• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

One of the attractions that college sports held for many, especially alums, was that the athletes went to classes in the same buildings they did, took the same classes, perhaps with the same professors, walked on the same grass etc. The farther away from this scenario college athletics gets, IMHO, the less support from alums. Once alum support dries up, so will support from others.

I keep reading this over and over, but all we've seen is MORE support across the board from alums/townies at nearly every big time school.

Yeah I don't think the attraction is the athletes are in the same buildings/dorms etc as alums. I think it is being proud of your school and athletics is the way to show that and manifest your love for the school.

Could be. I think the appeal of college sports are the strong connections alumni have to their schools and built-in rivalries.

The bigger problem as I see it, is that the current environment basically disincentivizes players to stay at schools, which decreases the connection between the players, the schools and fans. That lack of continuity and connection makes it hard as a fan to be invested in the team and sport in general, which will lead to problems down the road.
yeah, it's why I watch Wake soccer on ESPN+ but don't watch USL soccer, which is made up of a lot of the same caliber of players

like a lot of things, what we had was good until there was too much money involved -- it's both true that players should get a cut of the money and the process of making that happen will kill the best of what it was

I keep reading this over and over, but all we've seen is MORE support across the board from alums/townies at nearly every big time school.
Yes. All signs point to increasing NIL resources from all schools.

When a school gets bad news like Carr going in the portal, there is an inevitable flood of posts about how the world of college sports has come to end. Then, within the next few weeks, WF will have a set of commits from interesting portal prospects, minutes projections will bloom, deep dives into the new additions will make us giddy, and by this Summer, we will all be back on the bandwagon, and maybe our hearts aren't broken this time. I am excited to see what the staff can do with more money available and lots of slots to fill. I liked Andrew Carr, but jesus, he's not a program changing player.

i know you guys are party loyalists to college sports but you cannot objectively step back and say "yes, things are good"
Not saying things are good or bad. They are different. Understand if these changes make some lose all interest in college sports. This was so obviously coming that, at this point, it's more interesting to me than anything else. Every coach at every school has to go into mass scramble mode after each season and essentially rebuild the roster. Not defending Forbes as a game coach, but do think that he is among the best-suited in college basketball to build a team in the current environment. WF built almost an entirely new roster each of the past three years, and it entertained me, even if the end of the season caused pain.

That's where we are, and I'm ok with it.

FWIW, Duke now has five players in the portal.
6 frosh coming in, 5 in the portal going out, 2 others in the NBA Draft, and 1 out of eligibility.

That means they now have 2 spots for the 2 players they are supposedly bringing in from the portal.

They might have everything figured out by the end of the week!

6 frosh coming in, 5 in the portal going out, 2 others in the NBA Draft, and 1 out of eligibility.

That means they now have 2 spots for the 2 players they are supposedly bringing in from the portal.

They might have everything figured out by the end of the week!
They’ll have a great roster to win the same number of titles as we will next year.

Yeah. Women’s sports are thriving arguably because of the portal and definitely due to NIL.

They’ll have a great roster to win the same number of titles as we will next year.
I'm just annoyed that it's seemingly going to work out swimmingly for them. They purge the guys they don't really need/want, bring in the #1 HS class, and then pick 2 dudes from the portal to mostly sit the bench that would be valuable pieces elsewhere.

I have confidence in Forbes, but we have a gaping hole of 5-6 scholarships to fill.

Yeah I mean what's to prevent some billionaire from saying gosh it would be fun to see my alma mater be good at football for once, so I am going to offer $5 million to every top 100 player who will come play - every year.

Not saying things are good or bad. They are different. Understand if these changes make some lose all interest in college sports. This was so obviously coming that, at this point, it's more interesting to me than anything else. Every coach at every school has to go into mass scramble mode after each season and essentially rebuild the roster. Not defending Forbes as a game coach, but do think that he is among the best-suited in college basketball to build a team in the current environment. WF built almost an entirely new roster each of the past three years, and it entertained me, even if the end of the season caused pain.

That's where we are, and I'm ok with it.

I think there are two separate things. I agree that folks losing their minds about the outgoing transfers, claiming that it's evidence Forbes is incompetent and WF is doomed are missing the big picture. And overall agree that WF seems decently positioned in mens hoops if everything we are hearing is true.

But independent of that, I think a lot of people agree (myself included) that college basketball and probably college sports more broadly have started heading down a pretty horrible and possibly self-destructive path.

Yeah I mean what's to prevent some billionaire from saying gosh it would be fun to see my alma mater be good at football for once, so I am going to offer $5 million to every top 100 player who will come play - every year.
What stopped that before with the coaching salaries and facilities arms race? That’s not new.

yeah, it's why I watch Wake soccer on ESPN+ but don't watch USL soccer, which is made up of a lot of the same caliber of players

like a lot of things, what we had was good until there was too much money involved -- it's both true that players should get a cut of the money and the process of making that happen will kill the best of what it was
This is the funny part - funny weird, not funny ha-ha... The players are not getting a "cut of the money". I was talking to a sports fan friend of mine last night and he didn't really understand that. He was saying how glad he was that the players were getting to share in all the billions their sport brings in and taking some of that money away from the greedy schools, administrators, and coaches. When I pointed out that was not what was happening, he was quite unhappy.
In fact, as we all know, the players are getting money but it is just additional money from us - the fans. All the billions pulled in by the major universities and their coaches from TV deals, ticket sales, shoe contracts, etc. etc. is still going to the schools and the coaches. Nothing has changed there one whit.
The current situation is not at all what was intended by the courts when they decided that kids should be able to monetize their name, image, and likeness - it is an unintended consequence of opening up the floodgates and taking away the NCAA's ability to govern.

What stopped that before with the coaching salaries and facilities arms race? That’s not new.
Huh? Coaching salaries and facilities are very different from directly paying players. I know some players got bags before but it was clandestine, carried some risk, and was generally on a much smaller scale. Certainly no billionaire could offer to pay an entire team $5M each as was the hypothetical posited...

Could potentially be a good change of course for Mr. David Tepper.

Back