• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

A parent of a student visited with me a week or so ago and commented her student said the word around campus was there was dissension on the team. FWIW
That does explain a lot as it was just baffling we went from the high of Duke to utter collapse.

We took a break after the end of the regular season, but the BOTG is finally back. An hour + of Wake Forest discussion including: the end of the season, Steve Forbes' comments on what went wrong, the transfer portal, what the Deacs need to do to get back to the NCAAT and more.

Available below:

I realize that the portal is a new thing, but good lord we shouldn't be losing 6 players to transfer in the same year. Ever.

Did y'all ask about that @EssexThayer? or did it happen too recently?

How are teams far better than us - Purdue, for example - holding on to players in this environment? Far greater NIL resources based on size?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I realize that the portal is a new thing, but good lord we shouldn't be losing 6 players to transfer in the same year. Ever.

Did y'all ask about that @EssexThayer? or did it happen too recently?
We recorded this podcast last night, so I had to add a little note at the beginning about it being before the big transfer wave today.

Tbh, none of these transfers surprise me too much. Boopie a bit, the others I saw coming. And I always thought Wake was going to recruit over Boopie, just hoped he might stick around and compete/be a sixth man or something.

This is the new age of college basketball. Virginia Tech has lost its top 7 players in 2 days. Gonna take some time, but I think Forbes will play this correctly.

Barring anything crazy, Wake will have a strong returning base imo. And if Sallis decides an extra college year is the move, things get even better. But I think this is just where college sports are now. Luckily, Wake Forest has a coach with a track record of winning the portal. Deacs really need depth now. That was, I think, the biggest issue this year. Limited guys you could trust.

That does explain a lot as it was just baffling we went from the high of Duke to utter collapse.
Well, in this day of putting together almost a new team every year, you're going to see that. Gone all the days of 3 to 5 guys coming into together and building a brotherhood for 4 years.

Wonder if we have a chance with AJ Storr. Would obviously be a monster get. He's probably bound for a blue-blood though.

How does a team get depth if they can’t recruit additional players at a position? How does a team get depth if players don’t stay to earn playing time from one year to the next?

Are you asking about WF specifically, or college basketball as a whole? Because it’s definitely a problem to solve. Eventually there are only so many spots of musical chairs I guess.

They get lucky on freshmen coming in ready to supplement the knowns or they have 9 former McD on the bench.

Are you asking about WF specifically, or college basketball as a whole? Because it’s definitely a problem to solve. Eventually there are only so many spots of musical chairs I guess.

In general but it’s not as big of a problem for better programs. Wake can’t promise players that they’ll make the tournament. There’s no bad team tax so to speak. But not having that incentive hurts Wake.

In general but it’s not as big of a problem for better programs. Wake can’t promise players that they’ll make the tournament.

Players care less about making the tournament than making their future. Playing time and NIL are king not in that order.

All Hypothetical numbers, but pretty much the roster process coaches will have to follow now. From other comments we can assume we have between $1.5M and $2.0M for the upcoming season.

Let's say $1.8M

Top player - Sallis: $550k (comment was made that we'd be able to support something at $500k+ to help him return)
Player 2 - Reid: $300k
Player 3 - Carr: $225k
Player 4 - Cam: $225k
Player 5 - Portal PG: $175k (P5 average starter?)
Player 6 - Portal Wing: $125k
Player 7 - Portal Backup Big: $50k
Player 8 - PF - $50k
Player 9 - Juke $50k
Players 10-13: Marion, Canka, Portal Bench, Late Hs/Intl - $12.5k each

Say Boopie wanted $400k and Depaul or someone is going to give it to him -- we'd have to choose between players 5-7 or losing one of Reid/Carr/Cam in order to keep him. Hard choices and will depend on us getting effective players for it to work out - but choices that have to be made in this new world.

Sallis makes this complicated. Do we set aside that much of our normal budget for him - or would we spend more on incoming players and have some donor ready with "backup" dollars just for him. If the former, it's potentially limiting in who we go after now. And if he decides to stay in the draft late (the most likely outcome), almost all of the players worth that kind of haul would have signed elsewhere. So we'd take the hit next year when we really need to make our mark, rolling the dollars into the following year's pot.
The NCAA has totally fucked college sports.

Back