• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach [Redacted]

DeaconKing

Reaction score
while he was our only offer last April he wasn't our first choice. Overtures were sent to Brad Stevens, Steve Alford and to a lesser extent Tubby Smith. All were quickly and politely declined.

Some close to the situation feel that RW panicked after these initial overtures were declined fearing a drawn-out public coaching search. RW was also the first to mention Coach [Redacted]'s name, and many others involved in the search hadn't even heard of him before.

while he was our only offer last April he wasn't our first choice. Overtures were sent to Brad Stevens, Steve Alford and to a lesser extent Tubby Smith. All were quickly and politely declined.

Some close to the situation feel that RW panicked after these initial overtures were declined fearing a drawn-out public coaching search. RW was also the first to mention Coach [Redacted]'s name, and many others involved in the search hadn't even heard of him before.

INSIDER!!!!

Was this public knowledge? I don't remember all of this stuff going down last year, but I wasn't following all that closely.

Do you have anything to back that up? Or is it just more hearsay? Granted, that all sounds believable, but I'd like to see some sort of evidence

Was this public knowledge? I don't remember all of this stuff going down last year, but I wasn't following all that closely.

No, this was not public knowledge. Things were played very closely.

This seems the most likely scenario. RW played it close to the chest and when we didn't get anyone great, it looked like he went after his buddy.

RW may catch a lot of crap for this hire but I would be shocked to see any concrete evidence that we didn't at least court any good coaches. The argument may be made that we didn't try hard enough, but that's really difficult to say without inside knowledge of what the AD did and didn't do.

This seems the most likely scenario. RW played it close to the chest and when we didn't get anyone great, it looked like he went after his buddy.

RW may catch a lot of crap for this hire but I would be shocked to see any concrete evidence that we didn't at least court any good coaches. The argument may be made that we didn't try hard enough, but that's really difficult to say without inside knowledge of what the AD did and didn't do.

I don't doubt that we didn't go after some good coaches. I do think we didn't try hard enough, though.

Seems believable enough to me. RW didn't want to be viewed as mucking it up like NC State getting "heismaned" over and over again. So he went for the sure thing for his first offer.

Too bad he picked an absolute lemon.

Was there really no one else we could go after?

Why was [Redacted] even on his radar?

[Redacted] was (at that point in time) thought to be a pretty decent coach and looked like he had the Colorado program turning around, which was no easy task. Definitely not a top pick, but someone Wellman would definitely view as a safe pick after he'd been rejected by a few others.

What were Alford and Smith's reasonings for turning down the job assuming they did so? Did we lowball them??? I could see Tubby choosing to stay in Minnesota. He's getting older and it's very comfortable for him. However, I have a hard time seeing Steve Alford not being at least somewhat interested in the Wake job....

[Redacted] was (at that point in time) thought to be a pretty decent coach and looked like he had the Colorado program turning around, which was no easy task. Definitely not a top pick, but someone Wellman would definitely view as a safe pick after he'd been rejected by a few others.

Maybe its just homerism, but I just can't believe that we got turned down by so many other head coaches.

I can potentially see that, especially if we didn't have top dollar to offer because of the Dino buyout.

wrt to Alford, didn't he earn a 3 seed in the tourney last year with a pretty young team? Maybe he thought he could accomplish something bigger there before leaving?

The higher ups in the DC funded the Dino buyout. From that I would hope that money wasn't an issue for a new coach.

Sadly, with our current AD the casual fan will never know the full truth. God forbid he inform the people that care about the program.

100% agreed.

If you want to move up you also have "to strike while the iron is hot." Maybe after flaming out at Iowa Alford is happy where he's at and enjoys an atmosphere where there's less pressure...

Tubby Smith expressed some interest, but at the end of the day the funding wasn't there to bring him to Winston-Salem.

Brad Stevens was the first coach Wake contacted (and feelers were sent out even prior to Dino's actual dismissal) but after Butler made it through to the Final Four he politely declined.

Back