• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

i just don't get why our staff keeps recruiting players who obviously can't play for us

can they just not evaluate high school-aged prospects?

that doesn't really mesh with how good they appear to be at evaluating college-aged prospects and high school-aged prospects overseas

Forbes should have made Bobi ride the bench like Manning did to Collins. Would have had more depth this past season.

Should have also told his team captain and the best pure shooter to ever wear a WF jersey not to get hurt multiple years in a row.

He did until Monsanto got hurt.

U.S. HS recruits under Forbes:

4 star Carter Whitt -- transfer after 1.5 seasons
3 star Lucas Taylor -- transfer after 2 seasons
3 start Robert McCrary -- transfer after 1 season and 1 RS season
4 star Zach Keller -- 2 seasons; future TBD
3 star Aaron Clark -- transfer after 1 season
4 star Parker Friedrichsen -- 1 season

Have hopes for Parker and Juke, but man, that is a rough HS recruiting record through 3.5 seasons. After Parker, I guess Carter Whitt has been the most successful U.S. HS recruit under Forbes...
Man Keller was really a 4 star huh? I don’t mean to dunk on the kid (metaphorically) but what happened? He must have had swagger and easily been the best player in his entire conference, right? He just seems like he has no confidence out there in the slightest.

I don't have the time / energy to compare Forbes to our peer schools in terms of HS recruiting. But if be curious to know if others have the same issue.

It seems if the kids blows up a la Klintman then they leave. And if they don't play much they aren't willing to stick around and also leave. I think that's a tough place to be trying to thread a needle. It seems much easier to grab mature talent and hope one or two high schools guys pans out. Wild and weird times in college sports these days

He is unlikely to be eligible, as Wake would not accept enough credits to have him classified as an academic senior in fall 2024. Wake would likely accept only 60 transfer credits. He would need 90 to be an academic senior (one year of classes needed to graduate) to match his athletic status ( one year of eligibility remaining.) That would make him academically ineligible per NCAA requirements.
And he's only had three years in college. Knowing his family, I think a degree would be important, so probably not a good fit for him also.

You’ve got to have a 10-13, so take a flier on years where scholarships allow it. Either you get a Carrington/Lowe/GT freshmen this season or you get players that compete in practice but aren’t ready. Those likely move on in this era if they don’t see a path after year 1 or 2. I don’t understand the hang-up people have with this, especially when we now have several multi year transfers that are contributing immediately.

I think HS players not playing are going to leave these days. Developing players is a lost art with the way the transfer portal is now. We are a little lucky that our top players are not also leaving to the Blue Chip schools (without a coach selling them off (e.g. Manning).

Others have mentioned it, but Virginia Tech is screwed.

5 guys in the portal (4 of them rotation guys).
3 other rotation guys are out of eligibility.

That leaves them with 1 guy that played any real minutes for them... Tyler Nickel.

Good luck!

How many consecutive games did Clark log zero minutes prior to Sunday?

Every team has freshmen that don’t work out. Every single one. That floor looks different for kids, and Wake hasn’t consistently recruited blue chip players that didn’t live in Forsyth County for years.

Freshmen that transfer out isn’t necessarily bad. It frees up a scholarship to try to find better talent that can contribute. Many of these transfers are likely Forbes being honest with players about their prospects going forward. That’s a good thing. The flip side is like duke that hoards 5* players and parks them on the end of the bench for their entire college career.

Every team has freshmen that don’t work out. Every single one. That floor looks different for kids, and Wake hasn’t consistently recruited blue chip players that didn’t live in Forsyth County for years.

Freshmen that transfer out isn’t necessarily bad. It frees up a scholarship to try to find better talent that can contribute. Many of these transfers are likely Forbes being honest with players about their prospects going forward. That’s a good thing. The flip side is like duke that hoards 5* players and parks them on the end of the bench for their entire college career.
this

and by "every team" that includes every single G David Odom team, for those interested. I once heard the man say, "it's a lot easier to throw the guys out of the boat than to get them in the boat"

Last edited:
Back