• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Does Planned Parenthood Pay For Abortions?

BillBrasky

#PSF
Reaction score
This seems to be the central issue holding up the final budget. Does it? And if it does, does it do it legally, without using federal dollars? I seriously don't know the answer to the question.

Yes. Planned Parenthood performs 300,000 abortions per year. However, it is only approximately 3% of its services.

But not a single of those funds come form the government. It's an entirely separate entity with separate funds and books.

But not a single of those funds come form the government. It's an entirely separate entity with separate funds and books.

If that's true than I have no problem with what Planned Parenthood does. I'm sure we can cut some funding to them but I'm not sure that getting rid of all federal funding is a positive solution.

It's been against the law for decades for a single penny from the federal government to pay for abortions.

This is not even in contention. The Hyde Amendment stands.

I think the Republicans should just leave Planned Parenthood alone.

the lack of knowledge around this issue basically defines our stupidity on a national scale.

+1 This really is just another thing in a long list of things that people have opinions about and have no clue, or are told the facts and just don't care and dig in with their uniformed, or misinformed opinions

I used to be as far right on abortion as you could be but, I'm completely opposite now. I'm actually for abortion. If it's one less mouth that I have to feed or support, I'd just assume pay for it. Besides, We have no business worrying about abortion and whether gays can marry when we got 4 dollar gas. Those issues are just distractions to the real issue.

Here is the problem with "doesn't use federal funds."

No, but by using federal funds for adminstrative operations, this frees up money that would otherwise have to go to same to be used for abortion.

Accounting gimmicks don't change the fact that we are funding part of a budget of an abortion provider.

That being said, I'm not for tanking the federal government over the issue. But we should at least be honest about the effect.

I think the Republicans should just leave Planned Parenthood alone.

+1, there are much better ways of cutting the budget. Cutting the funding to PP isn't going to stop stupid and/or poor people from having unprotected sex and getting STDs.

I used to be as far right on abortion as you could be but, I'm completely opposite now. I'm actually for abortion. If it's one less mouth that I have to feed or support, I'd just assume pay for it. Besides, We have no business worrying about abortion and whether gays can marry when we got 4 dollar gas. Those issues are just distractions to the real issue.

This also describes my view on the matter. Also, since I won't ever have to make such a monumental decision, I believe it is best to ere on the side of more rights vs fewer rights.

IIRC, you were one of the biggest anti gay marriage voices on the DS political forum. Welcome to the good side!

Have a pos rep.

Let's assume for a second that federal money is indirectly paying for abortions.

Which do you think is cheaper, paying for an abortion or housing someone in prison because their parent(s) didn't want them and didn't raise them?

Abortion is much cheaper! Are you kidding?

It's a shame scientists can't figure out how to fix everyone around puberty and then when you actually WANTED a kid, you would go have it reversed. They really should get on that.. It would solve so many problems.

Back