• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Reading between the lines, it sounds like we only have so much NIL to go around (obviously) and Boopie was 5th or worse on our list of priorities behind replacing Hunter, Carr, Cam and Efton.
Seems like a problem if there's not enough NIL to retain 5 returning players on a basketball team.

Is this the moment where the feels fall off? Because it sure feels like this is the moment where the wheels are falling off the Forbes Express.

I don't think so. I think in a month or two, we'll feel pretty good about next season.

He understands the pressure to make the tourney... Need to continue to get better across the board.

I like Boopie but he definitely comes across as a very strong self promoter. Good for him, it just doesn’t always work within team dynamics.
I really like Boopie and this is not a knock on him. I love watching him play and wish him the best wherever he goes, but I do think from some of his statements that he wants to be the focal point of an offense, and he was not that here. So I interpret his comments about being held back, not in terms of minutes, but being the main focus of an offense.

This is why you don’t hang onto a lame duck coach. You cut bait before the ship sinks to the bottom of the ocean.

I had high hopes for Marsh, but none of them were ever realized. He didn't do a single thing well. I'm not sure if that's on the coaches or what, but give me a 6'9, gritty rebounder over a 7'1 marshmallow any day. There are 100 players in the portal right now that could slam Appleby alley-oops. No ill will towards the guy, and I wish him well, but this is probably best for all involved.

We will get talented players out of the portal to replace these guys. I'm betting on an upgrade here but obviously wish each of these young men the best in pursuing their dreams.

Maybe Hunter is coming back and we have recruited over Boopie
No. At least not yet. WF wanted Boopie back. Although a retrun is not likely, it's at best uncertain what Sallis does, and WF is the middle of evaluating potential portal adds

The RTQ rep already disclosed that Boopie's departure was driven by $.

these sweet, sweet open scholarships will make portal season creamy's minute projection season exciting

This is why you don’t hang onto a lame duck coach. You cut bait before the ship sinks to the bottom of the ocean.

A different coach wasn't going to convince Boopie to stay unless he gave Boopie part of the signing bonus

Everyone is losing players in the portal. Until we lose our main core of guys to the portal I won’t be worried. This is just the nature of where the sport is now. Yeah it sucks to lose Boopie, especially bc he had 2 more years to develop his game but I’m pretty confident that we can find someone to replace him.

Seems like a problem if there's not enough NIL to retain 5 returning players on a basketball team.
It’s not a surprise that Wake Forest has to be strategic with resources. If your average ACC payroll is $1-3M and your average player can demand upwards of $750K, then decisions have to be made. If our offer was functionally the 4th or 5th value slot on our payroll, and Boopie was receiving interest elsewhere slotted at 1st or 2nd, then he makes the call to leave. It seems most agree that there are 3-4 players more valuable than Boopie to retain and/or recruit.

Everyone is losing players in the portal. Until we lose our main core of guys to the portal I won’t be worried. This is just the nature of where the sport is now. Yeah it sucks to lose Boopie, especially bc he had 2 more years to develop his game but I’m pretty confident that we can find someone to replace him.
The sky isn’t falling, but starting PG seems fundamentally one of our main core of guys.

Sucks that we'd have a NCAAT team next season with another season under their belts with the returning players, but it's all about the $$$ and now that won't be the case. :(
The good news is your entire starting lineup returns next year. The bad news is your entire starting lineup returns next season. 😁

I had high hopes for Marsh, but none of them were ever realized. He didn't do a single thing well. I'm not sure if that's on the coaches or what, but give me a 6'9, gritty rebounder over a 7'1 marshmallow any day. There are 100 players in the portal right now that could slam Appleby alley-oops. No ill will towards the guy, and I wish him well, but this is probably best for all involved.
Kind of surprised that nickname never emerged.

It’s not a surprise that Wake Forest has to be strategic with resources. If your average ACC payroll is $1-3M and your average player can demand upwards of $750K, then decisions have to be made. If our offer was functionally the 4th or 5th value slot on our payroll, and Boopie was receiving interest elsewhere slotted at 1st or 2nd, then he makes the call to leave. It seems most agree that there are 3-4 players more valuable than Boopie to retain and/or recruit.
I also don’t think it’s wrong or unreasonable to say that Wake Forest simultaneously punches above our weight and is behind some of our key competitors.

Back