• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

re: Sallis. There's a chance. He and his agent love Wake. Parents do too. Needs a guarantee from the NBA. He will be either at Wake or in the NBA next season.

Hunter's connections help as well. Even if he's not in Winston-Salem next year, there's a real chance the Sallis connection is still helping WF.

Deacs offered Yalden out of HS; think WF was pretty heavily involved. He red-shirted last year:

As of right now, we have four portal spots + Juke to replace one contributor. I posted a complete breakdown of Forbes's portal transfers here, but here's a list, arranged roughly in order by value:

Alondes
Appleby
Sallis
LaRavia
Carr
Monsanto
Reid
Boopie
Walton
Williamson
Sy
Bradford
Canka
Ituka

Of those 14, only 3 (21.4%) were not or have not yet been contributors. Even among those 3, you can asterisk Jao based on his injuries, and Canka was a very late, last-resort option after Klintmann's departure. Four of those players (28.6%) made an All-ACC team. Two of them (14.3%) were named ACCPOY by one outlet or another. I would estimate 8-9 of them (57-64%) would be in contention to start on next year's team.

Maybe having more players returning, and therefore a less-obvious path to playing time, will hurt us. Maybe having NIL in place will help us. I'm not sure, but I dont think it's unreasonable for us to expect to get one really good player, one starting caliber player, one contributor, and one bust out of our four portal spots. Add Juke to that, and I think we're in a great spot for next year. Obviously, if Sallis leaves, that makes the math harder, but still manageable. If Reid, Carr, Cam, or PFred enter the portal, then it's time to panic. On the other hand, if we keep those guys and can finally add both a nothingburger and guy whose thing isn't scoring in the same year, then the ceiling is the roof.

Haven’t read all of the posts but Marsh is in the portal as well, if it’s hasn’t already been reported.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yalden is not athletic enough to guard the post. He has been trying to slim down and play on the perimeter and it did not go well. He was thought to be the bottom of Wisconsin's bench which included some former walkons (e.g., Carter Gilmore).

i've been trying to temper my anti-boopie takes this season because i was afraid i would be persecuted for my beliefs.

but now that he's gone i can say it out loud -- in my opinion, boopie has no business playing point guard on a good team and our offense was much better when sallis (who also isn't a point guard) was handling the lead duties in the offense. overall i think he wasn't nearly as effective as his stats might suggest, and he has some "losing player / empty stats" tendencies to him.

i think he's still useful as a microwave-type bench player in the acc, but i think that was never realistic.
Good kid who preformed well, just not against ACC competition. Friends and I called him the Mid-Major Menace. Think he would've figured out ACC ball over the offseason with us, but guess not.

Sucks too for Marsh that we weren't able to get in with the rapport he had with Appleby on all those lobs. Loved watching those last year.

Optimistic with this one but I do think there's a chance Sallis comes back-- I remember in a presser post-Pitt he said that he loves Wake and is looking forward to continuing his time here.

re: Sallis. There's a chance. He and his agent love Wake. Parents do too. Needs a guarantee from the NBA. He will be either at Wake or in the NBA next season.

Hunter's connections help as well. Even if he's not in Winston-Salem next year, there's a real chance the Sallis connection is still helping WF.
Sounds good. I wouldn’t mind grabbing this other Omaha native: Saint Thomas.

Seems like a problem if there's not enough NIL to retain 5 returning players on a basketball team.
There may be a gap between the value the player has for himself and the value others have for him as part of the Wake lineup. Boopie may believe he should be the highest paid guy at Wake. Other people may feel differently.

Everybody has a budget and priorities. How much is an equivalent or better point guard likely to cost in the portal market? Where is that number relative to Boopie's asking price?

If I'm buying a car and my local dealer wants $2K over sticker and a dealer three towns away is selling a similar vehicle, maybe even one that fits me better, at $1K below sticker, which do I buy?

sallis is in touch with Saint Thomas

not sure if he's an ACC level player though

This new model of college basketball me wonder when is the next time Wake will have a player whose stats are good enough, and who's here long enough, and who accomplishes enough, to merit jersey retirement.

Ummm.... never.

I'm down to trade losing Boopie for keeping Sallis.

It's going to hurt when we have neither though. Especially when Sallis gets his NBA guarantee way too late to get an adequate replacement in the portal

I have no idea what actually happens behind the scenes, but I have to think the Bobi deal looks a lot different with the institutionalized NIL we have set up now.

This new model of college basketball me wonder when is the next time Wake will have a player whose stats are good enough, and who's here long enough, and who accomplishes enough, to merit jersey retirement.
I think that is a pretty easy answer - never.

Are kidding me? This is all about the Benjamins. If DePaul offers the most money, Boopie will be playing for 9th place in the Big East with a big stash in his pocket.
Was talking about Riley Kugel, not Boopie. Arizona, Connecticut, Kansas, and Houston.

Back