, HS athletes work just as hard at their sport & go to class. The coaches/teachers get extra pay. And the schools make money from football & basketball.
So do all these AAU tournaments. Just wondering if it will ever stop anywhere. Haha, nope I'm not an economics major.
Your analysis is not wrong as it relates to high school sports. For years I was associated with a powerhouse high school football program that defintiely made a profit, which in large part helped fund other sports at the school.

Back